Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm honestly pretty happy with my el-cheapo Walmart "ONN" branded tablets. Great for ebook reading, quick searches, and YouTube videos.

Their ONN Tablet Pro has Android 11, and a metal back. Octa Core CPU and 4GB RAM. Not bad, Walmart. Not bad at all!

USB-C too, if that's your thing. I personally still can't understand why yet another cable was neccessary. Just reversable. Not really worth keeping yet another cable though. I never had issues plugging in Micro USB properly. Now I have to keep up with lightning, Micro USB and now Type C. That's three! I refuse to toss 'legacy' devices into the bin just to have all type C stuff, only to probably deal with yet another change no one asked for just to cause more chaos.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
That Onn 11.6" Tablet Pro snuck under the radar with no YouTube review. Based on the reviews it's only been out for about a month. Wonder how it fares against the Fire HD 10 Plus which is priced slightly higher but doesn't come with a keyboard.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Amazon tablets are absolutely trash. Worst OS I've used in years and even worse performance. Bought a Fire tablet for my son to read books and play games on and it stutters just trying to use the menu or move around the UI.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Amazon tablets are absolutely trash. Worst OS I've used in years and even worse performance. Bought a Fire tablet for my son to read books and play games on and it stutters just trying to use the menu or move around the UI.
That's part of the problem. Added on that Amazon was selling them at cost since they get profit elsewhere, consumers get the notion that Android tablets must be cheap (and crap as the consequences). Most OEMs other than Samsung ended up giving up. Less user base, less developers interested in optimizing their apps for tablets. Add on Google themselves losing interest, it's a bleak prospect. Samsung is literary the only one innovating with Dex etc.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
That's part of the problem. Added on that Amazon was selling them at cost since they get profit elsewhere, consumers get the notion that Android tablets must be cheap (and crap as the consequences). Most OEMs other than Samsung ended up giving up. Less user base, less developers interested in optimizing their apps for tablets. Add on Google themselves losing interest, it's a bleak prospect. Samsung is literary the only one innovating with Dex etc.
I suppose that applies to the U.S.

In other countries, other manufacturers sell many Android tablets. Which are trash and cheap.

Just look at Alibaba to see how many different tablets you can find for sale.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Everything is relative. My iPad Pro M1 is overpriced limited trash to me. For specific use cases like YouTube, emulation, PDF viewer, reference, 2nd screen, etc. I'd rather pay less for an Amazon Fire HD 10 or equivalent so perhaps the ONN. Makes even more sense if I'm working on my car and need something to watch DIY guides that's not any better on a $1K device plus less worry if I happen to drop or break it. Actually use a $80 Fire HD 10 more than the iPad Pro M1 which is probably the worst bang for buck device I've acquired.

Reactions: skaertus

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Everything is relative. My iPad Pro M1 is overpriced limited trash to me. For specific use cases like YouTube, emulation, PDF viewer, reference, 2nd screen, etc. I'd rather pay less for an Amazon Fire HD 10 or equivalent so perhaps the ONN. Makes even more sense if I'm working on my car and need something to watch DIY guides that's not any better on a $1K device plus less worry if I happen to drop or break it. Actually use a $80 Fire HD 10 more than the iPad Pro M1 which is probably the worst bang for buck device I've acquired.
Well, yes. I kind of found it weird that Apple put the M1 inside the iPad Pro. Perhaps it was to justify the high price tag.

But the fact is that the software available for the iPad does not take advantage of all this power.

I would never buy an iPad Pro because, although I would enjoy the 12.9-inch screen, I find it too expensive for a tablet and unnecessary power for running too limited software.

I know that some people may find it useful, but I have a hard time imagining who would benefit from it. Perhaps only a small niche of professionals, but even so...

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I remember when folks (including myself at first) thought Android phones were garbage based off of the cheap, easily accessible Tracfone $30 handsets running outdated versions at the time. Random restarts, running out of storage easily, crashing, and stuttering were considered normal.

