Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Even if ChromeOS was the future, Google is not pushing it too much on consumers. In my country, Chromebooks are left for government contracts for education. It's hard to find retail versions for consumers from any of the OEMs, and if there were any, it's more expensive than the typical Windows laptops. Obviously consumers have voted here, and Windows is here to stay. Without the userbase, ChromeOS tablets won't even be feasible.

Android tablets itself seems to be seeing some rejuventations, thanks to the pandemic. Many people cannot afford to buy a laptop for Zooming, so many are using smartphones. And it's natural for some people to opt for tablets for the larger screen (7"-10"). It's booming that Xiaomi and Realme, for some abrupt reason (money), decided to sell their Android tablets in the country. Samsung, of course, was the only staple for Android tablets so far.

As a user of an Android tablet myself (typing this on one), the biggest problem for Android tablet is the lack of tablet optimized apps. Even Firefox browser is not optimized for tablets. That shows you the lack of interest from developers. With Google's ignoring the tablet market, it's up to Samsung to improve Android on their tablets. Although Samsung's effort is commendable, such as side-by-side, and Dex, it's buggy since not apps behaves correctly. Many apps cannot even be put side by side, or super buggy. Even Microsoft's own Office apps can bug out. It's not unusable, but those bugs will definitely turn off many consumers.

Worse, Android tablets have had bad impressions for so long on consumers that they only see it as a pacifier for their kids, thanks to the early super cheap (and crap) 7-8" Android tablets from random companies. Amazon is at fault here as well with their Fire tablets, making people think that Android tablets should be cheap and crap.

I do have high hopes, as Android by itself is really versatile as an OS, and yes, I can be productive on it. The advantage of the ARM architecture is apparent vs a typical Windows laptop. No overheating, long lasting battery. The problem remains on the software and apps. Hopefully with Samsung working closely with Google, we will see something.

Reactions: ozaz

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I prefer Windows 10 x64 over ChromeOS plus the best bang for the buck in my collection is the $400-500 Lenovo Yoga 6. It's so versatile it can even play Doom Eternal 900p ~50fps and Cyberpunk 2077 720p <=30fps. Just wished they made a 2-in-1 instead of a 360-convertible. For form factors, 2-in-1 > 360-convertible > clamshell.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Most people don’t need a tablet. Or even a home computer anymore. Smartphones are the way to go.

Remember I said MOST. Of course there are still people out there. But looking at the research. Android tablets are far from dead.
I kinda agree, especially in emerging markets where the smartphone is the first "computer" for most people. Since a phone is a must-have, the smartphone becomes the ideal all-in-one device. When these consumers want a larger screen device, a tablet is the natural progression. This is accelerated with the pandemic and working/schooling from home.

Reactions: Bodhitree

OneGrit

macrumors member
May 12, 2021
Richmond, British Columbia
Android tablets are far from dead. It's just that they can turn into phones now with one quick user-induced manipulation of the hardware and we tend to consider them what they are in their folded states. That said, I'm not ready to buy into these new form factors yet but they're quickly maturing. Heck, the current iPad Mini gives us a pretty good idea of what an unfolded iPhone Fold may be like...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Great device except for lack of full desktop browser but at least 3rd party browsers have their unique web engine like Google Blink, Firefox Gecko, etc. while 3rd party browsers on iPad are all gimped through Apple WebKit plus other limitations and restrictions.

What's lack of full desktop browser in your eyes?

Samsung browser and Chrome easily shows websites in Desktop mode. Chrome is missing extensions but Samsung browser has some extensions. Other than Chrome extensions, it's basically capable of doing everything else and rendering websites the same as the desktop version.

Also, there is the issue of select sites like Netflix forcing the app to open. But why would you want to watch through the browser anyways.

And if I want to show my browser in windowed version (the same as on a desktop), I can always go into DEX mode.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
And here's me all excited about buying a Tab S8 when it's released....
lol.gif

I suggest that you still be excited but hold off buying the S8 at launch. Samsung is notorious for deeply discounting their products. For example: on last year's Black Friday I scored a Tab S6 (128GB storage, 6GB RAM, etc.) for $325 on their website (NOT a doorbuster sale either)... a book cover for $15 and book cover keyboard for $45.

There is sure to be deep discounts on the S7 line soon if you'd be interested in that at a discount... or wait 3-4 months after the S8 is released and knock off 20%.

Reactions: airbusking

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What's lack of full desktop browser in your eyes?

Samsung browser and Chrome easily shows websites in Desktop mode. Chrome is missing extensions but Samsung browser has some extensions. Other than Chrome extensions, it's basically capable of doing everything else and rendering websites the same as the desktop version.

