Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Who wants to go to a library? Who has time?

Convenience for the win! And Amazon knows this.

You are definitely paying for convenience. I've never found the process of reserving a library book online and then picking it up on the way home (takes about 5 extra minutes) worth paying monthly for, but to each their own. :)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Newp. tried a couple years ago. They've outright refused to budge.

Government workers are .... <Fillin your own word>

Government workers are Barbarians.:eek:
1298033962798862.jpeg

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
With Netflix asking only 8 dollars per month for unlimited movies and TV shows, 10 dollars per month for books seems pretty high in my opinion.

Some of us would say that access to a lot of books is worth a lot more than movies and TV shows...

I won't be using this because I don't want to support Amazon (and it's probably limited to the US, anyway) but $9.99 is hardly ripping people off.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
books which may or may not actually be the same books*

I've literally never found a book my library didn't have either locally or through the metro area system (transfers are free).

But then I live in a metro area and this is one of the advantages. There's probably 6 libraries along my commute alone.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
My library wont let me :(

Apparently I still owe them money from when I was a teen and returned a book late, that with interest has gone over $100.

I must pay or i can't use the library. and since my entire region(county) is linked, I have no available access to a public library.

You could just pay the $100 and then I'm sure you'll get access to the library.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The best way to get a feel for the selection is to just go to Amazon's page and just search for some titles you have read or would like to read, and just popular books and authors in general.

I did just that and KU had barely any of the books that I have read or have on my wish list at my library's ebooks site. They are promoting Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter, but beyond that those 600k titles are pretty slim pickings when it comes to anything reasonably popular.

Obviously they intend to improve it a lot as time goes on but that depends on authors agreeing to a royalty plan that sounds pretty weak. Dare I say it (and compare apples and oranges), their selection is way worse than the selection on Netflix streaming. In contrast, my library has had an ebook version of the vast majority of books I've been interested in reading.

My textbooks often end up being ~100-200 MB.

True, though I was responding to a comment about using up data downloading library ebooks on vacation.

Last edited:

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Regarding libraries vs Amazon: how is this up for discussion? Why do people buy books? Why don't students check out textbooks from their university's library every 2 weeks and never pay for their own textbooks?

There are A LOT of students that do just this, it's called textbooks on reserve and a large number of students rely on this.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Why not use the library...for FREE? Why give money to Amazon?

There's no FREE library. Look at your property tax break-up and you'll see just how expensive the library actually is! So since most of us are already paying for it, you're right, we might as well make use of the service.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I've literally never found a book my library didn't have either locally or through the metro area system (transfers are free).

But then I live in a metro area and this is one of the advantages. There's probably 6 libraries along my commute alone.

This could really work for either side of the discussion since Amazon may have a really terrible selection for this particular service, depending on your needs.

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
There are A LOT of students that do just this, it's called textbooks on reserve and a large number of students rely on this.

I'm aware of that; several people I know during college did that. ;)

I'm also going to mark my original post as rhetorical since it isn't clear.

The best way to get a feel for the selection is to just go to Amazon's page and just search for some titles you have read or would like to read, and just popular books and authors in general.

I did just that and KU had barely any of the books that I have read or have on my wish list at my library's ebooks site. They are promoting Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter, but beyond that those 600k titles are pretty slim pickings when it comes to anything reasonably popular.

Obviously they intend to improve it a lot as time goes on but that depends on authors agreeing to a royalty plan that sounds pretty weak. Dare I say it (and compare apples and oranges), their selection is way worse than the selection on Netflix streaming. In contrast, my library has had an ebook version of the vast majority of books I've been interested in reading.

Amazon is taking a stab at drawing indie writers - their books may not necessarily see the light of day otherwise. For both them and the consumers this program would be a fantastic solution; writers can better expose their work, and consumers (that read a lot) will save a lot of money over buying these indie books individually.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Selection, I think. My library uses a third party to distribute ebook loans. I suspect most libraries use this same service or one like it. The list of books they offer is limited and they only have a fixed number of copies they can loan out at the same time.

That said if this is like the free loaner books that Amazon offers its Prime subscriber then Amazon's list is way to short. I checked and there are few if any titles I'd want. Certainly they have the classics (copyright expired) and some current fiction. I suspect that for $10 you only get a VERY limited set of books to choose from.

If they opened up their entire catalog, then they could justify the term "unlimited" But even then, b=many books don't come in ebook form, paper only.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Regarding libraries vs Amazon: how is this up for discussion? Why do people buy books? Why don't students check out textbooks from their university's library every 2 weeks and never pay for their own textbooks? My point is that each person has their own preference; plenty of others prefer to get their ebooks from sources other than the library for various reasons.

