Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Unfortunately, no support for Big Navi 2 in Big Sur 11.2 RC2 :confused:

Edit: Should have said "Big Navi 2" not Big Navi.

What is Big Navi 1...?

Because it is not the 5000-series of RDNA-based GPUs...

Big Navi is the 6800 / 6800 XT / 6900 XT GPUs, based on the RDNA2 architecture...

There is no "Big Navi 2"...

Reactions: Eschers

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I too have the Mac Pro 2019 and a new Sapphire Nitro RX 6900 XT. I realize it's a waiting game for Big Sur and/or Catalina, but I expected it to work in bootcamp. I had left the RX 580 in there. I have a promise pegasus RAID too, so I had
the Promise in slot 1 ( MPX card, covering slot 2)
the Rx 580 in slot 3 (a half width MPX)
The RX 6900 XT in Slot 4 with 2 of the baby 8 to 6X2 power cables from the belkin kit wired to the board for power

It booted no problem with no cables attached to the RX6900

In Catalina and Big Sur, Slot 4 showed up as occupied by an AMD GPU with no kext (as expected)
==========
In Bootcamp Windows 10 (latest), I did see a MS Generic display driver in addition to the AMD RX580. However plugging the HDMI cable into the RX 6900 did nothing.

I downloaded the specific adrenaline drivers for the RX 6900 XT from AMD's web site (dated Jan 21 2021) and attempted to install. No dice. It said no recognized AMD card available.

Thinking there may be a conflict with the RX580, I removed it and booted again. Just darkness, lol. I can tell it booted. I guess I'll make sure to set up RDP this time.

What is the trick? This seems totally chicken/egg. The AMD software won't install as it doesn't see its own card somehow. If there is a card conflict, you have to run blind while one driverless card is inserted? Someone had a month of late nights in a row when they were designing this driver system.

My system is a little unconventional. I have the memory full and the 28 core Xeon. It will be amazing when the card is going.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 10.08.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 10.08.51 PM.png
    283.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_8057.JPG
    IMG_8057.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_8058.JPG
    IMG_8058.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: Eschers

s4ru

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
Yeah, it’s a bit tricky.

Try connecting HDMI to MPX and boot into Windows 10.
Uninstall Radeon Software.
And then install the latest AMD 6x00 driver from AMD website.
You will encounter “no recognized card” issue.
Then try manual install as described here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-the-latest-amd-drivers-in-bootcamp.2245324/

After that, try connecting HDMI to 6x00 series card and voila, I think you’ll get image via a card.
However you need to detach MPX module to use Adrenaline software, I think.

Above procedure is rough guide so your milage may vary.
For me it was pretty hard to find out too.

Hope it helps.

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Dude- GREAT information thanks.

I was able to get the display adapter to take, then see a picture.
Strangely, the RX 580 did not show up when I followed the process on the other adapter and did "have a disk" and browsed the displays in the inf file. I opened it in notepad and, again, found the 580 RX in there- it just wouldn't allow it to come up.

I am going to attempt to bring up my system as it was stable for the 580x and just add the driver. That may do it.

Again, thanks. Wonky! No idea how the adrenaline program STILL says it doesn't see the AMD card when it's installed and even the driver is active.

Reactions: thexash

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I am going to do the bootcampdrivers.com route today to see how that goes. Something is missing in my mental model but I suspect:
AMD Drivers have some kind of "black list (don't install)" that detects "untested motherboards" and refuses to show their own driver card if one of those is present. Or the opposite- they have a list of "working motherboards" and/or computer firmware that has been tested and they will ONLY install / display the presence of their card if one of those is present. Either way, it just seems REALLY strange that they wouldn't just allow their drivers to install easily as long as their own card is present. Looks like this is how bootcampdrivers.com was born. Still relatively new to this- I haven't had to think about interrupts, conflicts, or anything like that since my PC days - we're talking '90s here.