Buying a flagship, and optimizing it properly (never turn auto updates on!) tells a much different story. You do get what you pay for. How much does an Apple device cost again?

I can easily see how one's impression of an Android tablet could be marred based entirely on cheap devices or heavily skinned variants (looking at you, Samsung!).

However, things were a lot different in 2011-13, when 'tablet UI' and tablet apps on Android existed. Google has been trying systematically to degrade the tablet experience probably to sell Chromebooks or something. They ditched Tablet UI in 4.4 Kitkat, and most apps are blown up phone apps. Meanwhile, Apple has proper tablet UI and apps on iPad.

On the phone front, sadly, unless you're sporting a device with a 120Hz screen, scrolling on an iOS device will spoil you. You can tell the difference easily and it's visually jarring if you used an Apple device first. My first smartphone was an iPhone 3GS, so going to Android devices really hurt at first.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Well, yes. I kind of found it weird that Apple put the M1 inside the iPad Pro. Perhaps it was to justify the high price tag.

But the fact is that the software available for the iPad does not take advantage of all this power.

I would never buy an iPad Pro because, although I would enjoy the 12.9-inch screen, I find it too expensive for a tablet and unnecessary power for running too limited software.

I know that some people may find it useful, but I have a hard time imagining who would benefit from it. Perhaps only a small niche of professionals, but even so...
I think Apple putting the M1 into the iPad Pros is more of cost savings. Rather than manufacturing 2 different chips (M1 and "A14X"), just use 1, the M1 (probably binned for lower running frequencies). Economies of scale.

So there will be no more "X" chips. Macs and iPad Pros will use the M chips, while consumer iPads and iPhones use the A chips.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
I know why Google is isn't putting any effort into android tablets, cause they are working on chrome OS tablets. That is the future.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus matches the Ipad in terms of hardware plus a Windows Dex multitasking option which makes it the best tablet currently available.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I think Apple putting the M1 into the iPad Pros is more of cost savings. Rather than manufacturing 2 different chips (M1 and "A14X"), just use 1, the M1 (probably binned for lower running frequencies). Economies of scale.

So there will be no more "X" chips. Macs and iPad Pros will use the M chips, while consumer iPads and iPhones use the A chips.
Yes, I think it was the case here.

I also think that the chip inside the iPad Air is enough for nearly anything the iPad can do. Apple put the M1 chip inside the Pro and handicapped the Air (by not offering a larger version nor ProMotion) to keep the price points high.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
My 2019 Samsung Galaxy Tab A is not noticably better than my 2019 Amazon Fire Tablet. Both are 10 inch with 64 GB storage.
Got the Amazon update with no on screen ads.
Both have USB C for changing.
My 2017 Fire 10 was regular micro USB and the port is sloppy. Have to strap a rubber band around the cable to charge.
It is only 32 GB storage and is still usable.
Both Amazon are 2GB RAM while the Samsung is 3 GB RAM.
Samsung has GPS and can cast to Roku and Fire TV.
You would think an Amazon tablet could cast to a Fire TV.
It is annoying that some Google Play Store apps are not compatible and no one seems to know why or care.
Also frustrating that Android devices are not updated like Apple tablets or phones.
My Samsung m-a-y receive Android 12. Went 9-10-11.
Amazon updates for a longer period of time (maybe 4 years after the product is no longer for sale).
The OS is not updated to a newer version.
I use the Google Play Store on both Amazon tablets.
App compatibility is worse with Amazon, as it is not supported.
Too many apps are not available from Amazon's store.
I could not live without the Opera browser.
It automatically word wraps.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Amazon devices are full of ads and bloat in the new OS they run, and especially obvious on the Fire TV Stick. Laggy is an understatement. Streams fine but the UI lag is annoying.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Amazon devices are full of ads and bloat in the new OS they run, and especially obvious on the Fire TV Stick. Laggy is an understatement. Streams fine but the UI lag is annoying.
How do you think Amazon can sell tablets so cheap?
Like the Poloroid camera. Camera was cheap until you wanted film.
I do not like the Fire TV OS at all.
The Roku is my favorite in every way.
I'm sure the Apple TV OS is nice. I'm just not willing to spend that much.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I already spent the money on the Apple TV in 2019. It was constantly insisting on being updated that became a deal breaker. I hate how laggy the UI is on the Fire Stick. It streams fine but the UI lag is awful. Rokus have a tendency to remove apps server side (none are ever really installed, they're just web app links) like the Spectrum App and others have disappeared or stop working. The fact they literally remote-bricked my Roku XD makes me leery relying on it as a long term solution. I'm an if it ain't broke don't fix it guy. I refuse to get into a habit of replacing tech with newer tech and getting into a never-ending consumer cycle again.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If I had the same experiences with Amazon tablets as you have had, I too would draw the same conclusions.

