Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The H seems to only have a higher base clock than the HS (3.3GHz vs 3.0). Turbo is almost the same. I doubt you'll notice anything in real life. I would pick the HS and enjoy the longer battery life, which will be noticeable.

There's an overview of the processors and the laptops who use it at https://www.ultrabookreview.com/35985-amd-ryzen-4900h-4900hs-laptops/ There is a 15" and 17" ASUS TUF Gaming that use the 4900H.
ah, thanks. A German magazine I read (C't) said, that the 4900HS is exclusively used by Asus for a while. Would be a shame if true :/

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
ah, thanks. A German magazine I read (C't) said, that the 4900HS is exclusively used by Asus for a while. Would be a shame if true :/
Yes, it seems like Asus has 6 months exclusivity on the HS parts.I wouldn't mind itso much if the Zephyrus 14 had had a webcam... I was also worried about the soldered-in 8gb but it seems that with a stick of 32gb at the right speed, the system will do dual channel fine.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Yes, it seems like Asus has 6 months exclusivity on the HS parts.I wouldn't mind itso much if the Zephyrus 14 had had a webcam... I was also worried about the soldered-in 8gb but it seems that with a stick of 32gb at the right speed, the system will do dual channel fine.
I don't want a gaming laptop, I don't need a 2060, funny LEDs, gaming looks and all that. I also want a proper service that either repairs the device next day in my office, or at least offers something like XMG with their high priority repairs.
One reason to leave Apple behind is the friggin' service. I had to run to the store so many times now, I don't want to do that anymore :)

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
I don't want a gaming laptop, I don't need a 2060, funny LEDs, gaming looks and all that. I also want a proper service that either repairs the device next day in my office, or at least offers something like XMG with their high priority repairs.
One reason to leave Apple behind is the friggin' service. I had to run to the store so many times now, I don't want to do that anymore :)

Wait for HP Omen 15; Base model will comes with 4600H & can be configured up to 4800H, Supposedly no DGPU.

*A small mistake; it will offer 1660 ti.
[automerge]1587050485[/automerge]
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H ties with Intel Core i9 10980HK and destroys Intel Core i7 10750H and Intel Core i5 10300H.

bq9pk90vfzs41.jpg

This is from a review of Lenovo Legion 7; It comes with 10980K & 2080 super max Q.

Also if you have noticed 4500u ! 15 watt,6C/6T) is beating i5 10300H (45 watt, 4C/8T)

Last edited:

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
thanks for the links @Ulfric

My dream would be a Ryzen 9 with it's integrated Vega GPU. Should be fast enough for anything but gaming.

VEGA 7 in 4900HS is really great performing, as powerful as MX350. almost creeping into 1650 performance territory. You can say AMD made Nvidia's entre entry line ups obsolete. 4800U will have same IGPU. It's possible we could really see some incredible performance in ultrabook segment.

AMD really did some great job with 3rd gen mobile VEGA.

I am waiting for rx5700M/rx5600M launch. It would be great if I can find an all AMD configuration in Mobile. A 4900H with 5700M wouldn't be that bad.

Reactions: c0ppo

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I'll wait a little longer. Only thing I know for sure: I don't want to get a 9th gen Intel laptop ;)

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
I'll wait a little longer. Only thing I know for sure: I don't want to get a 9th gen Intel laptop ;)

Apple will not put any AMD cpu inside his 16'' mbp

if Apple 'd do this
will give to amd too much power
mbp 16'2020
will be a 11th cpu intel

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
How do you know Apple won't put in AMD CPU's in their machines? If anything, Apple should be tired of the increased delays in Intel's promised shipment schedules. Also the lack of performance from previous generations. AMD deserves the attention they are getting lately.

AMD doesn't have much clout in the mobile laptop space. They are eating Intel's lunch on the Desktop and Server segments. And deservedly so. I think we'll see AMD processors in Mac's as early as late 2020 or 2021. Zen 3 mobile will absolutely destroy Intel next year. Intel really needs to up their game. And Apple would be very foolish to stick only with Intel for x86 chips

Last edited:

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
How do you know Apple won't put in AMD CPU's in their machines? If anything, Apple should be tired of the increased delays in Intel's promised shipment schedules. Also the lack of performance from previous generations. AMD deserves the attention they are getting lately.

