Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: em245 and 5105973

em245

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
New England
I highly doubt most would leave. Apple has got most it's users in an ecosystem vice grip. Everybody would talk the talk, but if Apple were to do it, y'all would make excuses. "Oooh an Ad Island, Ad's aren't that bad anymore".
I agree with you that most would “oooh” at an ads island. SMH But I won’t be one of them.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Just thought of a great idea for Apple to save customers money!

They use that always on display on the iPhone 14 to display ads and in return they give customers a 5-10% discount on their phones.

Sort of like what Amazon does with their Kindles.

With that super accurate gps, the phone could throw up McDonalds ad right as you are about to pass one. Imagine you are pulling into a Burger King and suddenly it displays a $5 off McDonalds coupon which is just next door.

Does that sound like a brilliant idea or what?
I'm going with "...or what?"

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
LOL, why would Apple fill it with advertising and give you a discount.

I think they would charge you a premium for allowing you to buy an iPhone loaded with a single company's advertising, and simply call it the Nike iPhone.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Anyone that would buy an iPhone with adds to save a marginal amount of money should probably look deeper at their finances and decision making process. If you can't afford it.....maybe wait until next year or buy a refurbished one.

Plus you will look like a peasant and not a boss when your friends see that ad screen! 😄

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Plus you will look like a peasant and not a boss when your friends see that ad screen! 😄
If you think owning an iphone makes you look like a boss you need to take a long look at yourself. The reality is the average person couldn't give a flip what phone someone else has.

Reactions: usmaak

carriebeary

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020
Just thought of a great idea for Apple to save customers money!

They use that always on display on the iPhone 14 to display ads and in return they give customers a 5-10% discount on their phones.

Sort of like what Amazon does with their Kindles.

With that super accurate gps, the phone could throw up McDonalds ad right as you are about to pass one. Imagine you are pulling into a Burger King and suddenly it displays a $5 off McDonalds coupon which is just next door.

Does that sound like a brilliant idea or what?
only if they allow us to shut it off. I would hate it

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
MR reported a few weeks ago that Apple is looking to increase it's ad revenue. People need to understand that when it comes to advertising and profits, nothing is off the table. I have no doubt that some in Apple's sales and marketing department has already suggested the idea of ad's on 'always on' devices. Anyone who's been involved in 'brainstorming' will understand what it is all about. Over the years I've been involved in a number of them and nothing is considered off the table regardless of initally how silly/stupid the idea might be. Then each idea/suggestion is looked at in more detail so only realistic ideas/suggestions are left. I therefore have no doubt there would have been numerous brainstorming sessions on how Apple can increase it's ad revenue and in one of those sessions the idea/suggestion of ad's on 'always on' devices would have been put forward.

If a MR member is able to think of it then someone in Apple's sales and marketing department is surely bound to think of it as well.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
No thank you! I rather pay full price for my phone...Yuck! could you imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.