Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
tbh, though I think they're one of the best

true but that's damning with faint praise. you know Apple is dragging their feet when the most popular eGPU enclosure is a Razer Chroma from PC-LAND. Apple were only promising eGPU type stuff when I bought my 15" MacBook Pro... in 2011! They still don't make one!

Anyway, Thunderbolt is royalty free for a few years now. Apple are a co-developer of it. if Apple wanted Thunderbolt on an AMD Mac, Apple would have Thunderbolt on an AMD Mac.

I think it's clear that Apple are not interested in making an AMD Mac, because their next shift is to in-house CPUs.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I just want AMD to be put in actual premium designs. They've earned it. An AMD Thinkpad X1e would be absolutely perfect.

How do you guys see X86 vs. ARM turning out after Apple switches to their in-house? Do you think X86 has it's place for Windows and general computing, now and into the future after Apple makes the switch? Do you see AMD and Intel making ARM chips, if they haven't already?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple is dragging their feet
I don't expect Apple to roll out an EGPU, instead, they partnered with Blackmagic. I don't see anything more coming from them.

I just want AMD to be put in actual premium designs.
I'm not sold yet, and I still prefer Intel, so I'm happy to see Razer sticking with Intel. I know I need to do more research to see where AMD excels at and what Intel excels at. From what little I've read, Intel is better at single cores and battery but I know I'm just scratching at the surface, so I still need to do my homework

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
From what little I've read, Intel is better at single cores and battery but I know I'm just scratching at the surface, so I still need to do my homework

Intel is better at single core. But by 2-3%, while in multicore AMD crushes them.
As far as battery life goes, it seems that AMD had now way better battery life. Intels H-series CPU can draw up to 90W, while AMD sticks to their claimed W, and still manages to beat Intel.

Now those are just first reviews from a first device.
We will see how things will play out. But if I could choose my CPU for my laptop, I would go all in AMD for now.

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
From what little I've read, Intel is better at single cores and battery but I know I'm just scratching at the surface, so I still need to do my homework

In general Zen 2 has more IPC than Coffee lake which is about 3-5 %. Hardware Unboxed had a video on it. You will find Zen 2 to perform faster than Intel even at 4.4 Ghz compared to 5.1 GHz boost clock of Coffe lake. Though in some app that depends on single core performance Intel still perform better due to optimization but those cases are very few.

Reactions: ssgbryan

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I don't expect Apple to roll out an EGPU, instead, they partnered with Blackmagic. I don't see anything more coming from them.

I'm not sold yet, and I still prefer Intel, so I'm happy to see Razer sticking with Intel. I know I need to do more research to see where AMD excels at and what Intel excels at. From what little I've read, Intel is better at single cores and battery but I know I'm just scratching at the surface, so I still need to do my homework

Why do you prefer Intel? Just curious!

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Just personal preference.
I can imagine. I've been back and forth. In 2002, AMD ruled with their Opteron 64 bit processors and Intel played catch-up. Then Intel came with the tick-tock design process and ruled the market for more than a decade. Possibly we're in for a role reversal again. It's been a very good 10+ years for Intel and that's a good reason to stick with them for a while longer.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I personally don't care if it's Intel or AMD CPU in my computer. In early 2000s, I was using AMD, Later on switched to Intel, because they had better CPUs. Last year I've built a PC, but used AMD.

Whoever has the better CPU, I want that CPU. At this moment, in desktop, it's not even a competition. AMD is way better then Intel.
As it stands now, they are gonna smoke Intel even in mobile market. If I could choose AMD as my CPU in X1E, I would. But since I can't, it's Intel in mobile for now.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I personally don't care if it's Intel or AMD CPU in my computer. In early 2000s, I was using AMD, Later on switched to Intel, because they had better CPUs. Last year I've built a PC, but used AMD.

Whoever has the better CPU, I want that CPU. At this moment, in desktop, it's not even a competition. AMD is way better then Intel.
As it stands now, they are gonna smoke Intel even in mobile market. If I could choose AMD as my CPU in X1E, I would. But since I can't, it's Intel in mobile for now.

I'm of that opinion as well - although Intel has shown it's cards multiple times in how dirty they are in business.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Damn, I really want to get one of these fancy Ryzen 9 CPUs, but I'm afraid they will not be powering any of the laptops from Lenovo/Dell I'm interested in anytime soon :(

Last edited:
Reactions: c0ppo

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU is the way to go for 2020. I am not jumping on the AMD Bandwagon just yet, I think as soon as Intel figures out manufacturing, they may very well take the lead again. AMD also needs to convince manufacturers to put their stuff in premium devices... so both manufacturers have work to do.

