Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I do think that there are a lot of cases without a hinge due to the wireless charging strip... The one from the same manufacturers as my original Airpods case (which had a hinge) just released theirs without a hinge :/

that isn't a wireless charging strip, its just the hinge. that said the gap the hinge forms is so incredibly tiny that nothing, not even thin silicone over the hinge will fit in the gap and it seems the best way to deal with it is to just not cover the hinge at all.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Isn't AppleCare+ only $30? I thought people spending half that already to protect the case might as well just buy AppleCare+ it will cover the whole thing.

Reactions: lupend88

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I have that case in black and have had no issues with the top coming off yet. You are correct, it's thin and two pieces. I actually quite like it because it adds zero bulk. View attachment 875221 View attachment 875222 View attachment 875223

Thank you for posting the photos. Just to make sure you ordered this one correct? I have been looking for a slim case that does not have a problem with the lid.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Thank you for posting the photos. Just to make sure you ordered this one correct? I have been looking for a slim case that does not have a problem with the lid.

I ordered from their site but your link looks like the same one I have. I ended up paying shipping (which I wouldn't have if I went through Amazon)

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
The case can scratch quite easily so a case protects it. No different to a case for a phone really
I ordered from their site but your link looks like the same one I have. I ended up paying shipping (which I wouldn't have if I went through Amazon)

Thank you. I might have to give this a try.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
I have that case in black and have had no issues with the top coming off yet. You are correct, it's thin and two pieces. I actually quite like it because it adds zero bulk. View attachment 875221 View attachment 875222 View attachment 875223

Thank you. I might have to give this a try.

So I just got this, it is A LOT thinner than I expected. I wouldn't say drop protection, more like just for fingerprint/scratches. BUT the top part is also very flimsy. It is barely hanging on if you ask me. Yes it is better than the hinge design, but it is very barebones, with the flick of opening the lid a few times it starts to come off. Just don't want people to waste money.

Reactions: Ntombi

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I ordered the ESR with the wavy pattern on the outside when the AirPods Pro first came out. It was terrible. The top would pop off even while just sitting on my nightstand doing nothing at all. It was only $10, but I was so aggravated, I did bother returning it to get my money back. Amazon did a no label/no box return for me through the UPS Store, so it was just a matter of driving them over there. Super easy.

It looked like ESR pulled everything off of Amazon for a few days to get the fit right and re-release these covers. I threw caution to the wind and ordered one of the slim fit models. Some of the reviews tricking in seem to indicate that they fit better than the original batch, but are just super thin and attract lots of lint.

It's kind of aggravating, honestly. The good brands aren't even close to shipping anything yet, and even some of no name brands aren't sending anything out until the end of the month. I actually don't use these for keeping the AirPods case aesthetically perfect--I like having a silicon cover on there because it makes the AirPods easier to pick up and significantly reduces the chances of them slipping out of my hand. Without some kind of cover on them, it's like trying to pick up a bar of soap.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
So I just got this, it is A LOT thinner than I expected. I wouldn't say drop protection, more like just for fingerprint/scratches. BUT the top part is also very flimsy. It is barely hanging on if you ask me. Yes it is better than the hinge design, but it is very barebones, with the flick of opening the lid a few times it starts to come off. Just don't want people to waste money.

just received and installed the same and I totally agree- flimsy junk and the top part simply doesn’t fit properly.

Avoid.

Attachments

• 718D3CE4-A7C8-446F-A732-B6CDA9826873.jpeg
    718D3CE4-A7C8-446F-A732-B6CDA9826873.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 66D144D1-7DAA-4312-93E1-78F2D5DFE55D.jpeg
    66D144D1-7DAA-4312-93E1-78F2D5DFE55D.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 808

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys for comments. I was actually thinking about getting a case from Spigen, but they don't seem to offer something super thin. I will have to wait and see the reviews on Amazon. Right now, most cases get 2 reviews at most.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Got the two piece ESR case and for me, the fit is good. It’s not perfect but good enough for my needs...

