Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrane

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
Is the hissing audible while actually listening to music? It's been a long time for me since I could hear low volume high frequency sounds like that. I would hate to give up the 3's because they sound really great to me.

Last edited:

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
New attempt for me at purchasing the AP3, and unfortunately this time the left one hisses. Since either during my first attempt or my second one only one out of the two buds hissed, I'm wondering whether or not I should try to go for nth number of exchanges instead of a refund + third attempt in a month or two.

The entire Airpods lineup has been an exercise in deep frustration for me in terms of QA/QC.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

deniza

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2022
My initial pair had this issue, coil whine in the right ear only when nothing is playing, and a softer whine in the left ear. I exchanged it today and the new pair has a buzz in the right ear whether or not anything is playing, while the left ear seems properly silent. I will try to exchange them again and hope for the best.

I never experienced this with any other AirPods models, I’ve tried them all and owned AirPods 2 for a long time.

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
I purchased a third one a few days ago. So far nothing to report, it seems that the pair I got doesn't exhibit the high frequency hissing issue.

Glory Baker

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2022
Open Control Center on your iOS or iPadOS device. While wearing your AirPods Max or both AirPods, touch and hold the volume slider until you see the additional controls. Tap the Noise Cancellation icon in the lower-left corner. Tap Noise Cancellation, Transparency, or Off.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Open Control Center on your iOS or iPadOS device. While wearing your AirPods Max or both AirPods, touch and hold the volume slider until you see the additional controls. Tap the Noise Cancellation icon in the lower-left corner. Tap Noise Cancellation, Transparency, or Off.
Is this a fix suggestion? The only thing that has had an effect for very few people is turning on background noise such as rain and setting it at zero volume.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Just to follow up.

There is still no hissing or coil whine in my AirPods 3. Absolutely none and I put that down to beta 1 of 15.3 - it was present before, not now. Believe me I’ve tried it in the most silent place you could possibly be in my ears with music off and there is no sitBelieve me I’ve tried it in the most silent place you could possibly be in my ears with music off and there is no sound.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
When I told them at the Apple Store that my right one was hissing they threw a new pair at me VERY fast without verifying anything. I'm guessing they get this A LOT.

psx0919y

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2021
Guys , good news , new firmware 4C170 fixed hissing noise (iOS 15.2.1) , finally .

Update : Normal situation is good (no hissing), but I still got hissing noise once in a while after message broadcast and end of call, 4C170 really did try to fix hissing noise , but I guess little bug exist .

Last edited:
Reactions: ivantheipodder

Vincent_8798

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
That’s a really good news indeed! If anyone else could confirm this too, that would be awesome.

I sold my AirPods 3 a week ago, because of this problem, but if it is gone, I will buy them again.

Majkelek96

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2022
I developed static sound and clicking in my AirPods 3 few days ago. The same day the update came out but like 1 h earlier

First the buds disconnected first left ear then right, just right after I put them in. I connected them back thru settings and since then
-anytime it’s silent and I even open an app which has no sound - I get a click in both Pods ( I can literally hold messenger app (with keyboard on, and keep putting it up _ to app switch and then back into Messenger, it literally clicks every time , or anytime I press play or do anything that will in half a second feed the sound into pods - I hear a slight click. Also if I silence the sound I hear hissing for a while - or until I don’t close the app. I’m sad. Idk what to do :a

maxrumor

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2022
i have used airpods 3 for a week, normal situation is fine but sometimes just before the media starts or when i fast forward i hear hiss in the right one for a few seconds.

