Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Looks to me like the 4000 mobile series APUs still come up short? Will have to wait for more real world tests, but at the moment, Intel's offerings are still easily the ones to beat, and AMD don't look to have managed it this time around (though are perilously close and extremely price competitive).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Looks to me like the 4000 mobile series APUs still come up short? Will have to wait for more real world tests, but at the moment, Intel's offerings are still easily the ones to beat, and AMD don't look to have managed it this time around (though are perilously close and extremely price competitive).
The only areas where Intel can win in the U space are TB3, ISA, and 802.11ax .

Then it is up to how the OEMs configure their systems.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The only areas where Intel can win in the U space are TB3, ISA, and 802.11ax .

Then it is up to how the OEMs configure their systems.
If you go by AMDs potentially spurious claims, perhaps, I want to see the chips walk the walk out in the wild. A lot of what I'm reading suggests some particularly specific comparisons have been chosen to exaggerate how competitive the 4000 chips are with Intel's offerings. Not to forget Tiger Lake is also on the horizon from Intel, which will notch up the performance even that little bit more over Ice lake.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you go by AMDs potentially spurious claims, perhaps, I want to see the chips walk the walk out in the wild. A lot of what I'm reading suggests some particularly specific comparisons have been chosen to exaggerate how competitive the 4000 chips are with Intel's offerings. Not to forget Tiger Lake is also on the horizon from Intel, which will notch up the performance even that little bit more over Ice lake.
Ryzen 4000 has up to twice the cores as Ice Lake, so 90% more integer and FP scalar, AVX, and AVX2 performance is not unbelievable.

They would only match the full vector performance because Zen 2 is 256-bit while Ice Lake is 512-bit.

Last edited:

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I would wait for official benchmarks. However, I have a feeling the AMD 4000 mobile series will be like the Ryzen 2000 desktop chips when they were first released. Good but not great. We'll probably have to wait next year for 5000 mobile series until they really start competing against Intel. Much like how the 3000 desktop series chips started eating Intel's lunch.

Though I do hope these 4000 mobile chips compete well against Intel's chips. And maybe Apple starts using them in their macbooks. Would be great to be build an AMD Hackintosh that's as easy to maintain as the Intel builds.

Good times for the mobile space. Finally some competition. Not just from AMD but ARM as well.

Reactions: Falhófnir

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I would wait for official benchmarks. However, I have a feeling the AMD 4000 mobile series will be like the Ryzen 2000 desktop chips when they were first released. Good but not great.
The U would be better. The H could be about the same.

Also take into account that VS19 auto vectorizes to AVX2 but not to AVX-512, so the 4000U look even more compelling.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I feel thunderbolt 4 not being 80Gbs is a big let down. Would have made eGPU and external PCIe more powerful. Especially with AMD supporting PCIe 4.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think they need to bring on the DDR5. Soldered RAM laptops are too expensive and in any case one ends up outgrowing the technology.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It seems aliexpress took down the 3500X listings.

Cannot confirm as they require login to search.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What about Renoir blades for cloud-based Stoney Ridge gaming?

Just max out the LPDDR4x ECC.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Some Stoney Ridge laptops are better configured in some ways than similar but faster and cheaper Zen+ laptops.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.