Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I was also thinking since Apple has that new “bright as sun” display feature for outdoors, they could automatically set the ads to run at 2000nits to really get people’s attention.

Imagine AOD super dim, then ***BAM*** 2000nits of "Target holiday sales" while you're driving at night. 🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: dogstar and 5105973

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I don’t see Apple being brash enough to do something like that even for their low end devices. The fallout would be massive and break their brand.
It would break their brand, but fortunately I can't see Apple ever being that stupid. All it would take would be for Samsung or one of the other OEMs to put a phone out with no ads - as much as I can't stand Android, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat and I'm sure a lot of others would too. I've dumped apps for their ads being too intrusive, I'd do the same for a phone infested with adware.

Reactions: em245

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I highly doubt most would leave. Apple has got most it's users in an ecosystem vice grip. Everybody would talk the talk, but if Apple were to do it, y'all would make excuses. "Oooh an Ad Island, Ad's aren't that bad anymore".

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Such a thing could be a notification from an app. This app could send an offer, but the user would have control over this like they do with any notification.

Good idea, but I think your thought was they could do something like what Amazon does with their Kindle — serving ads in exchange for a reduced hardware cost — I don’t see that EVER happening.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No but i was thinking Apple is going to have to replace that google search engine gold mine soon apparently and honestly i never thought netflix would resort to ads and end bingeing but the second a poor quarter comes in all corporate morality and integrity seems to go out the door!
Well…💩. You know… I would not put anything past any publicly traded corporation.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
It would break their brand, but fortunately I can't see Apple ever being that stupid. All it would take would be for Samsung or one of the other OEMs to put a phone out with no ads - as much as I can't stand Android, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat and I'm sure a lot of others would too. I've dumped apps for their ads being too intrusive, I'd do the same for a phone infested with adware.
I have never seen any android phone, Samsung or otherwise, that has ads. Sure they have ads in 3rd party apps, but they’re not the only ones. There are no ads popping up in AOD or anywhere else. If Samsung phones had ads, I would have thrown my phone in a trash can (after carefully wiping it, of course) and moved to iPhone immediately.

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
Just thought of a great idea for Apple to save customers money!

They use that always on display on the iPhone 14 to display ads and in return they give customers a 5-10% discount on their phones.

Sort of like what Amazon does with their Kindles.

With that super accurate gps, the phone could throw up McDonalds ad right as you are about to pass one. Imagine you are pulling into a Burger King and suddenly it displays a $5 off McDonalds coupon which is just next door.

Does that sound like a brilliant idea or what?
isn't the whole point of buying "premium" apple products to avoid this?
it certainly is for me

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
I have never seen any android phone, Samsung or otherwise, that has ads. Sure they have ads in 3rd party apps, but they’re not the only ones. There are no ads popping up in AOD or anywhere else. If Samsung phones had ads, I would have thrown my phone in a trash can (after carefully wiping it, of course) and moved to iPhone immediately.
samsung has ads for their products built into anything, my friend's s22 ultra got an ad for him to buy a z fold 4 as a notification after launch

Reactions: 5105973

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
samsung has ads for their products built into anything, my friend's s22 ultra got an ad for him to buy a z fold 4 as a notification after launch
Interesting. I have had Samsung phones for 10 years and I have never seen an ad outside of an app. I’ve seen plenty of ads in apple apps as well.

dogstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Sorry guys, I’m not trying to give you guys nightmares… I really don’t believe apple would ever do this, but it seems lately our assumptions about basic things are usually proven wrong.. If this happens I will be right along with you guys switching to Android!

Reactions: 5105973

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I don't use any free apps that have ads. If an app is worth having to me, I pay for it. I block ads everywhere I can on the web. I pay a premium for Apple devices due to them being the most privacy friendly. And I'm with you, I'd leave as well if they ever went down that road.

For now I don't see them going down the ad road as they have too much capital behind not doing so.. But time brings change, and one can't always accurately forecast what change may come.

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
Interesting. I have had Samsung phones for 10 years and I have never seen an ad outside of an app. I’ve seen plenty of ads in apple apps as well.
ive only seen ads in apple services like podcasts, App Store, etc
never seen them in the actual OS itself

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
They've been putting video ads into Sydney train stations... it's become the bane of my existence. At least with a still ad, you can ignore it. Now you need to turn the other way and blast music, and risk missing the train when it arrives.

Ads are horrible. I don't buy things if I see ads for them. (Unless an Apple keynote counts as an 'ad')

Vegas33139

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2014
Muffsville, Jannerbama
Even now with the advent of the iP14 (which really doesn't excite me)I'm teetering whether to go to Android with the up and coming Pixel 7 pro. If I even get a whiff of ads coming to iPhone or other Apple products - I'm off.

Off, I tell ya.

God Save The King

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
There are just too many ads EVERYWHERE now.
5a9f2062d0042d67674abdea5e831df4.jpg

Really that would be a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: Shh

Applɘ Aꙅylum

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2022
Just thought of a great idea for Apple to save customers money!

They use that always on display on the iPhone 14 to display ads and in return they give customers a 5-10% discount on their phones.

Sort of like what Amazon does with their Kindles.

With that super accurate gps, the phone could throw up McDonalds ad right as you are about to pass one. Imagine you are pulling into a Burger King and suddenly it displays a $5 off McDonalds coupon which is just next door.

Does that sound like a brilliant idea or what?
Won’t you mind the transparent ads popping up on your windshield as you pass several fast food restaurants and other places while driving?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I will never see it as I will not use the AOD feature. I find using an Apple Watch a great advantage in not having to remove the phone from my pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.