Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
It would make sense if it was some sort of projector so you can create light-patterns on the ceiling according to the music.

Other than that: waste of resources.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Display just doesn't make sense for multiple reasons - one, it is on the top. So you likely have to be standing next to a shelf or TV stand to see it. Second - it will make one side of the cylindrical design the "front" - unless they over-engineer it and somehow detect where the viewer is standing.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Maybe it is just me but never considered getting HomePod in the first place. I don’t see how it will change my lifestyle in better way. I rarely have time to listen to music thru speaker and usually just listen on my Mac or iPhone (yes, pls don’t kill me. My iPhone has good enough speakers to listen to some music).

The second problem is that I don’t use Siri. It is kinda cringy to me to speak with machine, I am not used to this and usually just do everything myself.

And now, HomePod with screen? I just don’t get how it is going to be useful.

What I would dream about is Apple making affordable TV with a screen. Their professional displays are well out of my affordability range and I don’t need all those 5k or 8k displays. Kinda tired of relying on other TV brand and my trusty Apple TV 4th gen (non 4k) and would dream to have it all as a single box

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Round and curved, don't think it would be an LCD display. More likely OLED. Didn't find any references in the original Twitter poster saying LCD either, not sure where the constant references to "LCD" from MacRumors are coming from.

If it's just being used as a generic and redundant term to refer to a display, it's time to move on guys. A Fanta is not a Coke either.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Display just doesn't make sense for multiple reasons - one, it is on the top. So you likely have to be standing next to a shelf or TV stand to see it. Second - it will make one side of the cylindrical design the "front" - unless they over-engineer it and somehow detect where the viewer is standing.
I can see it just as a basic thing for playback buttons and basic music navigation, maybe some Siri answers as well. Definitely not as useful as a front facing "tablet" kind of device. Apple not being very ambitious here.

As the front of the device, that's probably the side opposite of where the power cable is coming from, which is usually facing the wall.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Not a good place for a screen….. most of my homepods I can’t see the top without a ladder

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
Maybe it is just me but never considered getting HomePod in the first place. I don’t see how it will change my lifestyle in better way.

I was looking for a simple home assistant device and immediately dismissed the HomePod over their ridiculous price and Siri’s hideous performance.

Who in their right mind would buy several HomePods at those prices?

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
all of my HomePods are mounted up on the wall, so this particular design would be simply useless to me. i would much prefer they come out with a HomePod that just does a better job of handling my smart home requests. Really hoping that if / when Siri gets remade or rebranded with AI, that their current HomePod line up can process similarly with an update. It would be excellent to say things such as ’Siri, turn off the lights in the living room, lock the door, turn the fan on and play Ted Lasso on the apple tv.‘ or even just be able to simply connect multiple HomePods for a super immersive dolby atmos setup for movies. That would drive me to buy at least 4 more.
With my Philips Hue system, I can actually ask Siri to adjust the lights to any scene, turn on/off, etc. Almost every day in my house "hey Siri, turn on all lights" or "hey Siri turn on living room" is uttered. Should try it out. Pretty cool. Can also lock/unlock doors for anything compatible with the home app. Can open/close my garage doors with Siri also.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The above comments remind me of the "Who asked for a thousand songs in their pocket?" comments here in response to Jobs' announcement of iPod years ago.

That was when he introduced iPod by saying (paraphrased) "iPod - A thousand songs in your pocket."

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Personally, I love the idea of a HomePod with a screen, because the HomePod acts as the smart home hub and there are plenty of scenarios when you don't want to have to use voice (loud environment, middle of the night, when you want to check a setting, etc).

Will buy one the moment it comes out.

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
With my Philips Hue system, I can actually ask Siri to adjust the lights to any scene, turn on/off, etc. Almost every day in my house "hey Siri, turn on all lights" or "hey Siri turn on living room" is uttered. Should try it out. Pretty cool. Can also lock/unlock doors for anything compatible with the home app. Can open/close my garage doors with Siri also.

yes, I am aware of how to do this, and have multiple scenes set up, door lock, etc. what I was referring to was a more complex command in the sense of hitting multiple devices in one command. I sometimes have luck with “turn off the lights in the bedroom and living room”, but I would like the ability to make multiple commands / summon, but right now its ’siri, turn off the kitchen lights - Siri, turn on the fan - Siri, turn on the Apple TV (minus the ability to control what I do on the tv with siri) - Siri lock the door’. is it the end of the world? No. But the HomePod / Siri could be far more intuitive than it currently is.

Reactions: TVreporter

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I'm intrigued by this, if only just to hear Apple's explanation as to how and why it exists and why it is useful.
I was looking for a simple home assistant device and immediately dismissed the HomePod over their ridiculous price and Siri’s hideous performance.

Who in their right mind would buy several HomePods at those prices?
A pair of HomePod mini's make for a very reasonably priced, and nice sounding airplay speaker set up for a small room. They're not going to blow the minds of audiophiles, but they're better than just a phone speaker, and cheaper than most stereo HIFI systems.

zenwave

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
But you’d have to literally get up to look at it from the top. Dumb. Seems like just another thing getting more expensive to repair
I concur, I agree, and I am on the same page with you.

(I hope those are enough words to satisfy a weaselboy mod who sent me this):

This is a reminder from the MacRumors moderator team to avoid making posts that consist only of a single word, a slang abbreviation, an emoticon, a trite or overused phrase or meme, or are in other ways frivolous. Your post may have been removed for this reason. Please make posts that contribute to a thread rather than clutter it. Examples of frivolous posts: +1. Word. LOL :eek: Feels snappier. Cool story, bro. A post that only contains only an image.

For further information and instructions, see the Reminders section of the Moderation FAQ. Do not reply to (or report) a moderation message like this one.

If you have concerns or questions about this notice, submit them using the Contact form. If you send messages to individual administrators or moderators instead, they will direct you to the Contact form.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
A pair of HomePod mini's make for a very reasonably priced, and nice sounding airplay speaker set up for a small room. They're not going to blow the minds of audiophiles, but they're better than just a phone speaker, and cheaper than most stereo HIFI systems.

In my case I was merely looking for a personal assistant with sound being the least important. So buying dozens of HomePods made no sense. I might have considered the HomePod mini if available then. But my experience with Siri was not a selling point either.

Reactions: Antoniosmalakia

pradeepbabloo

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2016
It makes no sense to put a display on any HomePod in current form. Its simply not useful. I cant even think of a use case. The display is literally on top and you the viewing angle is almost always perpendicular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.