In the meantime- I hope everyone will join me in donating to the cause.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.20.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.20.42 AM.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 101

sebastardo

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Hi There,
Sorry for the following question. I see you are all pretty advanced (pro) in Hardware. I'm not.
But still: I'm running a 5,1 (Mojave, 12 3,46 GHz core 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 680 2 GB). Starting to learn Blender an Stuff, I realize I need a decent graphics card (can't even do GPU-Rendering on mine right now). So, is there a way to get a 6900XT running in my machine? Especially if I want to keep Mojave.
Any hint (been reading around in forums) how and where to get started? Or recomendation what card to get?
Thank you !!!

Reactions: cyco and Eschers

hifimac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
Hi There,
Sorry for the following question. I see you are all pretty advanced (pro) in Hardware. I'm not.
But still: I'm running a 5,1 (Mojave, 12 3,46 GHz core 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 680 2 GB). Starting to learn Blender an Stuff, I realize I need a decent graphics card (can't even do GPU-Rendering on mine right now). So, is there a way to get a 6900XT running in my machine? Especially if I want to keep Mojave.
Any hint (been reading around in forums) how and where to get started? Or recomendation what card to get?
Thank you !!!
I don't think a 5,1 will have the PSU to power a 6900XT, MAYBE a 6800XT with a Pixlas mod, but that would involve getting it up to Big Sur or Bootcamping via OpenCore. Apple depreciated Open CL, which Blender uses to do GPU rendering on macOS, so currently there is no way to do GPU rendering in Cycles on macOS and Blender. They are moving Blender to Vulkan and hopefully will port that to Metal via MoltenVK, but that is a ways out. If you want to do GPU rendering in Blender, a PC with an Nvidia card is unfortunately your best bet right now.

Reactions: cyco

sebastardo

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Hi and thanks for your quick reply. If you are into that field, what about ProRender for Blender, that is offered by AMD. Does it not support GPU Rendering on a Mac. I can also go the other way round: Run Windows on the 5,1. Why not? If it's easier. I don't want to dive too deeply into hardware, my focus (time to spend) is on Software (blender and unity) at the moment.

hifimac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
My only experience with ProRender was in C4D, and it was not ready for production work. Maxon has removed it from the software to focus on Redshift. Looks like Octane and Redshift have Blender support now on a PC, so Windows could be an option. Bottom line is this, those 5,1 have had a really good long life and have been useful way beyond their initially intended life span. These machines are well over 10 years old at this point and if 3D rendering is your passion, it is time to move on. If you are talking about dropping that cash on a GPU and going through the hassle of installing Windows, you might as well scrap up some additional funds and build a PC. Really hoping Apple brings some heat with the new pro focused AS machines and they become viable 3D rendering machines again.

Reactions: bsbeamer

sebastardo

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
alright, thanks for your advice. I know, a 5,1 is an outdated machine, but for what I
've been using it its perfect. Why spend money on stuff I don't need? Since I'm totally new to 3 D I'll go for a Windows on my 5,1 since I'm already on a NVIDIA card I can give it a try. I don't have to do professional work for now, but rendering on CPU is painfull. If I get some speed upgrade done this way, I can sit and lead back to see how apple or AMD or whatever does what decission and decide later.
thanks!

sebastardo

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Why not? Yes I can do that if it is functional. What I'm looking for ist better rendering times on my machine. I know I need a new graphics card for this. But it seems not be bee easy if you're using blender under a mac. I'm willing to invest some money here, but I just don't know what to get. This is a jungle! Easiest would be to buy an fast AMD. But I don't know if it will work with blender...

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
That’s what I mean.

And the Mac Pro has quite a few years of support in it yet, I can’t see them not offering new GPUs for it as AMD releases new cards. They made a big deal about the modularity, and already released a few new cards since launch.

I’d be stunned if they aren’t working with prototypes of these new cards.
I’m most curious about the professional video, computational, and 3D spaces for this Apple Silicon transition. It may take a lot longer for Apple to have GPU performance at or above the top tier third party cards. I have a 6900xt in my gaming PC. It would be great if I could do a hackintosh on an extra drive.

Another thought- the software development for games on Apple hardware now seems easier to derive from iOS foundations as opposed to PC ports. Then again, maybe Apple will address this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.