Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Just thought of a great idea for Apple to save customers money!

They use that always on display on the iPhone 14 to display ads and in return they give customers a 5-10% discount on their phones.

Sort of like what Amazon does with their Kindles.

With that super accurate gps, the phone could throw up McDonalds ad right as you are about to pass one. Imagine you are pulling into a Burger King and suddenly it displays a $5 off McDonalds coupon which is just next door.

Does that sound like a brilliant idea or what?

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I don’t think Apple would sully their premium brand with ads in the main OS screens like Amazon and Samsung do
I avoid ads like the plague. Ads are unsafe, distracting, and if I buy something, there better not be ads on it. The Kindles I got in the past, I paid for the ad-free versions. One reason why I went from Android (back in the days of the Note 3) to Apple was because of forced adware.

I would be pretty unhappy if Apple started forcing ads.

Now ads in an app like Maps? I'm less sensitive about. I won't like it but it won't upset me.

My phone and its Home Screen - hands off! :p.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I can understand maybe some customers want to save money on their iPhone purchase. But having to opt out and babysit settings to avoid ads would annoy the heck out of way too many of us. I’m dealing with that on my Samsung.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Just what I need. More advertising. No thanks. The entire internet is nothing but advertising without ad blockers. I hate advertising. I put up with it on my sub $200 Kindle Fire (though you can opt out for something like $15) but no way I’d ever shell out what these companies ask for phones of it was going to be ad supported. I keep hearing the theory of “unobtrusive ads” but all ads are too obtrusive for me.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

They use that always on display on the iPhone 14 to display ads and in return they give customers a 5-10% discount on their phones.

With that super accurate gps, the phone could throw up McDonalds ad right as you are about to pass one. Imagine you are pulling into a Burger King and suddenly it displays a $5 off McDonalds coupon which is just next door.

Are you in advertising…or sales/marketing?

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

I wouldn’t use any phone that did that.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
**** No. I've had Kindle Fire tablets with ads and it fine when the device is under £200 like the Fire tablets are but dealing with ads to save £100 on a £1000+ phone is a horrible idea. Maybe would consider it if you were getting the phone for half price.

Reactions: 5105973

dogstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Are you in advertising…or sales/marketing?
No but i was thinking Apple is going to have to replace that google search engine gold mine soon apparently and honestly i never thought netflix would resort to ads and end bingeing but the second a poor quarter comes in all corporate morality and integrity seems to go out the door!

• Haha
Reactions: PirateP

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Um, wasn't it reported just a couple days ago (here?) that ads were coming to some Apple aps like Maps and Books? Next year?

Reactions: 5105973

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I think the whole Apple ad thing is being misunderstood…

It will likely be on maps when you are searching for certain places, a bit like when you search on Google for a place and it gives you more information than just an address etc. Basically an advanced version of what is in place now.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
If apple does that I’ll leave the thousands of dollars in software and services I’ve paid for and find a company that won’t show me ads all day. Keep your trackers, ads, and bogware off my stuff. I pay for a vpn that filters that out and read the independent audit reports.

Keep your ****ing ads off my phone.

white_horse

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Maryland
F! No. No ads on my phone. In apps are one thing but there are apps I have dumped for having too many ads, being too intrusive with ads, etc. start putting ads on my phone and I’ll no longer be a customer.

Reactions: F308gt4 and em245

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Amazon used to do this to smartphones, there was a $50 savings if you accepted the smartphone with ads on the lock screen. I remember I bought one before, it was a midrange LG phone and I honestly didn't mind the lock screen ads much. But I rooted and got rid of it anyways. 😂

Reactions: max2

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I don’t see Apple being brash enough to do something like that even for their low end devices. The fallout would be massive and break their brand.

Reactions: usmaak

dogstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I was also thinking since Apple has that new “bright as sun” display feature for outdoors, they could automatically set the ads to run at 2000nits to really get people’s attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.