Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I’ve been using these (Space Gray) exclusively for the past 12 days or so, switching from my H95s for wireless music and home theater (and AirPods Pro for portability/convenience/calls).

I figure there are dozens of videos out there, and I’ve seen some similar “opinionated” popular threads over in /r/audiophile and /r/headphones - in an effort to spare you the overhead shots, pretentious “audiophile” tone, b-roll, and clickbait-y thumbnails, I’ll just let you ask any questions you want - I’ll give the objective truth, and if it’s something I haven’t tested yet, I will... and then reply back to you. If it’s my opinion you want, I’ll give that too (but it’ll be based on objective observations).

These are hard to find (do NOT pay scalpers), and I know that most Apple Stores may not have them on display - or even be open to the general public aside from appointments. I don’t care if you buy them or not, or if you’re a “fan” of Apple products (or a seasoned contrarian); if you’re considering them, or just interested, I’ll help any way I can.

Equipment used and compared:

Sony WH-1000XM4 (own)
Apple AirPods Pro (own)
Bose NC 700 (own)
Bose QC35ii (wife’s)
Beats Studio Wireless 3 (wife’s)
B&O Beoplay H95 (own)

...and for fun

Sony MDR-Z1R (co-worker’s)
Audeze LCD-X (Closed-back) (own)
Sennheiser HD 820 (own)

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
Thanks - I have a pair on order but not due till end of this month. I currently use B&W P7 and PWs (although I more favor the P7s - more comfortable)....I'm not an audiophile like you but appreciate great sound quality. I can't wait to read your opinion :)

Also like you I use my AirPod Pros for calls....when I want to listen to music I switch to my B&Ws

Cheers,
Bobbie

Reactions: Enygmatic

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
heh i actually have the original wired P7s and its weird there are certain songs that are a little harsh for the APM that i didnt notice with the APP.

I also own PBP and my home speakers are B&W 683s for comparison. My TLDR is that these are APP overears with punchier bass. I have not played with the accessibility settings as recommended on head fi just yet though.

Reactions: Moyapilot

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Thanks - I have a pair on order but not due till end of this month. I currently use B&W P7 and PWs (although I more favor the P7s - more comfortable)....I'm not an audiophile like you but appreciate great sound quality. I can't wait to read your opinion :)

Also like you I use my AirPod Pros for calls....when I want to listen to music I switch to my B&Ws

Cheers,
Bobbie
I wanted this to be more of an “AMA” for people who may actually have questions, and might be on the fence about buying them. No “I hate that I like them” or crying about the price, or “they’re perfect” - just actual usage, findings, comparisons, and general info that might not be available in press clips or sponsored videos.

As for my short opinion - they’re great headphones. Comfort is a bit of a mixed bag for me; features are great (and potentially even better with software updates), have had a few software hiccups. Sound-wise, they punch above their weight (price) class, but - like iPhones vs. DSLRs or MF cameras - software can only do so much if you’re trying to put them against wired, high-end cans. Which no one should be doing anyway...

If you’re into the ecosystem, they’re awesome. “Worth it” is too subjective. They’re not overpriced, however, imo.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
heh i actually have the original wired P7s and its weird there are certain songs that are a little harsh for the APM that i didnt notice with the APP.

I also own PBP and my home speakers are B&W 683s for comparison. My TLDR is that these are APP overears with punchier bass. I have not played with the accessibility settings as recommended on head fi just yet though.
Lot of acronyms there... lol Are PBP PowerBeats Pro?

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
So about 15 years ago I had the Bose Triport headphones - wired of course and to this day some of the best sounding headphones. The new version they came out with about 10 years ago didn't come close to the original. I also had the Bose QC25s but the noise cancelation gave me a headache and I preferred my Triports. I then ventured into Wireless cans about 5 years ago maybe and got a pair B&W P5. They sounded awesome after burn in but I found them to be a little uncomfortable for hours worth of music listening. I moved up to the wireless P7s and loved them. I just purchased the B&W PW this fall when I gave up on Apple releasing their new headphone and wanted to love them but to be honest they just don't sound as good as my P7s. Even with 50+ hours of burn in (I literally had them rotating through white/pink/brown noise while I was sleeping) they don't sound as good and not as comfortable. Since I'm all into the Apple Ecosystem I'm hoping these will be a suitable upgrade from my wireless P7s. :)

