Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Another image of an alleged screen component designed for a HomePod with a display was today shared by Kosutami, a source that has in the past shown off HomePod components and abandoned Apple prototypes.

homepod-b720.jpg

The image shows a circular, glossy glass piece that would be located at the top of a HomePod that has the same design as the current standard size HomePod. The component would replace the current touch/waveform interface, and in the past, Kosutami has suggested that the LCD display is slightly curved.

There have been rumors about a HomePod with a display since 2021, and Apple actually seems to have several products in the works. The simplest is the HomePod that Kosutami and other leakers have referenced, which seems to be just a traditional speaker with a glass touchscreen. The display will show information from Apple Music like the song that's playing, and it will allow for SharePlay and other features.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has said that Apple is working on a HomePod speaker with an iPad-like display and a built-in camera, and also a HomePod with a screen mounted on a robotic arm. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in 2023 that Apple would release a HomePod with a 7-inch display at some point in 2024, though it doesn't look like that's happening at this point.

It's not really clear when we're going to see a refreshed HomePod at all, and it's possible that Apple is still just experimenting with a variety of designs. That said, the HomePod with a touch-responsive LCD display that uses the same design we have today does not seem farfetched, and it's plausible that such a product could come in the not too distant future.

Article Link: Alleged HomePod Display Component Again Shown Off in Photo

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
all of my HomePods are mounted up on the wall, so this particular design would be simply useless to me. i would much prefer they come out with a HomePod that just does a better job of handling my smart home requests. Really hoping that if / when Siri gets remade or rebranded with AI, that their current HomePod line up can process similarly with an update. It would be excellent to say things such as ’Siri, turn off the lights in the living room, lock the door, turn the fan on and play Ted Lasso on the apple tv.‘ or even just be able to simply connect multiple HomePods for a super immersive dolby atmos setup for movies. That would drive me to buy at least 4 more.

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I dont get why there would be so many leaks if it’s not going to come out soon. I think this is going to be an addition to the lineup and would go HomePod Mini -> HomePod -> HomePod Max (or pro). Why else would Apple release a second gen HomePod and then update it with a design and components that would likley increase the devices cost. Would be cool to see this at WWDC or with the September event with some sort of AI integration.

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
Costco was doing 35% off on Homepod's just yesterday - maybe clearing out inventory?
Maybe, but I feel like this would cost more than the current HomePod so im thinking that it might be a new addition to the lineup. Maybe keep the current HomePod and just add this as a option with the same specs but the only difference being the display OR a entirely new device with mini being low, homepod as a mid entry with, and this the highest spec.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Costco was doing 35% off on Homepod's just yesterday - maybe clearing out inventory?
they are just getting rid of it in stores and a lot of stores never carried it in the first place. costco still selling it at their usual list minus a small discount price online.

QandnotU

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I'm fine with an updated model, screen or not, as long as it can be stereo paired with the current 2nd gen HomePod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.