Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
4900Hs simply destroys intel i9, with almost half of the TDP, and in thin and light chassis. It's not even a competition at this date.

I also hope that Lenovo will offer Thinkpads with AMD. I don't plan on purchasing anything from Intel at the moment. This time, AMD is going for the mobile market.

Reactions: PeterJP

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
4900Hs simply destroys intel i9, with almost half of the TDP, and in thin and light chassis. It's not even a competition at this date.

I also hope that Lenovo will offer Thinkpads with AMD. I don't plan on purchasing anything from Intel at the moment. This time, AMD is going for the mobile market.
Yea if X1 extreme Gen 3 or 4 then I may get it

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

Do you have any official benchmark?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Plenty of youtube videos with benchmarks are out, I've only checked out a few of those.
I found LTT test rather interesting:

Reactions: throAU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just swapped my 2700x for a 3950x on my desktop X470 board. WOW, the 3950x is aggressive out the box, maintaining 4.7ghz. I undervolted it at 1.1875 volts and all cores at 4150 for normal usage, and just toggle it back to default auto when doing something heavy like editing.

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Intel has no chance for matching this efficiency

7jqmtpobwsr41.jpg

Reactions: ssgbryan and throAU

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Sadly it looks like these new Lenovo AMD Thinkpads don’t come with Thunderbolt 3. I hope that’s not a bad sign for other devices. I don’t think I want to use a laptop without it anymore.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
it looks like these new Lenovo AMD Thinkpads don’t come with Thunderbolt 3
That seems to be a trend with AMD based laptops, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ryzen 7 offerings from MSI and ASUS also don't use thunderbolt

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I hope that more expensive models (no idea if there will be any of course) will feature TB3. A X1E Ryzen Edition for example ?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
More expensive models probably will use TB3. But I think earliest we are gonna see those is at the end of the year, or even next year.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yes, and its my guess is that AMD will only start moving towards USB3 and not USB4.
AMD already support USB 3, unless you mean Thunderbolt 3? It sounds like Intel's plan is for broad convergence of TB and USB, with AMD systems using USB 4 and Intel systems having TB 4 built in.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Another thing, besides missing TB3, is the lack of PCIe 4.0 in Ryzen 4000 mobile.

Though as AMD has claimed, there might not be many scenarios where you need PCIe 4.0 in a laptop enclosure.

Hopefully later this year, or maybe next year we'll see AMD support USB4 and TB4. They might be skipping TB3 entirely and move on to the next gen.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Another thing, besides missing TB3, is the lack of PCIe 4.0 in Ryzen 4000 mobile.

Though as AMD has claimed, there might not be many scenarios where you need PCIe 4.0 in a laptop enclosure.

Hopefully later this year, or maybe next year we'll see AMD support USB4 and TB4. They might be skipping TB3 entirely and move on to the next gen.
Skipping to the next gen makes little sense as there's not much difference between TB3 and TB4, more that Intel doesn't want a USB 4 and Thunderbolt 3 naming situation. To all intents and purposes, USB 4 should open up most key TB 3 functionality to all computers, particularly AMD and Arm based ones, while Intel will ship their chips with built in support for Thunderbolt 4 (effectively 3) as their own solution. This will hopefully end the insanity of a myriad competing standards with varying degrees of compatibility using the same connector and finally usher in the simpler times the type C connector was meant to bring.

Reactions: KarmaRocket

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Skipping to the next gen makes little sense as there's not much difference between TB3 and TB4, more that Intel doesn't want a USB 4 and Thunderbolt 3 naming situation. To all intents and purposes, USB 4 should open up most key TB 3 functionality to all computers, particularly AMD and Arm based ones, while Intel will ship their chips with built in support for Thunderbolt 4 (effectively 3) as their own solution. This will hopefully end the insanity of a myriad competing standards with varying degrees of compatibility using the same connector and finally usher in the simpler times the type C connector was meant to bring.

You're right, not much difference between the two, but having USB 3 and TB3 while Intel uses USB4 and TB4 will only make not so informed consumers think Intel has better future connections. The licensing issue was the main reason AMD didn't include TB3, but that should be cleared now as Intel opened it up. There might be some ongoing issues with that, which is why I thing AMD is just going with USB4 and TB4. Clean slate, same connectors.

It's a shame TB4 didn't double in speed to 80Gbps. Would really make eGPU's far more interesting.

Reactions: Falhófnir

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It's a shame TB4 didn't double in speed to 80Gbps. Would really make eGPU's far more interesting.

I find eGPU's to be a really bad experience. I'm using one at the moment, Razer Core X + 5700 XT, combined with my wife X1C (until my laptop arrives). I've borrowed eGPU setup from company I work for.

I've tried it under all 3 OS. Under Mac OS, it works the best. But still really lacking. Sometimes my apps will crash when I switch them to internal monitor via keyboard shortcuts. Under Windows it's ok I guess. But flanky and also while switching from external to internal monitor, I get constant lag.

Under Linux experience is really bad. You really need to mess with config files and terminal to get the thing working. And 3rd party solutions. When you get everything sorted out, it works like a charm. I can get even internal monitor working via eGPU. Great then? Not so much. You have to boot with eGPU connected, and if your cable gets at least some loose connection, Ubuntu/PopOS will freeze.

Under all 3 operating systems I got best results with 0.5m TB3 cable. When using even 1M TB3 active cable, my performance would drop.
So eGPU is right near your laptop, and if you are pushing it, it will get noisy. I guess if I owned the Razer Core X, I would put a better power supply in, and swap out default fans for noctua fans.

But for me personally, that's a lot of mess to deal with. If you need a decent GPU in your laptop, just purchase a laptop with a decent GPU.
eGPU is promising, and I guess in a few years everyone will sort all these problems out. But now that I've experienced eGPU setup, I really have no desire to go out and purchase one for myself.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Intel don't have PCIe 4 in mobile either. Or at all.

As a new TB3 machine owner. Apple aren't even supporting TB3 very well themselves. there's no first party ethernet adapter!

Reactions: ssgbryan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.