Either way, this is great. I want there to be insane competition between the two for when I purchase my next laptop around 2023. I'm also expecting nvidia to come out with some cool stuff because honestly their updates since the GTX 10xx series hasn't been all that amazing. RTX is honestly just a minor update and RTX Super seems to be another minor update. Both updates are decently substantial, and that's the pattern we've seen from both AMD and nvidia - small bump, small bump, huge leap. Repeat.

Reactions: 09872738

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Just a few short years ago, if you wanted:
* server CPU - go with Intel
* desktop CPU - go with Intel
* laptop CPU - go with Intel

At this very moment, all of those categories go to AMD. Easily.

4900HS is a 35W CPU. And it beats Intels offering in almost every category. It's more efficient, powerful, and doesn't thermal throttle like Intels CPU.

I'm just waiting around for 4900H. That's 45W CPU. So we can compare results again. It will be a pounding.
Funny enough, it looks like ryzen laptops are sold out. I guess OEMs don't even have a choice anymore, they will have to put ryzen in premium class as well. If they are following market rules and not some shady games with Intel, by the end of this year, or starting 2021, we will see ryzen in premium class.

As far as Intel goes, they got to hurry up with 10nm. But that will be in 2021, and AMD won't just be sitting next race out.

It's great to have competitor to Intel again. I just hope AMD can keep it up. They are tiny when compared to Intel.

Reactions: Ulfric and 09872738

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Just a few short years ago, if you wanted:
* server CPU - go with Intel
* desktop CPU - go with Intel
* laptop CPU - go with Intel

At this very moment, all of those categories go to AMD. Easily.

4900HS is a 35W CPU. And it beats Intels offering in almost every category. It's more efficient, powerful, and doesn't thermal throttle like Intels CPU.

I'm just waiting around for 4900H. That's 45W CPU. So we can compare results again. It will be a pounding.
Funny enough, it looks like ryzen laptops are sold out. I guess OEMs don't even have a choice anymore, they will have to put ryzen in premium class as well. If they are following market rules and not some shady games with Intel, by the end of this year, or starting 2021, we will see ryzen in premium class.

As far as Intel goes, they got to hurry up with 10nm. But that will be in 2021, and AMD won't just be sitting next race out.

It's great to have competitor to Intel again. I just hope AMD can keep it up. They are tiny when compared to Intel.

It's either the demand is crazy good, or the yields and rates at which AMD can produce them is not very good. I think it's a little bit of both.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
It's either the demand is crazy good, or the yields and rates at which AMD can produce them is not very good. I think it's a little bit of both.
We are also at the beginning of a pandemic. That might have an impact, too 😉

I really want a Ryzen, but I will not buy a gaming laptop without a webcam. I want something like an X1 Extreme.

Reactions: TSE

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
By Friday I'm gonna receive X1E 2nd gen. I'm sure it's gonna be a great device, I've owned 1st gen. But put Ryzen in there, and battery life will improve while gaining in performance. Easy win for Lenovo. I just hope that they do just that by next generation. But I highly doubt it :(

Reactions: maflynn

Ulfric

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2018
Please expound upon what disappoints you

Think about it, 10875H is a 45 watt CPU & it can't even beat Renoir at 62 watt. While you have to keep in mind that 4900HS is not AMD's top of the line mobile CPU (It is a 35W SKU not 45W. 4900H will be and We haven't seen 4900H it in any other laptops yet). Comes at higher price. The improvement in single threaded performance only comes from higher boost clock which will not be sustainable for a long time. For any long workloads or Multithreaded workloads it is getting beat by 4900H for almost 30% margin. That's insane. Tim also avoided speaking of its battery life. We can easily guess that it's going to be atrocious; while 4900HS gives you 12 Hour battery life with video play back. All these come at lower price point. Intel is doomed even at Mobile & ultraportable category, only place where AMD never had any kind of lead over Intel. If that's not disappointing then what is.

Reactions: maflynn

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Do we know anything about the 4900H yet? Did someone review it, got a laptop with it?

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Do we know anything about the 4900H yet? Did someone review it, got a laptop with it?
The H seems to only have a higher base clock than the HS (3.3GHz vs 3.0). Turbo is almost the same. I doubt you'll notice anything in real life. I would pick the HS and enjoy the longer battery life, which will be noticeable.

There's an overview of the processors and the laptops who use it at https://www.ultrabookreview.com/35985-amd-ryzen-4900h-4900hs-laptops/ There is a 15" and 17" ASUS TUF Gaming that use the 4900H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.