Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Don't ask who is the last of the Mohicans because the chances are it is you.

Only because US no longer has a price list for the scalps of the men, women and children does not mean that the underlying philosophy all of a sudden went away. It continues to manifest itself by taking different shapes and forms.
Not to get too off topic. Canada is even worse with its Residential School systems for Indian Children (now called first peoples). Thousands of buried children in unmarked graves near these schools. So I can’t be too critical of other nations. Criticize a nation at some international event and they bring up the “genicide” of the American Indian. You respond: Genocide? Then they talk about the “concentration camps” we have them in and you reply: Those aren’t concentration camps, we call them “reservations”. They just nod sarcastically.

Japanese internment during WW2 in concentration camps here in Canada: My best friend’s grandfather (who I knew) wasn’t even Japanese, he was Chinese and nevertheless thrown into an internment camp; his business and home given away literally to the usual suspects. The government waited until they were all dead and denied their children fair monetary retribution, but instead gave an apology. If interested in the States, google George Takei (Sulu from Star Trek) and see what he had to say about this as a kid in the internment camps - very illuminating.

In some talks he gets into the ugly political side of it all, but I’ll leave that alone as I’m a Canadian and we have our own ugliness.

Anyway back to this topic. No nation is pure or good as well as no nation is bad or evil. I’m not here to bash nations. All I am saying is that Tim Cook knew what he was doing when he courted China for internal sales and manufacturing, and if problems arise that we may find repugnant, then he and Apple Inc. have to wear it. Simple as that.

Also, in political discussions I’ve found that the staunch proponents of one side or another are not enemies to each other. In fact I have found both on either issue to have some level of integrity and they always come through when the chips are down. Just saying…

Reactions: decafjava

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
You do realize regardless of race, they are all American citizens I'm talking about, right? By Black, I meant Black American, by Asian, I meant Asian American, and so forth.

The problem is, American citizens are not equal under the citizenship, some races are given preferencial treatment (mostly Black students) at the expense of other races (mostly Asian students). This is a case of eliminating equal opportunity to force an equal outcome while denying and discounting the merit and the sacrifices the injured party (Asian students and their parents) has demonstrated. Also, it's far easier for girls to get in to STEM than boys. That's even more unfair. They don't make it easier for men to get into nurcing school and other girlie fields, do they?

BTW, I'm Canadian. I have no dog in this fight, but it's kinda the same here too. I'm rather tied of this double standard and injustice.

P.S. You mentioned China has changed. Yes, more assertive and dictatorial. I believe it has nothing to do with any kinds of ideology or -ism, it's pragmatic. I think regular Chinese people are kind are mostly have a rather positive view of the US. They just want to live their lives.
WHAT are you going on about!? I tell you and show you the riots in China and the people being locked as prisoners by the hazmat military, and you’re writing a book on why affirmative action is wrong!

I agree with you affirmative action is bad, who cares???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DrJR

DrJR

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2017
WHAT are you going on about!? I tell you and show you the riots in China and the people being locked as prisoners by the hazmat military, and you’re writing a book on why affirmative action is wrong!

Forget that guy, now I'm intrigued after I saw "iMac G3" and this nice list of vintage Apple devices listed. LOL. I remember the eMac! I had the "lamp" iMac at one point. First Mac laptop was Titanium G4. I'm old.

• Love
Reactions: bwillwall

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
You realize the US is a result of Europeans coming to another landmass and forcibly relocating and killing the peoples who lived there. Americans talk about freedom when they are the worst genociders of all
Nobody cares lmao

The US is not “the worst genociders of all”. You know nothing of China.

Nobody cares what nations did hundreds of years ago to judge them TODAY. America is a story of improvement, succes, and freedom and rights for all.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
You agree affirmative action is “evil” then?

It hurts hard-working Asian students and frugal Asian parents investing heavily in their kids’ education at a great cost to their daily lives for decades.

It benefits Black and Brown people with lesser merit, and it opens more loopholes for White people with connections and legacy to game the admission system.

Education is a basic human right, but some people are more equal than others, aren’t they?

As you probably are aware, race conscious admissions is before SCOTUS.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Well, you know what I mean, so there is no need to explain.
Not 100%. Was hoping you’d confirm it. That’s why I am asking. You want the benefit of saying something by implication but won’t say it explicitly because it exposes personal ugliness. Is that it?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016

I care. It’s hypercritical to ignore the structural injustices here, look the other way and say “who cares???,” while being angry about the injustices in China.