Also, there is the issue of select sites like Netflix forcing the app to open. But why would you want to watch through the browser anyways.

And if I want to show my browser in windowed version (the same as on a desktop), I can always go into DEX mode.
Well said. But I agree with @mi7chy on the need for a desktop-strength browser. Page rendering on mobile browsers is excellent, especially with the option to present the desktop version of a page.

UI, features, extensions and plug-ins (to a lesser extent) are the key elements that are missing from mobile browsers. Desktop browsers have significantly more features and settings than their mobile counterparts and therefore need a UI that makes accessing them easier. That would not be an enjoyable experience on a mobile browser.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well said. But I agree with @mi7chy on the need for a desktop-strength browser. Page rendering on mobile browsers is excellent, especially with the option to present the desktop version of a page.

UI, features, extensions and plug-ins (to a lesser extent) are the key elements that are missing from mobile browsers. Desktop browsers have significantly more features and settings than their mobile counterparts and therefore need a UI that makes accessing them easier. That would not be an enjoyable experience on a mobile browser.

Yup extensions would be VERY welcomed.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Most people don’t need a tablet. Or even a home computer anymore. Smartphones are the way to go.

Remember I said MOST. Of course there are still people out there. But looking at the research. Android tablets are far from dead.
Most? I very much doubt "most" households don't have a computer or tablet. Smartphones will never replace them.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Most? I very much doubt "most" households don't have a computer or tablet. Smartphones will never replace them.
I would hazard to guess that in much of the world there are millions upon millions of households without a tablet or desktop or laptop computer. I was going to say in second and third world countries but I realised that I know people working in decent jobs living in London who only have mobile phones. Not my ideal situation but for many younger people that is the reality.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I would hazard to guess that in much of the world there are millions upon millions of households without a tablet or desktop or laptop computer. I was going to say in second and third world countries but I realised that I know people working in decent jobs living in London who only have mobile phones. Not my ideal situation but for many younger people that is the reality.
Obviously I'm not talking about third world countries with very little money. Literally everyone I know has some kind of tablet at the very least, particularly those with kids.

Just sounds obsurd to me that people are suggesting tiny smartphones are the way to go.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
View attachment 1875654

I suggest that you still be excited but hold off buying the S8 at launch. Samsung is notorious for deeply discounting their products. For example: on last year's Black Friday I scored a Tab S6 (128GB storage, 6GB RAM, etc.) for $325 on their website (NOT a doorbuster sale either)... a book cover for $15 and book cover keyboard for $45.

There is sure to be deep discounts on the S7 line soon if you'd be interested in that at a discount... or wait 3-4 months after the S8 is released and knock off 20%.
I might, depends on the bundle, if it includes the keyboard, then I'll probably go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Here's a video that showcases what Samsung Android tablets with DeX can do. I didn't make this video but the S6 and keyboard cover is what I have...

I currently have the Tab S4 and had the Tab S 10.5, both with keyboard covers, no track pads, but I can't imagine not having the keyboard, even if I'm just a media consumer.

Dex is well implemented but it's something I don't use/need, I can see the appeal for those who do use it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I currently have the Tab S4 and had the Tab S 10.5, both with keyboard covers, no track pads, but I can't imagine not having the keyboard, even if I'm just a media consumer.

Dex is well implemented but it's something I don't use/need, I can see the appeal for those who do use it.
I agree...I too have a need for keyboards with my tablets. I even have a folding bluetooth keyboard for my Samsung A20 smartphone. Considering that it supports landscape usage, I find that I can use it to great effect with the keyboard (and integrated kickstand in the phone case)

And tru, DeX is not for everyone. But DeX isn't bad for a tablet that's "dead". :D

Reactions: Klyster

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
If you know the history of how ARM tablets came about, it was a stripped down alternative to expensive and bulky portable PCs but the compromise of ARM tablets is you get a stripped down mobile web experience via mobile browser and/or apps. That model is obsolete as there are now devices with the same form factor and priced even lower that have full web browser. No more having to waste money on higher storage tiers to install app per web site (Reddit, Facebook, Target, Best Buy, etc.) and no more gambling if your web sites/apps will work properly when it's the sole device on you with nothing else to fall back on. Android and iPadOS tablets now only make sense if they're a subset of another OS that has a full desktop browser like Windows 11, ChromeOS and somewhat MacOS but lacks touch/pen inputs.
I see and understand your point, and respect your viewpoint on the subject.