Attachments

• F8EDC3DF-67FF-412F-B915-500D6EB91227.jpeg
    F8EDC3DF-67FF-412F-B915-500D6EB91227.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 27108AC7-C7C2-4BCA-93BD-6FF3C9520E52.jpeg
    27108AC7-C7C2-4BCA-93BD-6FF3C9520E52.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 55D38141-A654-4793-AE78-5B6752AF2E8A.jpeg
    55D38141-A654-4793-AE78-5B6752AF2E8A.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 248

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks guys for comments. I was actually thinking about getting a case from Spigen, but they don't seem to offer something super thin. I will have to wait and see the reviews on Amazon. Right now, most cases get 2 reviews at most.
It seems like most of the ones you can order right now are all pretty much the same thing. I’ve seen 2 varieties: the one ESR is selling and the kind with the little pictures of the AirPods on the front. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all getting cranked out of the same factory in China somewhere.
[automerge]1573167967[/automerge]
Got the two piece ESR case and for me, the fit is good. It’s not perfect but good enough for my needs...
Looks like it’s at least good enough for now, which is encouraging. My stone gray one arrives tomorrow. I’ll try to remember to post pics.

Reactions: beeboy100

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
It seems like most of the ones you can order right now are all pretty much the same thing. I’ve seen 2 varieties: the one ESR is selling and the kind with the little pictures of the AirPods on the front. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all getting cranked out of the same factory in China somewhere.
[automerge]1573167967[/automerge]

Looks like it’s at least good enough for now, which is encouraging. My stone gray one arrives tomorrow. I’ll try to remember to post pics.
That's exactly it...good enough but not a good purchase. I am trying to find a nice clear case. Any leads?

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012

Very poor quality this case - loose fit and not cut well as one side was higher fitting than the other side (top part of case) bottom part OK but returned for this - rushed out by manufacturer ?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Got the black. Feel the same way. Good enough for now. When the really good cases come out in a few months, I'll pick up one of those then.

Edit to add: for those thinking of jumping on this case as a hold-you-over, be mindful of pricing. I paid USD7.99, and now it's USD9.99. It'll probably go back down.

Last edited:

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
ESR customer service is great. I sent them a message thru Amazon and they admitted to some manufacturing issues and refunded my cost without having to return the case.

While I’m waiting for the new one, I’m just keeping the AirPods in a small felt pouch that came with a 6000mah external battery I purchased a while back.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
That's exactly it...good enough but not a good purchase. I am trying to find a nice clear case. Any leads?
I’ve been looking every single day on Amazon and elsewhere and there still isn’t much shipping anytime soon other than this crap ESR is selling. I’ll probably grab a Spigen or Elago once they’re actually sending them out.
[automerge]1573180711[/automerge]
Got the black. Feel the same way. Good enough for now. When the really good cases come out in a few months, I'll pick up one of those then.

Edit to add: for those thinking of jumping on this case as a hold-you-over, be mindful of pricing. I paid USD7.99, and now it's USD9.99. It'll probably go back down.
Weird—I paid $8.99 for the stone gray color.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
ESR customer service is great. I sent them a message thru Amazon and they admitted to some manufacturing issues and refunded my cost without having to return the case.

While I’m waiting for the new one, I’m just keeping the AirPods in a small felt pouch that came with a 6000mah external battery I purchased a while back.
Edit, NVM Got it. Messaged them

Last edited:

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Random silicone case I got off eBay. Very average quality. Probably cost them 5c to make. Will have to do until nomad or incase release proper ones.
8C4DA7B4-27C5-4E92-8B62-4FCA469D9DE3.jpeg
A921FE30-6841-4587-AD77-30B8CEB1338B.jpeg

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Got a couple unbranded ones coming from eBay but I really prefer the hinged design of the elago case for my gen 1s. Too bad they're all going with the two piece and big gap at the back. Must all be the same manufacturer.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I received this from Amazon a few minutes ago:

I have to say that I'm not totally hating it. The first ESR case I got was the rippled one that was clear and then had the bumps on the inside to keep it from having the sticking marks. It added a ton of bulk and the top would not stay on the top of the AirPods Pro case, even if I didn't touch it or move it. With this one, I see some people saying it's too flimsy and thin, but I think that was intentional in order to not add bulk, and it is a much better fit and feel.

I like that they added some extra bumps at the corners to absorb shock, and I like that the top of this cover kind of suctions itself on. In fact, it's kind of hard to get it on straight without starting all over because it's so quick to stick itself on the top. It might take you a few tries. In any event, at least for the unit I got, I don't see the top coming off on accident, even when going in and out of a pocket.

I do like the plug for the charge port--I tend to charge via Qi, so the port becomes more of a liability for water damage than anything else. I also think that the color on the Amazon picture accurately matches the color I received.

For $8.99 this isn't bad, and I might actually just stick with it. I want to see how it does over the weekend. To hedge my bets, I do have a different one coming on Tuesday from a generic Chinese website--I paid $10 for it so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a spare even if I don't like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.