But my experiences have been far, far different.

Amazon has since updated the HD 10.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
With more ads, I'm guessing. That bloat kills performance. It's what really kills my Fire Stick's performance. Kinda odd how the ads don't exist on the Paperwhites.

Fire Stick was laggy to begin with, but their 'update' killed it more. More reasons why I refuse to believe in updates. The day updates actually improved stuff died in 2013 with iOS 7, 2012 with Windows 8, and 2014 with Android 5.1, Lollipop.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I was debating selling my S6 lite tablet and getting the lenovo 10e for 125.

I don't use my tablet much and honestly I know nothing to do with it, gloried youtube and movie watcher for the most part.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I was debating selling my S6 lite tablet and getting the lenovo 10e for 125.

I don't use my tablet much and honestly I know nothing to do with it, gloried youtube and movie watcher for the most part.
I would avoid Lenovo tablets. They don't get updates.
Samsung S6 lite will get Android 12 next year.

Reactions: sracer

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
While I sorta like my Android tablets, I'm so on the fence for iPad. I've ordered an Apple TV. So I'm on my way to converting. I will keep my Windows PC until the wheels fall off. Hopefully after W10 no longer has support. I probably won't really need a computer by then.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
10e is a chromebook on sale for 119.

Google it looks tempting
I have the Lenovo Duet. ChromeOS tablets are a bit of a mess at the moment and I would not recommend it for anyone looking at one as a proper alternative to an Android tablet.

As a chromebook, the 10e will be very nice. But since the S6 Lite now has support for DeX, I wouldn't view going from the S6 Lite to the 10e as a step up.

Perhaps I'll consider them in the future. I consider lack of updates a feature.
I generally feel the same way but Lenovo's "lack of updates" is not limited to Android OS updates. It also includes, lack of updates to address issues with support for the hardware. The Android version of the Lenovo Yoga Book was an amazing device... the absolute best 2-in-1 that nobody ever used. Lenovo quickly dropped support for it and driver-related issues went unaddressed.

Reactions: cuzo

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Oh. I misunderstood then. Most people's #1 complaint about Android vs. iOS is the lack of updates, but ironically they're the first to fill up various Android forums with complaints about the changes. I keep telling them 'hey I told you so!' but they never listen. Others complain about performance issues from increased demands needed to run the later OS, and again, I mention that's probably why they only let you get 2 years of OS updates, but they fail to understand too.

I got leery about updates when they use terms such as 'major redesign!' or 'revamped UI' or 'the all-new [insert app name here]' after iOS 7 ruined the feel of iOS completely for me. Now, if someone ever releases an update with the headline 'the new skeuomorphism!' I'll check into it!

I don't even trust that a 'security' update won't change something or move the cheese around.

The Samsung Galaxy SII ran perfectly fine on its original OS, version 2.3. However its last supported version put it at 4.1, with a brand new TouchWiz UI, even incorporating parts of features from the Galaxy SIII, but the performance I heard was terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.