Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will Apple do the double switch? Transition to ARM for some computers and AMD for the rest?

Microsoft has a single machine that is ARM based - its quite possible that Apple emulates that strategy as well.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Will Apple do the double switch? Transition to ARM for some computers and AMD for the rest?

Microsoft has a single machine that is ARM based - its quite possible that Apple emulates that strategy as well.
I think a company like Apple knows more than us :) Maybe, just maybe, next gen Intel CPUs will finally be produced with 7nm or whatever and be competitive again...

I would love to get a Thinkpad or Precision with a Ryzen 9 4xxxh. I don't care for GPUs, best option would be one without a hot Nvidia GPU whatsoever. One can dream, right? I don't expect to see anything like that in the coming weeks...

Reactions: PeterJP

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think a company like Apple knows more than us
No question, we can prognosticate till we're blue in the face, but Apple knows what its doing and it a lot of very smart people.

I would love to get a Thinkpad or Precision with a Ryzen 9 4xxxh
I'm quite happy with my ThinkPad though its been largely used by one of my daughters for their home schooling and as for my Razer I'm extremely happy there - like I said before I have no desire or temptation for an AMD chip as Intel is giving providing for what I need

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
One of the thing I am quite eagerly looking for is how Apple's CPU design team cope against the massive demands they will be getting in the future (when they will make the transition towards their own ARM chip). They usually spend their time on a single SKU While Intel & AMDs are releasing multiple products in multiples segments from embedded, mobile, consumer to server. I would like to see if Apple can release a series of CPUs in a year with a consistent performance throughout the entire line ups.

I would also like to see how they would perform in GPU against multiple fronts (AMD, Nvidia & possibly Intel in the bear future.)

Last edited:

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020

We can't rule it out. Sightings of AMD cpus in the mac os have leaked. But when...

AMD are spanking INtel in performance and value. Apple should be on that and passing it onto Mac customers.

Azrael.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I would argue that AMD has even bigger advantage in mobile chips, then in desktop.
At this moment, they are beating Intel in performance. But not only that, they are really beating them in power consumption. Intel needs almost twice the TDP just to compete, and even then they fail.

So I would really like an AMD chip in my thinkpad as well. Way better battery life can't hurt. Also, better performance and better thermals.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I would argue that AMD has even bigger advantage in mobile chips, then in desktop.
At this moment, they are beating Intel in performance. But not only that, they are really beating them in power consumption. Intel needs almost twice the TDP just to compete, and even then they fail.

So I would really like an AMD chip in my thinkpad as well. Way better battery life can't hurt. Also, better performance and better thermals.
I'm not an expert, but this is all because of the 7nm process AMD uses as opposed to the 14nm of Intel, correct?

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020

I'd have thought on the power consumption argument alone AMD would be on Mac by now. But the extra cores and performance along with better Ryzen 4000 with iG options makes them a compelling argument by now?

Azrael.

Reactions: Tekguy0

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not an expert, but this is all because of the 7nm process AMD uses as opposed to the 14nm of Intel, correct?

Smaller size = faster CPU, faster clock speeds, etc. A guy named Dennard discovered this way back in the 70s:

But it's not just about lower nm, there is the whole architecture of the CPU. Apparently, AMD nailed it.

Even though this has nothing to do with Moores law, they are related. While Moores law predicted at what pace features of CPU will shrink, Dennard scalling said that smaller we get those features, higher the clock speed. And now in modern day and age, we also get lower power consumption. Also as I understand it, with lower nm manufactures improve yield, that is, they can produce chips with less money needed.

Also, not an expert on CPUs at all. Just some stuff I read on different places online that stuck with me.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Indeed and what makes it even more surprising (disappointing?) is the struggles that intel has with 10nm

They are far too big to fail all the time. Sooner or later they are gonna be back in the game.
Competition is a wonderful thing. If AMD didn't happen, we would still be on quad cores.

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
They are far too big to fail all the time. Sooner or later they are gonna be back in the game.
Competition is a wonderful thing. If AMD didn't happen, we would still be on quad cores.

