Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff282

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Toronto
I’m in the same boat as others, tried a 3rd pair. I think I give up on these for the time being. Will pick up a pair of AP2 until they fix these

JasonQG

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Took me 3 tries to get a good set. Annoying, but I'm happy to have it straightened out.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just picked up my AP3s yesterday. Today I notice a slight high pitched sound in the right earbud after it connects, but seems to come and go (nothing playing, just connected).

It this part of the same issue? What causes that high pitched (but quiet) sound, and could it be fixed via firmware updates or should I return/re-purchase the AirPods?

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
Same high-frequency hissing issue here for me, right hand side, occasional (not always the case).
I've yet to pinpoint what triggers it to be honest.
I'll probably return my pair at some point in December unless a software fix happens, and try my luck another time at some point in 2022... because I love these earbuds.

k1im

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2020
New firmware updates for all AirPods models. Wonder if that fixed the issue? Trying to update mine.
Any news? praying every freaking second that new firmware fixed the issue. I reordered the 2nd gen because of that hissing noise

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
For me the hissing was intermittent, so I won't know whether it still occurs or not for a while.

EDIT : just had it moments ago, so for me it didn't solve the problem I experience (occasional very high frequency hiss in the background, right earbud). This is annoying.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
No changes. My AirPods 3 on the latest firmware 4C165 still hisses. This is my fourth pair. Definitely going back and seriously considering not getting a replacement pair at all.

You picked these over AirPods Pro because of silicone tips in Pros or some other reason?

Pros have their own serious firmware issues. Lord knows when Apple will fix them.

Vincent_8798

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
Really? Anyone else solved the problem with the latest beta? Sadly I gave the AirPods 3 to the Apple Store, to try to fix them, two days ago…

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Really? Anyone else solved the problem with the latest beta? Sadly I gave the AirPods 3 to the Apple Store, to try to fix them, two days ago…
I’ve been trying to hear the hissing for the last hour in quiet spots around my home. It’s gone. 100%. I must mentioned I updated to 15.3 beta 1 then reset my AirPods 3 and reconnected them. Whatever has happened it’s fixed for me. No doubt

Vincent_8798

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
First of all, Merry Christmas guys ??.

I also installed the iOS 15.3 beta 1, I tried to reset my AirPods 3, tested them, and sadly all I can say is that the problem was not solved. I still can hear the coil whine…

• Sad
Reactions: ivantheipodder

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Bought my daughter a pair of these for Christmas and she has the noise in the right pod. Neither me or the wife can hear it.
Gunna have to send back and order another pair but only going to try one more set.

Vincent_8798

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
Upgrade my iphone12 to 15.3 beta1 with AP3 to 4C165 , AP3 reset and reconnection still static noise.
I did the same exact thing, and nothing changed. Since I cannot return the AirPods back anymore, I think I’ll sell them, or send to a friend as a gift. I waited two years for this upgrade, I am very disappointed now…

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
iOS 15.3 beta 1 and the latest AirPods firmware fixed the hissing sound from my AirPods 3. Totally gone. Tested several times in a quiet room. ? I was about to go to the Apple Store today to exchange them but now there’s no need. Totally silent when in the ears and connected to any device with nothing playing.

And it did not do this by reducing audio quality in any way, correct? No volume loss, detail loss, etc.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.