Majkelek96

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2022
ok I did everything we can to try to fix this. Reinstall phone system, hard reset AirPods and today drained case and pods for the first time and charged. Still hissing after any sound, or white noise when muting and starting and song. It wasn’t like this before.
In my country we have t got a serious apple store. Just resellers. I guess I’ll have to make some more things up in order to have them “gladly replace” the pods

deniza

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2022
I am sad to say the third pair I tried also has static in the right ear whether or not anything else is playing (firmware 4C170, iOS 15.4 Beta 2 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max). Going to return these AirPods 3, get the AirPods Pro, and hope the Pros will fit better than I recall them fitting when I tried them a year ago.

ivantheipodder

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2018
Australia
I am sad to say the third pair I tried also has static in the right ear whether or not anything else is playing (firmware 4C170, iOS 15.4 Beta 2 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max). Going to return these AirPods 3, get the AirPods Pro, and hope the Pros will fit better than I recall them fitting when I tried them a year ago.
That’s unfortunate. My fifth pair finally is good, right out of the box on 4C165; then it updated itself to 4C170. I only hear a few seconds of very faint static in both ears (almost like underwater sounds) after pausing any media, only audible in a quiet room, then absolute silence (while still connected to a device).

This is by no means perfect but massively improved compared to my previous pairs which were like yours, static (more like a hiss/buzz) in the right ear as soon as you pause the media, or worse still it’s just there regardless.

I thought the latest firmware 4C170 fixed it but clearly that didn’t work in your case.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Guys , good news , new firmware 4C170 fixed hissing noise (iOS 15.2.1) , finally .

Update : Normal situation is good (no hissing), but I still got hissing noise once in a while after message broadcast and end of call, 4C170 really did try to fix hissing noise , but I guess little bug exist .

I occasionally get it just like this one.. I use mine mainly for work (tech support calls and whatnot) and once in awhile I'll get a little bit of static/hiss after a call disconnects but it only lasts for a couple seconds and goes right back to dead silent afterwards.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
So did the new firmware 4C170 fix the issue? So far only one person reported it pretty much fixed it (but not perfect).
I’m just discovering this thread but figured I’d mention my experience with AirPods 3. I’ve only heard the hissing sound once when I wasn’t listening to anything. This was shortly after receiving them. I thought my music app or tv was still connected so I just made sure I wasn’t playing anything and put them back in the case.

Updated the firmware a couple days after that and forgot about the issue. Haven’t had any trouble since other than the bulbous shape feeling insecure in my ears if I haven’t cleaned them really well (the AirPods) for awhile. I assume it’s oils from my skin on the plastic maybe.

Maurocroix

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2022
Hello everyone,
I also wanted to say my experience since in general the situation seems absurd to me, I would like to remind you that it is still a 190 euro pair of headphones. I bought them a few days ago, and I immediately noticed this really annoying hiss with the music off, as I often pause the music when I want to focus on something at work, for me the situation was really impossible. I also tried to update to the latest firmware version today, but the problem didn't go away in my case. I don't know if it's a software problem, I'm starting to have doubts. Also on other sites like reddit I was reading about people not noticing any changes with the latest version. I am truly speechless, I have used my first airpods for 3 years to very intense use without ever having a problem. I can't really understand how such a thing is possible, I have started the return of the product unfortunately

Majkelek96

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2022
So the reseller has replaced my AirPods 3 twice so now it’s third pair. I don’t know if there’s any hissing yet but so far the one problem that persists on all 3 of them - when anything is playing / or starting to play , then stops - there’s constant white noise under the sound.

My first AirPods had zero issues for 3 years, I don’t know how this crap can be so bad few years later :( I’ll eventually order AirPods Pro 2 if they look differently cause current ones hurt my ears, then do another exchange of AirPods 3 and sell them. It’s annoying to have something defective

Ps. Trying so hard not to update to latest AirPods version because it makes my pods do a clicking sound anytime they r in my ears and leave standby mode upon any sound source coming in. I’d like to skip that bad update but likely no new one is coming anytime soon

Still prefer the comfort of AirPods 3 over pro, I just can’t have something pushed into my ear. But if they behave so bad I don’t even wanna use them

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I've bought a pair 2 weeks ago and they are completely silent. Using them with my iPhone 12 mini and iPad Pro 9.7 (both in iOS 14) and a Big sur Hackintosh and they are silent as death in any device. Firmware is 4B61

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.