I am quite fearful of Jim Keller now that he is with Intel. I have quite a bit some respect on his capabilities. He was the major reason behind K8 & AMD64 when he was AMD's lead architect . Then he did it again in Apple with A4 & A5. Now that AMD is dominating Mobile sector with their SoCs because he was the one that laid out the foundation. Then he came back again in AMD & played a major role behind the success of Zen architecture. His main contribution cam inform of Infinity fabric which game AMD the lead in MCM designs. It's based on his hypertransport model one of Keller's earlier work. Don't know what he did in his stint at Tesla, but what he is working on in Intel will come out around 2022, probably meteor lake I suppose.

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
hi

the problem is the TB3 (INTEL)
The USB4 is not out
Apple must stay with Intel
i wrote 5 day ago that the news mbp could be an Intel 9 11th gen
i hope , i want change my old mbp, i have hope the AMD cpu but i understand this is not possible now

can be in 2021
be4 must come out usb4 compatible with tb3

Apple in Italy is selling his 16''mbp with nice price - 28 30 %
an I 7 9750h 16 gb 500 ssd = 2250 euro

this means that apple is not selling howthey would have hoped this mbp 16''

Last edited:

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Looking at the benchmarks of the Ryzen 7 4800u I think even that would be good enough for me. 8 Cores with that TDP... only available in entry level machines right now though afaik

Last edited:
Reactions: Mauro Marcenaro

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Apple are out of mind...
inside there are financial question and not tech matter
but we spend money for the best and not for their FUTURE DREAMS

Amd has new mobile cpu in next month
i 'd love mbp with 4950h :)
i hope
but APPLE WILL USE 11th intel
i'm so sad

so I m waiting .. if Apple in september or october will sell a mbp 2020 w/ Intel and weak gpu
I 'll buy a desktop w/ the new ryzen 4000

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The IdeaPad 5 that you can configure and order now, will probably trump any Intel 10th gen U laptop in performance when you upgrade to the top Ryzen 7 4800U and they didn't screw up the cooling of it.

Too bad it's 16GB Ram max, has not 4K option and TB3.

Reactions: Mauro Marcenaro

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
amd is the enemy of intel and nvidia
so these two houses imposed to asus lenovo etcetera
that amd will not used its gpu but only medium power nvidia like 1660..

Amd doesn't have the strength, and not too much tactical intelligence,
he spoke too much without holding the real strength in his hand
USB4
and real strong mobile cpu
4800 series are not strong enough to change manufacturers' minds
amd was supposed to come out with a 10 core 20 tread = ryzen 4950, coz
8/16 cores are few
even with 20% more on the CPU bench
amd would have 30% less with the gpu
for this reason I am waiting for what to do
laptop or desktop

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Samsung & AMD early tested mobile RDNA chip destroys Adreno 650 in GPU benchmark

It is from Taiwan.

It is said that it is being tested with the Samsung Exynos combination. The target performance of the current development is said to be Apple's next-generation A14.

Added (Performance target can be increased according to the development schedule.) Off-screen standard

Manhattan 3.1 score 181.8 frames

Aztec Normal 138.25 Frame

Aztec High 58 Frame

It is said that Samsung and AMD are currently trying to optimize. In particular, it is said that it is difficult to tune because there is a performance comparison problem in the power consumption area, but fortunately, the AMD side said that Samsung is proactive in optimizing the chip, so there is no big problem.

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Apple , I think, i doing an hazard , this time are very dangerous, in computer world the real pc world , Apple don’t care, they want make money, but future is an hard object to play , i don t give my moneys for now in an Arm experiment, they doing this coz cpu cost will decrease near 25% , and not coz love performance or research

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Samsung & AMD early tested mobile RDNA chip destroys Adreno 650 in GPU benchmark

It is from Taiwan.

It is said that it is being tested with the Samsung Exynos combination. The target performance of the current development is said to be Apple's next-generation A14.

Added (Performance target can be increased according to the development schedule.) Off-screen standard

Manhattan 3.1 score 181.8 frames

Aztec Normal 138.25 Frame

Aztec High 58 Frame

It is said that Samsung and AMD are currently trying to optimize. In particular, it is said that it is difficult to tune because there is a performance comparison problem in the power consumption area, but fortunately, the AMD side said that Samsung is proactive in optimizing the chip, so there is no big problem.