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
So about 15 years ago I had the Bose Triport headphones - wired of course and to this day some of the best sounding headphones. The new version they came out with about 10 years ago didn't come close to the original. I also had the Bose QC25s but the noise cancelation gave me a headache and I preferred my Triports. I then ventured into Wireless cans about 5 years ago maybe and got a pair B&W P5. They sounded awesome after burn in but I found them to be a little uncomfortable for hours worth of music listening. I moved up to the wireless P7s and loved them. I just purchased the B&W PW this fall when I gave up on Apple releasing their new headphone and wanted to love them but to be honest they just don't sound as good as my P7s. Even with 50+ hours of burn in (I literally had them rotating through white/pink/brown noise while I was sleeping) they don't sound as good and not as comfortable. Since I'm all into the Apple Ecosystem I'm hoping these will be a suitable upgrade from my wireless P7s. :)
So you have the P7? The wireless ones, right? Or the PX7? I think you’ll find an expanded sound stage with the AirPods Max. The volume doesn’t get as loud, which I’m thinking is a choice Apple made to all but eliminate any distortion at higher volumes. I haven’t worn B&W in awhile - they usually hurt my big water head (lol) after about an hour; there’s a pressure point at my temples.

I also bought the 3.5mm cable, which adds functionality in situations where bluetooth isn’t available - but it does not turn these into “wired headphones” in the sense some may think, but it does minimize (if any is discernible) lag - this is the way to go if you’re using these to mix or edit audio/video.

And obviously the ANC and Transparency mode will blow you away, if those P7s are the primary headphones you’re coming from.

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
So you have the P7? The wireless ones, right? Or the PX7? I think you’ll find an expanded sound stage with the AirPods Max. The volume doesn’t get as loud, which I’m thinking is a choice Apple made to all but eliminate any distortion at higher volumes. I haven’t worn B&W in awhile - they usually hurt my big water head (lol) after about an hour; there’s a pressure point at my temples.

I also bought the 3.5mm cable, which adds functionality in situations where bluetooth isn’t available - but it does not turn these into “wired headphones” in the sense some may think, but it does minimize (if any is discernible) lag - this is the way to go if you’re using these to mix or edit audio/video.

And obviously the ANC and Transparency mode will blow you away, if those P7s are the primary headphones you’re coming from.
I have the wireless P7s.... and a pair of the new PXs (blue and gold).....

Last edited:

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
My apologies the PX7....and yeah the PXs are newer and have a lot of the features that APM have but they didn't sound near as good as the PX7 so I'm curious to see how they will stack up against my PX7s
I’m... still confused as to which headphones you have. BUT - I can say that, from what I’ve tested in that $250-350 range, the APMs have a wider frequency range that I’m actually hearing, and more separation. Personal preference will play into this, as well as use case (music vs. movies, for example). Bass is very tight and crisp, booming but not overpowering. Again, could be good or bad, depending on what you’re doing or what your preference is. I think I may prefer the SkullCandy Krushers (ANC) and Sony M4 a bit for action movies with lots of explosions, just for that extra bit of immersive rumble.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
With all due respect these have been out for a while now and I think people's questiosn on them are all but answered. It all comes down to if they want to pay the price Apple is asking.

Reactions: Deliro and Ghost31

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Your thoughts vs h95?
Extremely similar sound stage... the H95 get a bit louder, which I think Apple did intentionally. Neither have an issue with distortion, and both benefit from the quality of the source. Certain songs sound better on each - each has 40mm drivers, titanium for B&O. I prefer B&O signal processing a bit to Apple’s, but I’m keeping in mind that this is Apple’s first “serious” foray here. The H95 seems to do a bit better with low frequency separation, but this may also be a result of them getting a bit louder as well. This is me tuning my ear to really hear the differences. Still, comparing both as they are today, I’d give the slight edge to B&O for overall sound with music - particularly live instrumentals. These are $800 headphones, with far less effective ANC and (no) transparency mode to speak of, remember. I definitely prefer the H95 case and folding design - more practical. Battery life has been a bit better on the B&O as well, but that’s almost certainly due to me “playing” more with the new APM. Build quality is stellar on both; APM are heavier. I prefer the “look” of the H95, but the APM are more comfortable for me - cup diameter is larger; weight is managed better, causing less/no pressure point on my head. YMMV

Any specific comparisons, let me know.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
With all due respect these have been out for a while now and I think people's questiosn on them are all but answered. It all comes down to if they want to pay the price Apple is asking.
With all due respect, that’s fine. No need to partake, then. For some, they may want to, and like I said, they’re hard to get - and hard to even just go try them out.