I am just wondering how important that is to the general public that use these devices. Judging by sales numbers on the iOS side, I honestly don't believe that consumers really care about the level of browser these systems have installed. I think they care more about what they can access / do on these devices, and what applications they can enjoy in whatever ecosystem they reside in.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Android tablets are dead partly because Apple was better at making and marketing tablets. The iPad might have suffered the same fate if not for Apple finding creative ways to continue using their tablets.

But keep in mind that tablets partly faltered just like Apple’s iPod because another device made it redundant. Phones are now much bigger and you don’t have to worry about lack of internet access and you can carry your oversized phone with you and it does so much more than any Android tablet.

I believe you can take and make calls on the iPad but I could be wrong about that. The iPad’s day in the sun will come one day but not just yet.
It seems like iPhones and Android phones have been taking cuts from both Android tablets and iPads.

For me, I'm actually in the market for a tablet. However, it's a "very nice to have", but definitely not a "must have". I have a work PC, but my home PC is very nice too (mostly for gaming and internet, but some productivity for sure). My Chromebook is here to stay. It's very nice to go online with. When it croaks, I'll likely replace it (and now have the benefit that I can jump in on Chromebooks being able to run Android apps). I have an Android phone for phone stuff.

Interestingly enough for if I do buy a new tablet, it'll either be an iPad 9th gen (64 GB), or some discount Samsung one on Costco. I'm fine either way, as I can afford to pay extra for the iPad, but I'm sure the Android tablet will still do everything I'd like it to do, so you could say "I'm on the fence for no reason".

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Perfect timing, Google release SDK for their new version of Android made specifically for tablets and foldables.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Chris Pirillo has recently switched form the latest gen iPad Pro 11 to the tab S7+.

It’s refreshing to hear real user feedback rather than the predictable tripe we get from most tech YouTube reviewers.
He is one of the OG sensationalist YouTube reviewers IMO. Have been following him for years, and while I don't dislike him, I sometimes question his motives and who / what is backing him in some of his decisions / posts.

That said, I respect his decision on that Tablet. I am holding onto my OG11, but not committing to a new big iPad until I see what the advancements come out in 2022 at Google IO, and their renewed attention on Tablets due to the growing Foldable market.

Could be an awesome resurgence next year!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
He is one of the OG sensationalist YouTube reviewers IMO. Have been following him for years, and while I don't dislike him, I sometimes question his motives and who / what is backing him in some of his decisions / posts.

That said, I respect his decision on that Tablet. I am holding onto my OG11, but not committing to a new big iPad until I see what the advancements come out in 2022 at Google IO, and their renewed attention on Tablets due to the growing Foldable market.

Could be an awesome resurgence next year!
He’s calmed down in recent years. I remember when he used to scream on about the notch and iOS 7. He was unbearable then.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
He’s calmed down in recent years. I remember when he used to scream on about the notch and iOS 7. He was unbearable then.
There was indeed a period of time (a long period) where he thought he was a more important voice... and back in the day, there might have been a bit of truth to it. But these days, he's just one of many, and that schtick doesn't age well.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California

I am one of those MOST. My eyesight is not friendly with any device below 10 inch.
I had surgery in 2019. Needed to elevate my leg, so I would streach out on the sofa. My tablet is now my go-to device.
Some games play better with a mouse, but my computer gets very little use.
I have a growing number of Google Play Store apps that are not compatible with my tablet and there's nothing I can do.
The iPad probably has no compatibly issues.
Amazon will keep the Android tablet alive. I have two and a Samsung. The lower priced Fire tablets work well and slowly improve.
Google is supposed to be working on Android 12L for larger screens, but for now, phones get all the love.

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I am one of those MOST. My eyesight is not friendly with any device below 10 inch.
I had surgery in 2019. Needed to elevate my leg, so I would streach out on the sofa. My tablet is now my go-to device.
Some games play better with a mouse, but my computer gets very little use.
I have a growing number of Google Play Store apps that are not compatible with my tablet and there's nothing I can do.
The iPad probably has no compatibly issues.
Amazon will keep the Android tablet alive. I have two and a Samsung. The lower priced Fire tablets work well and slowly improve.
Google is supposed to be working on Android 12L for larger screens, but for now, phones get all the love.

I have a brand new pc. Got it about 4 months ago. If it weren’t for my kids playing Roblox, it wouldn’t ever get touched lol. I’ve never liked the fire tablets. Always strikes me as a cheap version of a tablet. But too each is own. I’m glad to hear they are improving from what they use to be.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
I have a brand new pc. Got it about 4 months ago. If it weren’t for my kids playing Roblox, it wouldn’t ever get touched lol. I’ve never liked the fire tablets. Always strikes me as a cheap version of a tablet. But too each is own. I’m glad to hear they are improving from what they use to be.
I've been reading where Roblox is still down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.