Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QandnotU

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
knowing Apple they wouldn’t let you do it 😂
If they keep the audio components and profile the same and just add a screen, there is greater possibility. Especially since the 2nd gen speaker is relatively new.

Promostyle

Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Portland, OR
So dumb…. They should line the bottom with a ring Action Buttons that turn the screen off and can’t be programmed to do anything else. Then come out with a $75 polished chrome stand that keeps the ring of buttons off of the surface of whatever it’s placed on. But the stand only swivels left and right so you still have to pick it up. Oh, and make it USB-C, but with a new specific wattage that none of our other USB-C plugs will work with. Oh, and a dongle that allows you to plug it into a 90w USB-C plug, but in a non-matching color like brown or something so it “pops”. Oh course you can’t plug this into any Mac, it is streaming only, and please make sure the audio isn’t synced to video on the screen.

b.la

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
It still blows my mind that Apple haven’t released a HomePod/soundbar thing with an Apple TV built in to it and HomePods with up-firing speakers.

Reactions: 211

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
It still blows my mind that Apple haven’t released a HomePod/soundbar thing with an Apple TV built in to it and HomePods with up-firing speakers.
I mean their solution to that is buy 2 homepods and use them paired, they probably dont want to cannibalize that

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I bought an original HomePod three-ish years ago, right before it was deprecated. So whenever that was.

I think I've used it a dozen or so times to play jazz for my dog while I was out for the day.

It is the second least used Apple device I own, next to my Series 6 Apple Watch, which has sat in a drawer for about two years.

Good times.

Reactions: GrayFlannel

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The whole smart home division at Apple is a dumpster fire.

The home app has uncountable UI bugs and issues. And the UX, hot garbage. One of the worst apps I have ever used from Apple
Still managing to do better than amazon and google’s equivalent divisions, not that that’s a high bar to clear

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Still managing to do better than amazon and google’s equivalent divisions, not that that’s a high bar to clear
Well I want to agree with you but the app store app ratings tell a different story.

But yeah, Xiaomi’s stuff are leagues better

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
This is one of the rumors that has made the least sense out of all of the ones I’ve seen here. I really do not get the use case.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
My HomePod sits on a bookshelf. Like zenwave and contacos wrote, I'd have to get up, cross the room and look at it. If it didn't go back to sleep by then. Don't see any utility here.

Reactions: RickDEGH

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
But you’d have to literally get up to look at it from the top. Dumb. Seems like just another thing getting more expensive to repair

Don't worry: a setting to flip the screen will be available in order to match the optional 45° overhead mirror ($ 99.99).

HomePod-Screen.jpg

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry Apple but as I've said before, a screen facing the ceiling is a dumb, classic form over function location for a display.
Will it look great in photo's ? Yes
Will it look great in an Apple announcement/Video? Yes
Will it look great In-Store when you go to buy one? Yes
Will it look great for "Most People" when they get it home, and start to use it normally day to day? NO

For a few people, who may have the device in the middle of a room, on a short table, then sure, it will be fine, but that's not most people.

Personally I feel, Apple should expand on the general concept of what Amazon do, and have a display which presents information THROUGH to cloth on the side of the device.

You could expand the display area, and add colour also.
Then you can have things like the time / weather / scrolling song lyrics, title, etc etc....
Far more practical for most people.

A higher spec version of this type of display thru cloth on the side, where most people will actually see it.
NOT a fancy screen pointing up at the ceiling.

8b2421ea22e84301abddc1643aa5d9b3.png

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Wow, just imagine it working for once without any issues! And while you are in your wet dreams, also imagine it having an aux input too :D

• Haha
Reactions: TVreporter

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
all of my HomePods are mounted up on the wall, so this particular design would be simply useless to me. i would much prefer they come out with a HomePod that just does a better job of handling my smart home requests. Really hoping that if / when Siri gets remade or rebranded with AI, that their current HomePod line up can process similarly with an update. It would be excellent to say things such as ’Siri, turn off the lights in the living room, lock the door, turn the fan on and play Ted Lasso on the apple tv.‘ or even just be able to simply connect multiple HomePods for a super immersive dolby atmos setup for movies. That would drive me to buy at least 4 more.
This. Keep HomePods with a purely voice assistant / command interface and stop with the half-assing by turning this into yet another iOS style UX. I have enough Apple devices with a screen all throughout my home, including a dozen iPads and Apple TVs the HomePod could in theory connect to for visual cues…

Adding a display pretty much guarantees they‘ll half-ass the voice commands portion of the HomePod in the future because „it‘s easier to just click that pause button“.

Reactions: MonkeySpank158
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.