Last edited:

ajem

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2020
Extremely similar sound stage... the H95 get a bit louder, which I think Apple did intentionally. Neither have an issue with distortion, and both benefit from the quality of the source. Certain songs sound better on each - each has 40mm drivers, titanium for B&O. I prefer B&O signal processing a bit to Apple’s, but I’m keeping in mind that this is Apple’s first “serious” foray here. The H95 seems to do a bit better with low frequency separation, but this may also be a result of them getting a bit louder as well. This is me tuning my ear to really hear the differences. Still, comparing both as they are today, I’d give the slight edge to B&O for overall sound with music - particularly live instrumentals. These are $800 headphones, with far less effective ANC and (no) transparency mode to speak of, remember. I definitely prefer the H95 case and folding design - more practical. Battery life has been a bit better on the B&O as well, but that’s almost certainly due to me “playing” more with the new APM. Build quality is stellar on both; APM are heavier. I prefer the “look” of the H95, but the APM are more comfortable for me - cup diameter is larger; weight is managed better, causing less/no pressure point on my head. YMMV

Any specific comparisons, let me know.
Why do you keep both? What’s your use case? I don’t mind paying the price for keeping both but find it annoying to have to store them as they take up space

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Why do you keep both? What’s your use case? I don’t mind paying the price for keeping both but find it annoying to have to store them as they take up space
I have lots of headphones... like, an amount to where, if you saw them, you wouldn’t think I was a well-functioning professional. lol (I hate the term “audiophile” because it’s become associated with jerks) They were my favorite wireless headphones for awhile - they didn’t suddenly get worse just because something new came out, you know? And (superficially) I’m really not THAT fond of the Airpods Max aesthetic. Probably shouldn’t matter, but it does to me.

I keep them in my listening room, with my high-end gear, amps, etc.

Reactions: batristain

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Your thoughts vs h95?

The H95's are superior in every way. They are built better, far more comfortable, have more premium materials, and sound better. They also come with a superior set of controls (including an off button!). They are lighter as well and don't crush your head with their clamping force. The only edge I'd give to the APM is the transparency mode, and that's just slightly as the H95 transparency mode is stellar as is the ANC. They also come with a killer case and are foldable. Yes they are expensive, but after using both the APM and the H95s there really isn't a comparison here unless someone is just being an overly excited Apple fan. And don't get me wrong, the APM are great. But the H95's are in a different league, as they should be for what they cost.

Reactions: Smithwicks

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
The H95's are superior in every way. They are built better, far more comfortable, have more premium materials, and sound better. They also come with a superior set of controls (including an off button!). They are lighter as well and don't crush your head with their clamping force. The only edge I'd give to the APM is the transparency mode, and that's just slightly as the H95 transparency mode is stellar as is the ANC. They also come with a killer case and are foldable. Yes they are expensive, but after using both the APM and the H95s there really isn't a comparison here unless someone is just being an overly excited Apple fan. And don't get me wrong, the APM are great. But the H95's are in a different league, as they should be for what they cost.
Built better? Debatable
Lighter? Objectively true
Far more comfortable? Subjective
Controls? Subjective - I actually prefer the Digital Crown and simple 2-button setup; “off” would be a welcome addition (I’m hoping this could be added via software)
Sound better? I’d agree, but not “in another league”
ANC/Transparency? Both better on APM, and they’re not particularly close

Case and fold-ability? Huge plus for H95, as mentioned.

This is why I wanted a thread without all of the hyperbole (either direction) or name-calling. As an owner of both (and most of the ones listed in my original post), I can give objective comparisons between these - and opinion when asked/applicable.

NewMagsafe

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
What are your top 10 favourite music tracks?
Interested to hear what you enjoy listening too with all of that gear.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
What are your top 10 favourite music tracks?
Interested to hear what you enjoy listening too with all of that gear.
Sheesh... impossible to answer. Depends on a few things, but if I’m in my listening room (sound proof) it’s probably lean toward a lot of 60’s/70’s jazz... then some rock around that era (LZ). Even though that all predates me, I find it sonically intriguing. More modern, I enjoy actual live hip hop bands. And guitars... I’m on this Gary Clark Jr. and Marcus King run now.

I had several serious eye surgeries as a kid, to where I was pretty much operating by sound and touch for a good period. Love for music, beats, instruments, etc. took off then - kind of out of necessity. I love instrumentals though - it’s not a genre per se, but it’s my favorite.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Built better? Debatable
Lighter? Objectively true
Far more comfortable? Subjective
Controls? Subjective - I actually prefer the Digital Crown and simple 2-button setup; “off” would be a welcome addition (I’m hoping this could be added via software)
Sound better? I’d agree, but not “in another league”
ANC/Transparency? Both better on APM, and they’re not particularly close

Case and fold-ability? Huge plus for H95, as mentioned.

This is why I wanted a thread without all of the hyperbole (either direction) or name-calling. As an owner of both (and most of the ones listed in my original post), I can give objective comparisons between these - and opinion when asked/applicable.