Tell me if I'm misinterpreting, but this essentially means that AMD + Samsung are trying to save x86 by putting it on par with Apple's ARM Chips?

Honestly, if AMD + Samsung can do that, they will be better for it. x86 will still live on the Windows side for some time now.

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Tell me if I'm misinterpreting, but this essentially means that AMD + Samsung are trying to save x86 by putting it on par with Apple's ARM Chips?

Honestly, if AMD + Samsung can do that, they will be better for it. x86 will still live on the Windows side for some time now.

Nah Samsung will use RDNA as their Mobile GPU. CPU will be ARM with some tweaks in it. Unlike previous Exynos this one won't be Samsung's own design, but just few tweaks in ARM reference design (What Qualcomm does). They signed a contract for using AMD GPU in their Galaxy S phones(When AMD first announced RDNA, apparently it scales down really well)

As for the longevity of x86, it will be for a while in datacenter & Exascale (supercomputer). ARM is still lacking any presence on that front despite efforts from Amazon (Graviton) & Fujitsu (A64fx).

BTW AMD did have an ARM product (K12) they launched for servers, but it didn't take off. They also had a project called SkyBridge, a hybrid of ARM & X86, but they scrapped that product as well. As far as I can tell AMD isn't working on any ARM product ( unless they are secretive about it), but they still hold a license of ARM cores. It's just that after the release & success of Zen it went back in que in the list of priorities.

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Nah Samsung will use RDNA as their Mobile GPU. CPU will be ARM with some tweaks in it. Unlike previous Exynos this one won't be Samsung's own design, but just a tweaks in ARM reference design (What Qualcomm does). They signed a contract for using AMD GPU in their Galaxy S phones(When AMD first announced RDNA, apparently it scales down really well)

As for the longevity of x86, it will be for a while in datacenter & Exascale (supercomputer). ARM is still lacking any presence on that front despite efforts from Amazon (Graviton) & Fujitsu (A64fx).

Ah, ok. Thanks for correcting me.

How do you see Windows transition to ARM going, if at all, and how long do you think that will take? The few attempts to try that out (ARM Surfaces, Continuum) have all ended in disaster. Windows IS compatibility. You take that away and Windows is no longer Windows.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
If Apple manages to pull of ARM transition, then imho Microsoft can't wait with their transition. I know that there are ARM Windows for some time now, buy by transition I mean fully focusing on ARM instead of x86. Linux is there already, that would leave Windows behind competition, especially in server space where ARM is slowly growing.

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Ah, ok. Thanks for correcting me.

How do you see Windows transition to ARM going, if at all, and how long do you think that will take? The few attempts to try that out (ARM Surfaces, Continuum) have all ended in disaster. Windows IS compatibility. You take that away and Windows is no longer Windows.

That's what the problem with Microsoft; They can't strong arm their developers community like Apple can. It would be tricky, but I think they will pull it off at some point. To achieve that point they have to start their kernel from scratch without getting held back by legacy stuffs.

I think Windows 10X was aimed for achieving that. Microsoft Just have to be patient & they shouldn't make the same mistakes they made around the time of Windows Phone (7,8 10 you name it).

Another problem is that lack of strong ARM SoCs from non Apple vendors ( Qualcomm, MediaTek etc) which can pull through around heavy duty tasks.

I think it would take a while for Windows to make that transition. But MS's x64 emulation have to be on top & PWA apps have to make some strides in adoption.
[automerge]1588174585[/automerge]
If Apple manages to pull of ARM transition, then imho Microsoft can't wait with their transition. I know that there are ARM Windows for some time now, buy by transition I mean fully focusing on ARM instead of x86. Linux is there already, that would leave Windows behind competition, especially in server space where ARM is slowly growing.

ARM in datacenter is still at infancy stage, They are good for some specific workloads( some I/O specific stuffs) but lags significantly in majority of workloads. It would take them a while to match the IPC & hyperthreading performance of x86.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.