Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
People have said 'Android tablets are dead' since Android 4.0 was new. It's a popular meme, but has no basis in reality. If they were that unpopular, you'd only see the cheap ones from Walmart and not from Samsung. Samsung would know if tablets weren't selling and be the first to stop. Just because Google gave up on the Pixel tablet is no reason to believe that Android tablets are useless or will stop being manufactured.

It's the same myth as "tablets will replace laptops" or "the year of the Linux desktop" or "we'll have flying cars in 2020"

Reactions: Heat_Fan89

Appleinapot

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2021
Chrome OS and chromebooks are trash, they are slower than an iMac g4, and if you want to play games on it, you really need to go for the NZ $ 500 for at least the speed that a tablet from 5 years ago, they are just trash.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I have the Lenovo Duet. ChromeOS tablets are a bit of a mess at the moment and I would not recommend it for anyone looking at one as a proper alternative to an Android tablet.

As a chromebook, the 10e will be very nice. But since the S6 Lite now has support for DeX, I wouldn't view going from the S6 Lite to the 10e as a step up.

I generally feel the same way but Lenovo's "lack of updates" is not limited to Android OS updates. It also includes, lack of updates to address issues with support for the hardware. The Android version of the Lenovo Yoga Book was an amazing device... the absolute best 2-in-1 that nobody ever used. Lenovo quickly dropped support for it and driver-related issues went unaddressed.
I'm still learning the differences between ChromeOS and Dex but I'm using Dex on my Tablet and it's cool.

Still learning it.

But alot of browsers don't open Full screen, only chrome and samsung does.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Samsung seems to be leading in the Android tablet game. However OneUI still ain't got nothing on iOS scrolling. Just using the iPad while my Tab S3 is charging made a huge difference. Why can't Android scroll like iOS or have smooth animations? To this day you still get stutters or rough scrolling. Even on Android 10/11.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Samsung seems to be leading in the Android tablet game. However OneUI still ain't got nothing on iOS scrolling. Just using the iPad while my Tab S3 is charging made a huge difference. Why can't Android scroll like iOS or have smooth animations? To this day you still get stutters or rough scrolling. Even on Android 10/11.
From the YT reviews i've seen that's no longer a problem with the S7 series as they are both running at 120Hz. Have you seen that with the S7?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Haven't got an S7 nor am I planning on it. I do have an S20 FE 5G which has 120Hz and it's as close as you can get to iOS smoothness on Android. But I think me having totally de-Googled it had more to do with it than the 120Hz refresh rate (Google Play Services is a horrid waste of resources on Android and competes often with the redundant Samsung software)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
From the YT reviews i've seen that's no longer a problem with the S7 series as they are both running at 120Hz. Have you seen that with the S7?
I do not think its that often users get mislead as Samsung scroll speed is not dampened like IOS it's this affect that makes IOS look smooth

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Wow, I just picked up a crazy deal from Samsung during their Black Friday Event. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 12.4" Mystic Blue 128GB for $349 which includes a free pair of Galaxy Buds 2. They gave me $350 trade in for my 9.7" iPad. Now i'm kicking myself because I sent in my OG iPad Air which I could have used for this trade.

So i'm trading in my 6th Gen iPad as part of the trade.
Such a great deal. I wish we could get deals like this in the U.K.

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
I cancelled that order and got the S7+ 256GB with a free pair of Galaxy Buds 2 for $379 plus tax and instead, used my Galaxy Tab S2 as a trade in for $350. Samsung at the time was giving $350 trade in for every tablet listed for US customers.

did you buy it directly from Samsung or is this offer available for US customers elsewhere?
If yes, you bought from Samsung directly, did you also buy the S2 previously from them?
Thanks.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
did you buy it directly from Samsung or is this offer available for US customers elsewhere?
If yes, you bought from Samsung directly, did you also buy the S2 previously from them?
Thanks.
Yes, I saw this offer on the US Samsung website on Nov 18th. I ordered it an received it o the 23rd. I purchased my Galaxy Tab S2 from Amazon.

Reactions: sracer and mrkapqa

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
One advantage the iPad Pro has over the Galaxy Tab S7/S7 Plus is the aspect ratio. The Galaxy Tab S7 series are made to be used in landscape not portrait as the S7 series has a 16:10 aspect ratio. In landscape mode it shines as a tablet because It's wide and for a sports nut like me who's watching live scores on CBSSports.com it gives me all the information I need with room to spare.

If someone wants to use it as a laptop with DEX then it doesn't have as much screen height. There's a trade off because with the iPads you get borders on the top and bottom of the screen when watching videos or movies where that's not a problem with the S7 Series. It's rather odd that Samsung has so copied Apple over the years in their designs that they decided not to go with Apple's 5:4 aspect ratio but that's just nit picking. As far as looks, build quality, construction, materials (all aluminum) and design it ranks up there with Apple's best tablets.

