Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
While I think PWAs are great, they are limited. They are websites. There will always be the need for native apps.

It will be very interesting to see what the PC landscape looks like in 10 years :)

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
If Apple manages to pull of ARM transition, then imho Microsoft can't wait with their transition. I know that there are ARM Windows for some time now, buy by transition I mean fully focusing on ARM instead of x86. Linux is there already, that would leave Windows behind competition, especially in server space where ARM is slowly growing.

Probably why Microsoft is now focusing Windows 10X for the desktop rather than just devices. All their developers are on Win10. They need to make sure all the developer tools and legacy stuff work on the new OS. Which I think is a smart move on their part. Getting the developers on board is the key for their success.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Apple needs to do the same? The dual OS strategy might hurt them in the long run. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a focus on iPadOS, with more desktop features or a new Hybrid OS in the next few years. Getting developers to make two apps for each platform will be difficult. Especially with a change from x86 to ARM.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Probably why Microsoft is now focusing Windows 10X for the desktop rather than just devices. All their developers are on Win10. They need to make sure all the developer tools and legacy stuff work on the new OS. Which I think is a smart move on their part. Getting the developers on board is the key for their success.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Apple needs to do the same? The dual OS strategy might hurt them in the long run. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a focus on iPadOS, with more desktop features or a new Hybrid OS in the next few years. Getting developers to make two apps for each platform will be difficult. Especially with a change from x86 to ARM.

If your MacOS App's source code is up to date. It will be as hard as open xcode, add a build target, compile, archive and release. Apple has has full macos running on ARM for years. I can't see it being any harder.

The biggest thing missing from Windows is the developers behind the Apple App store and the great cheap app apps it offers. MS has a store, but that's about it. Where are all the devs? On Macos.

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
The biggest thing missing from Windows is the developers behind the Apple App store and the great cheap app apps it offers. MS has a store, but that's about it. Where are all the devs? On Macos.

How many of them are heavy duty apps? Besides majority of Windows user prefer to use Web for downloading their software than using MS' app store. The transition to ARM is never about the quantity of Apps, but quality. Poeple wants their familiar tools they are used to, like Solidworks, Catia, Inventor, Adobe Suits, Matlab, their usual ERP, CRM software etc.

Can you tell me how many of them are available on iPadOS appstore? Majority of Apps that I have mentioned don't even exist on Mac or have some atrocious support.

Reactions: ssgbryan

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
How many of them are heavy duty apps? Besides majority of Windows user prefer to use Web for downloading their software than using MS' app store. The transition to ARM is never about the quantity of Apps, but quality. Poeple wants their familiar tools they are used to, like Solidworks, Catia, Inventor, Adobe Suits, Matlab, their usual ERP, CRM software etc.

Can you tell me how many of them are available on iPadOS appstore? Majority of Apps that I have mentioned don't even exist on Mac or have some atrocious support.

iPad OS is a different beast from macOS. You are mixing OS platforms, not target CPU's. Apple's approach for MacOS / iPad apps is hella different from a desktop. For serious app's you need a lot of RAM which an iPad will never have. An ARM based mac, running MacOS ARM - should be functionally identical to a MacOS Intel platform.

If the apps you mentioned are on MacOS intel, bringing them across to MacOS arm will be a recompile. Running them on an iPad? Never. Not enough ram. Considering Intel specific assembler is non-existent in mac apps. There is no reason that ARM laptop / desktop platforms won't push beyond 6GB of ram, up to 32GB+, providing more than enough resources for pro apps.

Getting devs across to 64-bit code for MacOS forced the modernization of legacy codebases used by developers. IMO, this was a major step in preparation for the transition of the platform to a 64-bit ARM environment.

One more thing. ARM supports PCIe and there is no reason it wouldn't be used for GPU's etc.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
If your MacOS App's source code is up to date. It will be as hard as open xcode, add a build target, compile, archive and release. Apple has has full macos running on ARM for years. I can't see it being any harder.

If Apple does not end the infuriating trend to transform once paid and expensive premium apps into paid subscription cashgrabs over night, I'll not buy anything expensive in it again. That slowly destorys my love for the apple (MacOS and iOS) ecosystem.
I started buying everything from outside the app store on MacOS again because of that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If Apple does not end the infuriating trend to transform once paid and expensive premium apps into paid subscription cashgrabs over night, I'll not buy anything expensive in it again.
This is the new world order and Apple has no desire and in no position to stop it. They get a cut of that subscription (when purchased through the MAS) so why would they want to reduce their profits

Reactions: PeterJP

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
This is the new world order and Apple has no desire and in no position to stop it. They get a cut of that subscription (when purchased through the MAS) so why would they want to reduce their profits
You are probably right. It’s still sad to see. They should forbid developers to do that with an existing app. Rename it, version it, do whatever it takes, but I want to be able to download the app I bought, not a sh** f2p version of it. If it stops working because of system updates I can still decide what to do with it.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
You are probably right. It’s still sad to see. They should forbid developers to do that with an existing app. Rename it, version it, do whatever it takes, but I want to be able to download the app I bought, not a sh** f2p version of it. If it stops working because of system updates I can still decide what to do with it.