Aside from that, it’s a direct response to the following comment.

Also any system, economic or otherwise, that forcibly uplifts any group at the cost of individual liberty is “evil”

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
As you probably are aware, race conscious admissions is before SCOTUS.

Yes, but this made it easier to justify as something “positive.” The political wind of racial equality and the US joining the international human rights accord or something forced their hands. They had to whitewash this wrong doing, making it, legitimate.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
So a team from Apple comes in and they offer the new recruits 1,400 bucks to settle and leave if they want. Most leave (about 20,000) - so - how do we fill all those spots?

Chinese State Authorities recently announced that Foxconn would need about 100,000 more workers, and were also asking retired “military personnel” to take on the roles.

Ah, are we really going there Apple?????

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
So a team from Apple comes in and they offer the new recruits 1,400 bucks to settle and leave if they want. Most leave (about 20,000) - so - how do we fill all those spots?

1. I’d like to read more about this Apple Team that went in and the settlement made with the disgruntled employees. Where did you get the information?

2. We? Maybe we can hire some Twitter employees.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
You can start here:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/11/25/foxconn-paid-20000-rioting-workers-to-leave-the-company

Surprised it’s not here also. But different places have different standards before they run with a story. This type of stuff is not out of the ordinary in that part of the world. But it is for first world tech companies.

Those “retired military personnel” could be wanted just for assembling units - or…. You figure it out…

Hint to Apple: India is looking mighty good for future assembly…

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
You can start here:

Thanks. William Gallagher at Apple Insider is a good guy. His article is the only one I’ve read (at least) who sneaked in that piece of info. Btw - an official with the Communist Party said the workers would be paid so it’s unclear what the Apple team did.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
It's interesting. This is the largest amount of unrest in China in a while. Not that I think they're anywhere near overthrowing Xi Jinping, but it's nice to see dissent there. "Zero COVID" is a moronic, reality-denying policy.

Reactions: decafjava

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Enough is enough. Apple needs to put their money where their mouth is and perform like they care about human rights and privacy, not just in some cute little ad or one liner.

Part of Tim Cook legacy at apple

Profit at all cost.

Apple can afford to give away 5% margin and still make boatload of money.

When are people going to realize it’s just a show to public?

No one really cared about those workers.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014

Chinese State Authorities recently announced that Foxconn would need about 100,000 more workers, and were also asking retired “military personnel” to take on the roles.

Ah, are we really going there Apple?????

This has been going on since day one in China.

How would you launch Chengdu factory in 90 days from leveling a 100k people village and fully ramped iPad 2 line.

Chinese government need Apple to fix unemployment problems for the poor villagers.

Who cares about human rights? Other than carefully managed corporate image

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Part of Tim Cook legacy at apple
Yup.
Profit at all cost.
Yup again.
Apple can afford to give away 5% margin and still make boatload of money.
Why should they? To appease some internet posters whose opinion is largely immaterial?
When are people going to realize it’s just a show to public?
There is no show. Imo, a small universe of people believe it’s a show.
No one really cared about those workers.
I don’t know why this would even be said.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krispykrme

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Yup.

Yup again.

Why should they? To appease some internet posters whose opinion is largely immaterial?

There is no show. Imo, a small universe of people believe it’s a show.

I don’t know why this would even be said.

Again- you aren’t part of anything remotely related to Apple.

Apple spend millions every single year to have supplier social responsibility audit. It has a dedicated team to perform that.

In reality it’s just for show to shareholder and public that its “socially responsible”.

Underneath the emperor clothes it’s bad. As of today students are forced into assembling iPhones under pretense of internship.

That is Tim Cook legacy of efficient operation - which Foxconn and Chinese government are extremely good into forcing people to work (like currently the 100k retired military worker needed at iPhone factory).

You have no clue.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Yes it certainly can. Regulated or not. Apple Supplier Responsbility https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/ details a lot of this. Here in the US, laws are still broken in factories that are supposedly regulated. Foxconn has to agree to Apples' supplier responsibility.

Fluff

All of the apple CM partner has been caught using child labor several times.

Did any of them suffer any consequences?

This isn’t first riot in Foxconn. This also happened at scale in 2013.

Same thing happened not long ago in India too.

I can never understand why you have the need to constantly slap yourself in the face?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.