Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
i hope LAUT comes out with theirs soon. i have the IMPKT case for my gen 2 AirPods and its incredible. also hoping spigen comes out with their tough armour cases as well very soon.

Spigen cases are now on Amazon. The bad news: available late November, early December.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Holy **** that boy is thiccc, i have mine ready for pickup at my local post-office. (My Airpods are coming tomorrow)

I just pre-ordered from dbrand Airpods pro - skin. "Ships november".

Probably going to end up returning that thicc boy and just wait for my dbrand skin.

I looked around on their website but could not find the pre-order for the AirPods case. Perhaps they pulled the option?

d.b.c

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
I like it for the keychain factor so I don’t lose them.

Definitely this .Must have dropped my charging case out of my pocket and then lost it. An expensive mistake which has not been repeated since got a cheap case with keychain that keeps it attached to my keys.

Looked at the ESR and was tempted (mainly because it was the only one) but looks like they jumped the gun in terms of dimensions as early reviews on Amazon say it's not a great fit so glad I've managed to hold off and wait until they're produced after someone's actually got hold of the case.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I am using the ESR case until NOMAD releases a leather case. As mentioned, the ESR case isn't great in terms of fit and quality.

roguester

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2019
Can someone explain to me why a case for the case is needed? I carry my case in either my backpack or a zippered pocket.

Reactions: Steve121178

Footaxion

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Phila, Pa
Thanks for this post/review. Just stopped me from buying this. And I was close to doing so. But had concerns about the extra loop of material. I don’t want or need the loop. But to know the material is flimsy helped me not deal with any of it.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Has anyone used the Catalyst cases? I am intrigued by their design and wonder if they work well with the gen1/2 AirPods? I know they plan to release ones for the APP in Jan/Feb.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
The ESR Silicone case seems poorly designed and has an unusually large number of negative amazon reviews. I am avoiding. Will keep the case in a sunglass bag or similar until a good alternative is available. Having lost my first generation AirPods due to the ease of slipping out of a pocket, I like a thin silicone case for the added grip, and have been using one with the AirPods 2 I replaced them with. Much more secure and avoids wear and tear on the case. The case for my Sony WfXM3’s has a soft touch coating which solves this sort of thing. The fact that it is positively enormous compared to the APP case also helps in that regard.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The ESR case has a really loose fitting lid cover. It will come off every time you open the AirPods Pro case. I’ve ordered a generic carrying case from Amazon with dimension slightly larger than the AirPods case than I can clip on my keys or bag and not worry about getting them banged up. Definitely will be trying the dbrand skins for personalization.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I’ll be waiting for CarbonThat to come out to match my 11 pro case, if not nomad. It’s too slippery now.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I bought the ESR case at the same time I preordered the Pro’s. As others have said the lid portion is poorly designed due to the hinge providing too much tension. It forces the lid to move around or pop off when you open it. I had to do some surgery and remove the hinge and now it works fine.

70C65B00-6430-4AC1-8BC6-D04C2D882AF5.jpeg

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Good idea, I just did the same. It's temporary and will be going back within 30 day Amazon return period. This is a good example of a company destroying it's reputation producing a product off of leaks and not confirming specs to make a quick buck. In the long run, ESR will suffer from this.

Reactions: edlex

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I ordered the ESR translucent case in black. It is supposed to come today. In the product description it said it had a “hingeless design”. Hopefully that version will work like your modified case.

“HINGELESS DESIGN – A hingeless, two-part design allows your case to open completely, providing quick and easy access to your AirPods and the pairing button.”

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
I ordered the ESR translucent case in black. It is supposed to come today. In the product description it said it had a “hingeless design”. Hopefully that version will work like your modified case.

“HINGELESS DESIGN – A hingeless, two-part design allows your case to open completely, providing quick and easy access to your AirPods and the pairing button.”

Another bunch of extremely negative reviews for that item, and it looks like it has been pulled from Amazon- shows as currently unavailable.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Another bunch of extremely negative reviews for that item, and it looks like it has been pulled from Amazon- shows as currently unavailable.

They pulled the ESR one that I bought too. Hopefully next week more cases will be out that actually fit now that they have the Pro’s in hand.

krisgreen65

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Can't believe they've not released any others yet. I really hope we'll get a similar case to this One that I bought for my original Airpods.

AirPods Case Protective, FRTMA Silicone Skin Case with Sport Strap for Apple AirPods (Ivory White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071HJ28J5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_qJvqyinPdNVFs

Really well made, good quality and has left my original Airpods like new...

Be great to see any other cases which are released over the next few days...

I might buy that cheap one on Amazon and return it when a decent one is released!

KG

d.b.c

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
While I wait for people to start releasing cases that actually fit I’ve discovered that my old AirPod case works nicely as a temporary stop-gap by turning the charger on it’s side and then it fits very snuggly into the old one.

Filed under better than nothing/surprisingly effective in short term....

Attachments

• F533F441-3516-4FAA-B421-9E6216ED26E8.jpeg
    F533F441-3516-4FAA-B421-9E6216ED26E8.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 246

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
While I wait for people to start releasing cases that actually fit I’ve discovered that my old AirPod case works nicely as a temporary stop-gap by turning the charger on it’s side and then it fits very snuggly into the old one.

Filed under better than nothing/surprisingly effective in short term....
Same here re: using an old one. I have one that had a little upper compartment separated by a band of elastic to keep pods covers in (bc I couldn’t wear the old ones without them). I snipped the band out to make it all one compartment, and the size is perfect— just sideways. But at least I have a way to attach a tile to them.
When I find the case again that is. I literally didn’t make it 24 hours. I put the AirPods in downstairs, went upstairs, and for the life of me I cannot find the crease.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazooka-joe

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I bought the ESR case at the same time I preordered the Pro’s. As others have said the lid portion is poorly designed due to the hinge providing too much tension. It forces the lid to move around or pop off when you open it. I had to do some surgery and remove the hinge and now it works fine.

View attachment 874427
I did the same. It will hold me over until NOMAD releases a case.
[automerge]1572735993[/automerge]
Any news if Nomad is releasing a leather case for the APP?
hHfvhB4.png

Reactions: Boardiesboi

krisgreen65

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Can't believe they've not released any others yet. I really hope we'll get a similar case to this One that I bought for my original Airpods.

AirPods Case Protective, FRTMA Silicone Skin Case with Sport Strap for Apple AirPods (Ivory White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071HJ28J5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_qJvqyinPdNVFs

Really well made, good quality and has left my original Airpods like new...

Be great to see any other cases which are released over the next few days...

I might buy that cheap one on Amazon and return it when a decent one is released!

KG

I've just had an e-mail from the makers of the case and they've said that their Pro version will be out next week. Hurrah!

Reactions: edlex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.