As a developer I agree with you. But those subscriptions won't stop anytime soon. Developers make more money that way, Apple makes more money that way... So Apple won't even try to stop it, developers won't stop doing subscription models.

But it's not just developers fault. It's everyones fault to be honest. Users want app with million functions for 0.99$ for example. There is a lot of pirated stuff out there as well.

Basically, this trend is not gonna stop. And on this one you can't blame Apple/Google/Microsoft at all. They are the least guilty parties in this entire story. But I hate subscription as well.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The subscription model is just not an acceptable solution for my phone. Make in an Apple Arcade for $5 / month and include everything I need... but I will not subscribe to an app that does not offer any service with it AT ALL. It's ridiculous.

But as I said, you are probably right. It's just so comfy to do it like this for developers/publishers. And the AppStore isn't build for versioned applications and paid upgrades. Right now it feels like subscription based early access where you pay the developer continuously to finish the app, because the classic model isn't profitable.

I mean, I pay for subscriptions. I pay privately for Lightroom/Photoshop, I bought all new versions anyway and it's even cheaper now. Or Jetbrains for their amazing IDEs for work. But I will not pay 5.49€ for a friggin calendar app. That's just ridiculous. We will see if I'm alone with that opinion or if they have to return to the old model because no one subscribes.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But those subscriptions won't stop anytime soon.
Enterprise applications have always been subscription based, even back during the mainframe heyday. Microsoft long lusted after that business model. I'm not blaming them, but point out that this is not a new phenomenon and there's no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube. Software subscriptions is the new world order and its something that will not be going away.

The subscription model is just not an acceptable solution for my phone
Not acceptable to you maybe, but not to the developers and publishers. I don't disagree with you, but this business model is really the only way for developers and publishers to survive

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Enterprise applications have always been subscription based, even back during the mainframe heyday. Microsoft long lusted after that business model. I'm not blaming them, but point out that this is not a new phenomenon and there's no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube. Software subscriptions is the new world order and its something that will not be going away.
That is true, and in many cases subscription got us a better product, with much more frequent updates and new features out of a yearly (or whatever) cycle.
But phone apps are different. These are not applications like Photoshop, Office or IDEs where the subscription fee is justified. At least for me, so I'm out of luck I guess.
[automerge]1588256667[/automerge]

Not acceptable to you maybe, but not to the developers and publishers. I don't disagree with you, but this business model is really the only way for developers and publishers to survive
I don't know. I think phone apps have always been too cheap. Especially the better ones. They will just loose a zillion customers.

There are applications tied to services I happily pay a fee for. 1Password for example. It's a great service well worth the money. But my beloved clipboard manager I bought and that worked and didn't need anything else? No, I refuse to be a part of that. :) They basically removed my purchase without my consent and that's why I don't want to buy stuff on the Appstore anymore.

Last edited:

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Ryzen 4700U review (Acer Swift 3, $650) . It literally obliterated i7-10710U of XPS 13.

acer_swift_3_ryzen_4700u_cinebench_r20_nt-100840108-orig.jpg

acer_swift_3_ryzen_4700u_cinebench_r20_1t-100840104-orig.jpg

Handbreak transcode (lower is better)
acer_swift_3_ryzen_7_4700u_handbrake_1.3.1_4k_transcode_h.265_cpu-100840096-orig.jpg

For full review: https://www.pcworld.com/article/354...core-crushes-intels-10th-gen-chips-again.html

Reactions: c0ppo

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
what a shame that only budget machines are getting these right now. Intel must be scared af that these cheaps machines wipe the floor in raw CPU power with their offerings.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
If Apple does not end the infuriating trend to transform once paid and expensive premium apps into paid subscription cashgrabs over night, I'll not buy anything expensive in it again. That slowly destorys my love for the apple (MacOS and iOS) ecosystem.
I started buying everything from outside the app store on MacOS again because of that.

FCP-X was a one time purchase. Has it moved to subscription? Sketch as on the Mac App Store but they left years ago and upgrades are a subscription. It's not Apple shifting to a subscription basis.. it's the devs.

Which apps moved over to subscription basis?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I wasn't complaining about the shift to subscriptions in general, they are just loosing me as a customer doing so.