Reactions: sracer

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think i will likely pick up the s8 ultra when it is out and have my ipad as my tablet. With dex you can certainly make the Samsung tabs a laptop type replacement. When you use pop up windows with dex it will work very well. Just hope they improve the keyboard. Be good if they had backlit.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The Samsung tab S7/7+ tablets are premium and are just as good as the latest generation iPad Pro’s. The M1 chip is wasted as there is still nothing to take advantage of it software wise.
I wouldn't say there's nothing... Apple has lifted RAM limits for developers to take advantage of the M1 chip, some developers have taken advantage of it. Granted, there might not be any substantial benefits thus far... but the M1 chip isn't totally wasted.

I think i will likely pick up the s8 ultra when it is out and have my ipad as my tablet. With dex you can certainly make the Samsung tabs a laptop type replacement. When you use pop up windows with dex it will work very well. Just hope they improve the keyboard. Be good if they had backlit.
Instead of picking up a S8 Ultra to use with Dex, I'd prefer buying a portable monitor to use with a Galaxy phone. I been waiting for a good deal on a 1440p monitor.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Now that I have an iPad, Android devices are inferior. I guess to me, they are dead.
iPad OS is not perfect and many things are challenging that would not be so hard in Android.
My complete experience with the iPad and many apps that work better means I won't go back to Android.
That won't stop anyone from choosing what works best for them and Android is kinda too big to fail.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, I saw this offer on the US Samsung website on Nov 18th. I ordered it an received it o the 23rd. I purchased my Galaxy Tab S2 from Amazon.
Those Samsung site sales at this time of the year are irresistible. That's one reason why I deliberately did NOT visit the site this past week. This time last year I picked up a Tab S6 and accessories at blow-out clearance prices. The S6 is still amazing and I don't need that kind of stress in my life.
rotflmao.gif

Reactions: SteveJUAE

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
How "bad" are those Samsung OLED Panels in terms of EyeStraining? Never used one for longer time yet, so i am wondering if the PWM dimming is such an issue, because overall LED screens tend to make my eyes more tired, i find.
Apparently the S7+ uses DC Dimming and should be stable over 20percent brightness according to notebookcheck; sadly, even the fancy new technology far from perfect it seems.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Those Samsung site sales at this time of the year are irresistible. That's one reason why I deliberately did NOT visit the site this past week. This time last year I picked up a Tab S6 and accessories at blow-out clearance prices. The S6 is still amazing and I don't need that kind of stress in my life.
View attachment 1921270
Yeah I know what you mean. I couldn't say no to a $900 tablet and $200 earbuds for $376.
How "bad" are those Samsung OLED Panels in terms of EyeStraining? Never used one for longer time yet, so i am wondering if the PWM dimming is such an issue, because overall LED screens tend to make my eyes more tired, i find.
Apparently the S7+ uses DC Dimming and should be stable over 20percent brightness according to notebookcheck; sadly, even the fancy new technology far from perfect it seems.
I don't suffer from that so I am not qualfied to comment on the problem.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yes you can try and avoid the lower PWM more so by staying above 20% brightness on the S7's however you cant so easily avoid the 15x slower colour refresh rate on the IPAD Mini LEDs (hence the blooming and ghosting) which is poor for an entertainment platform. So I agree fancy new tech is far from perfect

These mini LED panels are not about producing something better than OLED just something cheaper

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Samsung's OLEDs have gotten insanely better since the old days. Now, if you're from the era of the Galaxy SII and O.G. Note, yeah, you can see how bad PWM was by filming the screen of one of those phones--it flickered like a CRT on film!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
There are so many things I like about the S7+. I obviously like the size but the Samsung keyboard I find is even better than GBoard. It has a delete key as well as a backspace key. It uses GBoard's long press multi function keys.

The real standout is the amazing screen, the super fast response and the performance of the tablet. While Samsung's internet browser gets high marks, Firefox is just pretty slick with it's many add-ons. My favorite is the dark screen add-on. I can't believe I scored this with a free pair of Galaxy Buds 2 for $376 during Samsungs BF deal.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
There are so many things I like about the S7+. I obviously like the size but the Samsung keyboard I find is even better than GBoard. It has a delete key as well as a backspace key. It uses GBoard's long press multi function keys.
Samsung Keyboard doesn’t get the praise as much as GBoard, but I don’t have a problem with it. I can customize the Samsung Keyboard with ThemePark and Good Lock adds more functionality to it. I use the Split setting for my usage and as far I know… GBoard doesn’t have that option.

The real standout is the amazing screen, the super fast response and the performance of the tablet. While Samsung's internet browser gets high marks, Firefox is just pretty slick with it's many add-ons. My favorite is the dark screen add-on. I can't believe I scored this with a free pair of Galaxy Buds 2 for $376 during Samsungs BF deal.
I’ve seen reviews of the S7+… its an amazing product, it ticks all the boxes except it doesn’t come with the App Store which brings a load of quality tablet apps. But I never tried using Firefox on my Fold, I might give that a go.. but Samsung Browser has dark mode, no?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
But I never tried using Firefox on my Fold, I might give that a go.. but Samsung Browser has dark mode, no?
It does but to me it's not as well implemented as the Firefox add-on called dark reader. Maybe it's just me but dark mode in their web browser seems more like a dark graphite gray than deep black whereas the Firefox add-on looks more black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.