I did that last semester. There were only 12 students in the class and only one section. The library had two copies. So even in this best case only two of use got free books.

The BEST deals in books are Amazon's older edition text books. I needed some basic science reference books. I bought a half dozen one or two editions back texts on Biochemistry and Physics for as little as one cent (yes a penny) and none over $10.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I read everyday, but no

I read everyday but really not so keen on a subscription service. I allocate money every month for eBooks, sometimes I use them sometimes I roll them over to the next one to buy a bigger book. My worry is that I will end up reading more quantity but less quality.

Similarily, I cancelled Netflix. I sometimes subscribe to do some bing watching, but I realized that renting movies that I want to see, once a week, makes more sense, whether it's a $4.99 Vudu or a $1.70 Bluray from the Redbox 4 blocks from where I live.

omalansky

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
With Netflix asking only 8 dollars per month for unlimited movies and TV shows, 10 dollars per month for books seems pretty high in my opinion.

$10 is less than the cost of a single ebook in many cases. For avid readers, $10 a month is a real bargain. The problem is that Amazon will only offer a portion of their total inventory at this price. New releases and current best-sellers may not be included.

longterm

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007

Because it's a Kindle library; I have a Paperwhite--is there a way to get MP3s from a library onto a Kindle Paperwhite? I think there *may* be a way with the Fire, but...

Regardless, the Unlimited library is not unlimited; after a quick search of a few of my favorite authors, I saw that most (or all) of their works weren't in this library. I quickly canceled my 30-day trial.

----------

$10 is less than the cost of a single ebook in many cases. For avid readers, $10 a month is a real bargain. The problem is that Amazon will only offer a portion of their total inventory at this price. New releases and current best-sellers may not be included.

They're not. I just did a search and didn't turn up any of the books I was looking for. Not a single one.

For example, do a search for Stephen King; everything in his catalog is available for normal purchase, but not in the "Unlimited" library. Doesn't work for me.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
If only Apple would do something similar because I love reading.

Why?.. Would the Apple reader app be someone better than the kindle app on an iPad.. Or are you suggesting that the market needs a "done right" e reader and subscription service cos the ones already out there are pants.. I await your answer..

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
In general file sizes are tiny, out of all the books I've had almost all have been less then a meg each. One exception was one that was heavy on illustrations, and the other was the first five game of thrones books in one file, thousands of pages at 11.2 megs.

That's a pretty lame policy, ours allows five checked out plus five on hold.

I never said they were. And I don't know how many libraries haven't started offering ebooks, if someone has one that doesn't they can certainly do what they can to encourage them to consider it.

Sorry, I thought you were actually asking those questions, not being rhetorical.

Are there any stats on how many ebook titles the various libraries have? And that 600k number from Amazon ignores which books they are and what quality, if a large portion is self published stuff that nobody really wants to read it's kind of a useless number.

talking to a co-worked who just informed me that not all public libraries are free, he has to pay $120 a year for his public library card where he lives.

I actually never knew some towns charge for a library card.

longterm

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
Some of us would say that access to a lot of books is worth a lot more than movies and TV shows...

I won't be using this because I don't want to support Amazon (and it's probably limited to the US, anyway) but $9.99 is hardly ripping people off.

Curious as to why you don't want to support Amazon; I get great service from them, and with Amazon Prime I get most of my orders with 2-day shipping. Great deals to be had.

I love my Kindle too; I'm an avid reader and never thought I'd enjoy an e-reader like I do; I have a library full of books, but the Kindle's my go-to device for reading these days.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The average TV show is 20-45 minutes, the average movie is 2 hours, and an average book can easily be 24 hours of reading. Over the course of a month, you would generally get more "products" from movie subscriptions than you would from book subscriptions.

Also, buying a month of movies/TV shows (from, say, iTunes) would likely cost more than the $8 that Netflix charges. Buying a month's worth of books might not be much higher than $10.

Well said. This service is clearly geared toward heavier readers. According to various reports, a typical American reader reads about 12 books per year (median is paltry 5 books per year). And if you read roughly 1 book per month, this plan is clearly not for you.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The average TV show is 20-45 minutes, the average movie is 2 hours, and an average book can easily be 24 hours of reading. Over the course of a month, you would generally get more "products" from movie subscriptions than you would from book subscriptions.

Also, buying a month of movies/TV shows (from, say, iTunes) would likely cost more than the $8 that Netflix charges. Buying a month's worth of books might not be much higher than $10.

I bought 3 books last month, came out to be $118.72. Granted these are physical copies. The Kindle alternative would've probably saved me $30-40 bucks but I rather hold a book.

I'd gladly pay $10/mo for this service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.