What I want Apple to do is adding more restrictions to the AppStore. It's unacceptable that a developer/publisher can just remove the app I paid for and replace it with a newer F2P version. And I don't care if it comes with the features it had before, I paid for it for a reason. I don't want to see constant ads and reminders that I'm a second class user now. Screw that. Take Paste for example, the app simply doesn't work anymore. You have to subscribe to get a clipboard history. I have no idea how this is allowed and possible.

Reactions: handheldgames

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
they are just loosing me as a customer doing so.
Same here, I've largely stopped using some titles because they shifted towards a subscription based model. 1Password is a good example.

The subscription based model os SaaS (Software as a Service) looks enticing to the developer, and I totally get their perspective, but as a consumer, the perspective is less enticing. At first, it doesn't look bad, for instance, I need lightroom and 10 dollars a month is quite a nice deal, or Office 365 which includes a 1TB of storage, but its death by a 1,000 cuts
I quickly pulled together what I'm paying (putting my office subscription to good use :p ) and I was a little shocked, that I'm shelling out over 1,000 year. Some of the subscriptions are a good value, some not so much.

1588331219209.png

I've been extremely resistant to the subscription model, and while there's only two actual applications (office and adobe), my monthly cost of services is too high and I'll be making some hard decisions.

Reactions: handheldgames

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Same here, I've largely stopped using some titles because they shifted towards a subscription based model. 1Password is a good example.

The subscription based model os SaaS (Software as a Service) looks enticing to the developer, and I totally get their perspective, but as a consumer, the perspective is less enticing. At first, it doesn't look bad, for instance, I need lightroom and 10 dollars a month is quite a nice deal, or Office 365 which includes a 1TB of storage, but its death by a 1,000 cuts
I quickly pulled together what I'm paying (putting my office subscription to good use :p ) and I was a little shocked, that I'm shelling out over 1,000 year. Some of the subscriptions are a good value, some not so much.

View attachment 911113

I've been extremely resistant to the subscription model, and while there's only two actual applications (office and adobe), my monthly cost of services is too high and I'll be making some hard decisions.

Why are you paying for iCloud when you are already paying for Office 365? From your numbers it looks like you are paying for the family plans which means you are already getting 1 TB each for 5 accounts. For a family that's enough.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
1Password is a good example.

Actually, I wouldn't agree here. 1Password did go with subscription model, but they also left 'pay once' model as well. It's still available on their site. But in this example, I went with subscription model. I love their service, but since they don't have an app for linux, I'm switching to bitwarden soon.

P.S.
Your list for subscriptions is shocking! My is rather simple: iCloud + 1password + pCloud + OneDrive. Soon iCloud will be off that list :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but they also left 'pay once' model as well.
Do they?

Honest question because I was looking to buy the latest release (and not subscribe) and for the life of me I couldn't find it

Your list for subscriptions is shocking!
Yeah, it kind of surprised me as well, but then I have kids and so the majority of the subscriptions are for my family and not me directly. Adobe and Office are more focused on my needs, but the rest is for them

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Oh I love 1Password, I use the family plan and it's very much worth it. It's also bloody fantastic, that I don't have to use a separate 2FA app anymore, everything is included.
And while I miss a native application, too, I found my peace with 1Password X, and use the webapp with nativefier.

I mean, you get something in return for paying a subscription here. If you want to keep storing your passwords locally, sure, than it's not for you anymore. But there are plenty of good alternatives available I think.
[automerge]1588346394[/automerge]
Regarding subscriptions, do you guys know https://www.bobbyapp.co/

Don't use it if you can't deal with reality ?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

I was sure that you could upgrade to 1pass 7 without subscribing. And yes you can, even today:

It's all described there. I love 1password. It's a shame they don't support linux with native app, so I will be leaving :(

I found my peace with 1Password X

1pass X isn't that bad. But I want native app. Bitwarden has that, and it's an easy transition from one to other. 1Password is better, especially for software licences. I will use 1password in future for sure. But only if they come to linux, or I go back to MacOS, or even switch to Windows (not likely).

Reactions: maflynn

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I was sure that you could upgrade to 1pass 7 without subscribing. And yes you can, even today:

It's all described there. I love 1password. It's a shame they don't support linux with native app, so I will be leaving :(

1pass X isn't that bad. But I want native app. Bitwarden has that, and it's an easy transition from one to other. 1Password is better, especially for software licences. I will use 1password in future for sure. But only if they come to linux, or I go back to MacOS, or even switch to Windows (not likely).
I hope they’ll turn their webapp into an offline first PWA. That would be good enough for me

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
So apparently the mobile AMD GPU I was talking about that Samsung will be using in their future phones are 40-50% faster than the GPU in A13. So Samsung will have faster GPU than the rest (not the CPU mind you).

I hope AMD will make some transition in ARM CPU market. Qualcomm needs some competition or otherwise they are already forming a monopoly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.