Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
I got to admit I’m curious to try a pair. But being stores are closed it will have to wait. I’m not one of these habitual buy online and return people. These people actually hurt costs long term.

My neighbor has returned no less than 8 products in the last couple of months. From a new MBP, all 3 case AW6 case materials, iPad Air 4 to a TV. Didn’t keep any or replace it. Just wanted to try it. Like lots of these bottom of YouTube “reviewers”.

I suspect the APMs probably have a lot of folks returning them.
I agree. I'm noticing a trend of youtubers who buy the headphones for clicks. They make an unboxing video, a sonic review video and a comparison video. Then conveniently within 14 days they discover a flaw (sound quality/condensation/rattling/battery drain/whatever) and make a "I'm returning these because of x" video.

I've unsubbed from a couple of reviewers who have done this. I cannot support this sort of self-serving behaviour.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Yea i asked an apple store employee when they first announced and she even told me the best way to try is buy and simply return if i didnt like. I mentioned about the returns and waste involved and she just shrugged admitting covid limits the old come in a try scenario.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Yea i asked an apple store employee when they first announced and she even told me the best way to try is buy and simply return if i didnt like. I mentioned about the returns and waste involved and she just shrugged admitting covid limits the old come in a try scenario.
Apple store employees. You’d be amazed on how much product knowledge they don’t have. But perhaps a company like Apple can eat the return and then refurb markdowns, since I’m sure the margin is quite high on their products. Hell it may even be factored in their retail costs.

wasn’t so long ago Apple stores had a pretty rigid restocking fee.

I read that Amazon and Best Buy use a 3rd party company for their return management. And like a credit score they track you. People have been slowly getting denied returns because of obvious abuse of policy. I’m sure only the most egregious cases are flagged.

If you truly don’t like a product yeah return it. I was just calling out the people that excessive try products without the intent to keep it.

workerbee

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Since I’m thinking about upgrading from my Beoplay H9i to an HX, an H95 or an APM: did Apple produce any of the sound quality updates that people were hoping for, or would the H95 still be regarded as (marginally) better for Classical music?

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Since I’m thinking about upgrading from my Beoplay H9i to an HX, an H95 or an APM: did Apple produce any of the sound quality updates that people were hoping for, or would the H95 still be regarded as (marginally) better for Classical music?
I do not notice any difference in the sound profile from when i got it. The H95 would still be the better sounding pair, while the AirPods being the more convenient pair. Ecosystem ease > smidge better sound for me.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I should give my APM another chance at music. The only change I *think* I've seen (and it could be my imagination) is that it seems like one of the early updates allowed volume to go slightly louder on the APM.

I reach for the H95 most times when I want to listen to music, but occasionally wish it had a bit more volume. I'll tell you what... the on/off switch seems like a simple thing, but the battery on the H95 just doesn't drain when not in use because of that simple thing. I am not a heavy listener so I rarely have to charge the H95-- battery life is fantastic on those. Max will drain whether you listen or not (and whether it's in its case or not).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

workerbee

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
I reach for the H95 most times when I want to listen to music, but occasionally wish it had a bit more volume. I'll tell you what... the on/off switch seems like a simple thing, but the battery on the H95 just doesn't drain when not in use because of that simple thing.
I do not notice any difference in the sound profile from when i got it. The H95 would still be the better sounding pair, while the AirPods being the more convenient pair. Ecosystem ease > smidge better sound for me.
Both of you are probably right, and this isn't helpful in the least ?.
Went to listen to the APM recently, and it went like expected: the sound is smooth and in fact very agreeable, ANC is excellent, but I felt there's a smallish «bump» (I think it's called in the headphone reviews) somewhere in the bass that makes me hear stuff I don't think is really there, or at least shouldn't be so prominent. Not disturbing or even disagreeable, but noticeable. The H9i did sound slightly bright and bassless in direct comparison.

Oh well, I'll probably stick to the H9i for the time being. Didn't have much Blueetooth 4.x trouble with them and on-off switch hasn't played up recently, battery life is quite okay-ish, at least when I don't forget to turn them off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.