AMD doesn't have much clout in the mobile laptop space. They are eating Intel's lunch on the Desktop and Server segments. And deservedly so. I think we'll see AMD processors in Mac's as early as late 2020 or 2021. Zen 3 mobile will absolutely destroy Intel next year. Intel really needs to up their game. And Apple would very foolish to stick only with Intel for x86 chips
hi
but you did not read what i wrote
mbp 16'' 2020 will not amd

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
hi
but you did not read what i wrote
mbp 16'' 2020 will not amd
How would you know? What you‘re saying doesn‘t make any sense to me (no offense), but maybe you are in possession of any information we don‘t have?

hi,
there is a sector of science called logic
and first of all there are strategies
and then the tactics
everything else comes later

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
I don't think you read what I wrote either :)

game theory
which is then applied in all sectors in peace and in war
economics is a war
if apple leaves Intel
but first he had abandoned Nvidia
it would only deal with amd
all this would be a suicide by Apple
would become blackmail
that's why Apple won't use AMD for now

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
From the ARM Macbook rumors that have been coming out, Apple will eventually leave Intel. Apple is all about profits. If Intel can't deliver better CPU's but charges more or the same as AMD, they will probably use AMD. While possibly still offering Intel chips in some models.

The real question is if Apple will want to make two different models of the MBP (or any Mac). One with Intel and another with AMD. You will need two different motherboards. Apple has always been about simplifying their lineups. So if this was the argument against using AMD, that would make more sense. Eventually Apple would have to respond if other PC manufacturers were using AMD and seeing profits and marketshare increase.

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
From the ARM Macbook rumors that have been coming out, Apple will eventually leave Intel. Apple is all about profits. If Intel can't deliver better CPU's but charges more or the same as AMD, they will probably use AMD. While possibly still offering Intel chips in some models.

The real question is if Apple will want to make two different models of the MBP (or any Mac). One with Intel and another with AMD. You will need two different motherboards. Apple has always been about simplifying their lineups. So if this was the argument against using AMD, that would make more sense. Eventually Apple would have to respond if other PC manufacturers were using AMD and seeing profits and marketshare increase.
Arm is nothing if there is not program , arm is iPad more keyboard, this is new Apple arm computer,

but Amd will be at end of 2021

if intel cannot develop cpu like Amd

intel and Amd make business together since last year coz intel had a Radeon inside his cpu

I can bid 50 euro
Mbp 2020 16’. Will be intel 11 th or 10 th gen

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Wait for HP Omen 15; Base model will comes with 4600H & can be configured up to 4800H, Supposedly no DGPU.

*A small mistake; it will offer 1660 ti.
[automerge]1587050485[/automerge]
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H ties with Intel Core i9 10980HK and destroys Intel Core i7 10750H and Intel Core i5 10300H.

bq9pk90vfzs41.jpg

This is from a review of Lenovo Legion 7; It comes with 10980K & 2080 super max Q.

Also if you have noticed 4500u ! 15 watt,6C/6T) is beating i5 10300H (45 watt, 4C/8T)
Sounds like Tiger Lake needs to be something very special (in a way it's almost certainly not going to be) for Intel to catch back up here.

I've read around to try and understand what's gone wrong at Intel, the only clue I can find is that apparently yields from 10nm are still low. The conclusion I draw from that would be Intel are having to be a lot more lax with their binning to make any money off these chips, which will likely mean they have to restrain clock speeds a lot more for stable operation. That bodes ill for Tiger lake H - as your chart suggests they can't afford for it to be a step back in CPU performance from Comet Lake like Ice Lake was. The iGPU on H chips is much less important, so they won't be able to market on that basis in that segment. If next year's contracts are being signed about now, as long as they can meet demand I would expect AMD to be the mainstream choice for the big gaming brands in 2021.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
4 Cores? I don‘t think so. What‘s more: too late
Yeah - unless Intel have changed their nomenclature again (which I guess is possible?) that's the wrong type of chip. H series parts are still currently named to end in 'H' (e.g. i7-10750H) G7 is a graphics designation for the sort of 9W CPUs used in the MacBook Air.

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Apple will use intel 11th 8 core
I always use Amd cpu since 2002
but Amd make in this month a millions of mistake
gpu is not out
cpu and motherboard not nice price
3950x should cost no more than 530 euro

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.