Yeah I'm sorry but built better isn't debatable. The H95's use leather and metal and not the cheap band or foam cups that the APM uses. They provide magnetic ear cups (like the APM) which means they can be replaced at any time. There really isns't a contest in which one has the better build quality in my opinion. They also provide the beautiful case and storage option for your cables which is a really nice touch.

Also, I don't know how you can possibly think that there is a debate on comfort between the two. The earcups on the H95 are an extremely soft leather vs the whatever cheap material Apple is using and they have a massive opening for the ears. They also have less clamping pressure which is also not something that is debatable as its been widely discussed that the APM have a really hard clamping force and the H95s don't create nearly as much clamp.

I do agree with you that the transparency is better on the APM, but not by a wide margin in my opinion. And I actually prefer the ANC on the H95 over the APM as they APM creates a ton of pressure which I don't like and eventually becomes uncomfortable for long periods of time (at least for me).

Also, I'm not tracking with you on the controls. You have physical dials on both sides that let you adjust volume as well as the level of transparency and ANC on the H95's. I'm not sure how you find the H95's dials more complex than the APM. You simply turn them to adjust accordingly and you can't accidentally hit them due to their location like on the APM. Not really a contest here for me on this one again.

What is subjective is looks. I personally find the H95's better looking than the APM but I also think the APM look good but just a little weird.

ajem

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2020
Yeah I'm sorry but built better isn't debatable. The H95's use leather and metal and not the cheap band or foam cups that the APM uses. They provide magnetic ear cups (like the APM) which means they can be replaced at any time. There really isns't a contest in which one has the better build quality in my opinion. They also provide the beautiful case and storage option for your cables which is a really nice touch.

Also, I don't know how you can possibly think that there is a debate on comfort between the two. The earcups on the H95 are an extremely soft leather vs the whatever cheap material Apple is using and they have a massive opening for the ears. They also have less clamping pressure which is also not something that is debatable as its been widely discussed that the APM have a really hard clamping force and the H95s don't create nearly as much clamp.

I do agree with you that the transparency is better on the APM, but not by a wide margin in my opinion. And I actually prefer the ANC on the H95 over the APM as they APM creates a ton of pressure which I don't like and eventually becomes uncomfortable for long periods of time (at least for me).

Also, I'm not tracking with you on the controls. You have physical dials on both sides that let you adjust volume as well as the level of transparency and ANC on the H95's. I'm not sure how you find the H95's dials more complex than the APM. You simply turn them to adjust accordingly and you can't accidentally hit them due to their location like on the APM. Not really a contest here for me on this one again.

What is subjective is looks. I personally find the H95's better looking than the APM but I also think the APM look good but just a little weird.
There’s no point arguing about what is subjective, the fact that OP disagrees with you on some of these points is the definition of “subjective”. Thanks for your take though

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various

All of that’s great, as long as you understand the difference between objective and subjective, fact and opinion. The only fact is that the H95 weigh less. Pretty much everything else is subjective - although the case situation is pretty much there.

The H95 are not more comfortable for me - the larger cup diameter feels better on my head. We’re two different people, so that’s fine. Saying “you can’t be right because imo it’s THIS” sounds odd... it’s subjective.
Objectively, the frequency range is nearly-identical, and the driver size is identical. The processing used by both are different - I prefer the B&O there slightly, and it depends on what I’m using them for (probably more for music than, say, movies or podcasts).

Surprisingly, there’s as much (at least) sound bleeding from the APM as there is with the others, including the M4. Bose seems to continually win here - again, for my head.

I didn’t say the controls were too complex - I use headphones with amps, knobs don’t scare me. lol I prefer the crown and button on the APM. Precision tuning, and no accidental pushes I’ve experienced.

There is something to be said for the integration within Apple’s ecosystem, as I’m comparing these as my primary “on the go” headphones. I AM less than thrilled with some of the software hiccups I’ve encountered, which become more of an issue the “smarter” you make a device or accessory.

Cans vs. Cans, I’d say I prefer the H95 for music slightly. APM is probably the more versatile of the two, as far as usage and potential with updates. To me, there’s a bigger jump from the M4 to the APM than from the APM to the H95, easily.

Reactions: JasonHB

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Read a few reviews, I’m done, waste of time honestly. Evaluate for oneself honestly.

Checkmate (no issues and all boxes checked). I have oodles of headphones, I don’t care if the APM aren’t the best of the ones I own. I am thoroughly enjoying listening to music with the APM. Nuff said. Back to current star of the show!!

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Various
The case is awful, but OP has a White Sox hat, so that's cool
Born and raised, went to school down the street from (old) Comiskey Park, and U of I alum.
And the case is... “useless” is probably the word I’d go with at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.