Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
What actually do you think happened there vs what actually happened there? In a few bullet points… not some conspiracy laden conjecture.

Leaving China is not an option for years to come as they make a large portion of the earths consumer goods.
I’m in my 60s so “years to come” come rather fast. 🤣

Anyway I remember the idea of strategic materials that could not be relied upon by countries diametrically opposed to our values. Do that and you see what happens to fuel in Europe and iPhones in the Western World. I would equate smartphones as essential enough to call them “strategic material”. Our world now runs on those things now.

Apple put profits ahead of idealism - and - I’m sure Tim has rethought those decisions many times and now would have done things differently - in my personal opinion, if he could do things over. He is one year younger than me so he probably thinks like me also.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m in my 60s so “years to come” come rather fast. 🤣

Anyway I remember the idea of strategic materials that could not be relied upon by countries diametrically opposed to our values. Do that and you see what happens to fuel in Europe and iPhones in the Western World. I would equate smartphones as essential enough to call them “strategic material”. Our world now runs on those things now.

Apple put profits ahead of idealism - and - I’m sure Tim has rethought those decisions many times and now would have done things differently - in my personal opinion, if he could do things over. He is one year younger than me so he probably thinks like me also.
Cell phones and cellular technology are strategic. A laptop and a hotspot provides better support but not the convenience of smartphones. Anyway we all have our arguments.

Apple is running a business and Foxconn in China seems as if it has the ability to scale up and down rapidly. Hence why they are strategic partner.

And yes, business comes before peace, love and rock and roll - which is what I equate to “idealism”.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Cell phones and cellular technology are strategic. A laptop and a hotspot provides better support but not the convenience of smartphones. Anyway we all have our arguments.

Apple is running a business and Foxconn in China seems as if it has the ability to scale up and down rapidly. Hence why they are strategic partner.

And yes, business comes before peace, love and rock and roll - which is what I equate to “idealism”.
Tim would remember this:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Me too. But would you happily pay an extra $1500 for a US-made iPhone? I, for one, am not sure I would.
To think that all the savings resulted from having the production in China amount to a mere $100 is a bit naive, I'm afraid. Nobody would go through all the hassle just for that.

Where are you coming up with your extra $1,500 figure? The cost of having iPhones assembled in the U.S. wouldn't be anywhere near $1,500 more per unit.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Has anyone given any thought, I wonder, to how those people working for Apple over there feel about it? If Apple withdrew from China completely, would they be happy? Would their lives improve?
I have a hunch that quite the opposite would be true.
But virtue-signalling rhetoric seems to be quite fashionable these days. Free the slaves, they shout, while posting on the internet on the very devices that those slaves have made. :rolleyes:

Those Foxconn workers wouldn't be happy but neither would Foxconn in losing Apple's business. In that sense, Apple has influence if they choose to use it and can make certain demands (yes, at a price/cost) regarding factory working conditions. Do we know what, if any, requirements Apple has made over the years regarding the Foxconn factory?

China's zero COVID policy does complicate the situation, though.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I remember:
- captain jack mccarthy
- president Kennedy assassination
- wooden trains on the NYC subway system

But this has nothing to do with that.
Everything…

If as you say, China produces so much we must rely on it - now. What happens to that production if - as a hypothetical - China has to side with a nation we have issues with?

This isn’t rocket science…

Reactions: ProfessionalFan

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Sadly, virtue signalling is part of the world we live in today, whether we like it or not. I hate it with a passion and do my best to avoid it and to be honest in everything I do or say, but I can understand why a big company like Apple cannot afford this luxury.
Just imagine the hate they would get if they were open and honest about it. What they're getting now would be infinitesimal by comparison.

I can understand why companies needs to do this.

I am more amused by some people on the threads that deliberately white washing things.

Like i7guy and abazigal- who makes blind statement without fact.

That was main purpose of my response. Why pushing company propaganda?

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
What actually do you think happened there vs what actually happened there? In a few bullet points… not some conspiracy laden conjecture.

Leaving China is not an option for years to come as they make a large portion of the earths consumer goods.

Again you don't know anything

Apple already made move to get out of China.

Only China internal demand will stay.

QSMC has already quietly sold more than half of its Shanghai factory and closed off its Apple Watch factory in

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I can understand why companies needs to do this.

I am more amused by some people on the threads that deliberately white washing things.

Like i7guy and abazigal- who makes blind statement without fact.

That was main purpose of my response. Why pushing company propaganda?
I agree, I’d like to see some facts as well. We have 13 pages of opinion with one article laying out the premise.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
I agree, I’d like to see some facts as well. We have 13 pages of opinion with one article laying out the premise.
Why continue to lie?

You have 5 plus links on actual news article on riot in India (Wistron).

You also have links for at least 3 more mass protest prior to covid and none Foxconn.

You also have 5 plus link on child labor violation, forcing students under pretense of internship?

You simply refuse to look into it.

The common factor is every single time it’s just hand slap. Nothing really happens.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Citation please?

Slap loud and clear

This was closure and disposal of watch factory in China.

Move to Hanoi

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
I completely agree.
But since we cannot seem to convince Apple's detractors that this has nothing to do with Apple (some people are indeed bent on blaming Apple for everything no matter what), I thought I'd at least address the "virtue signalling" accusation.

The problem is that none of you guys have direct knowledge even with actual news reports and cited violation.

Apple can and have influence on who they work with. The problem is that they simply put profit first.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why continue to lie?

You have 5 plus links on actual news article on riot in India (Wistron).

You also have links for at least 3 more mass protest prior to covid and none Foxconn.

You also have 5 plus link on child labor violation, forcing students under pretense of internship?

You simply refuse to look into it.

The common factor is every single time it’s just hand slap. Nothing really happens.
Do you have any proof these things are happening now. In November of 2022? Or are you going keep parroting what happened years ago. Are you going to continue to blame apple for what is clearly Foxconn’s responsibility? Why be disingenuous?

The common factor is apple owns no manufacturing facilities. The suppliers are responsible for their own code of ethics.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Slap loud and clear

This was closure and disposal of watch factory in China.

Move to Hanoi

Apple owns no manufacturing real estate in China. In fact apple doesn’t own any manufacturing plants.

I think what you believe may be your opinion of what is happening and not the objective truth.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
It’s not apples factory. It’s Foxconn’s. Apple has a manufacturing contract with Foxconn. And Foxconn according to contract has a responsibility to live up to their supplier responsibly agreement.

It’s not about profits and apple is under no obligation to throw money where they are not contractually responsible for.

This profits before all else is just a meme at this point in time.

And further in that part of China it seems there is a bit of unrest. It’s not only Foxconn.

You are so wrong.

While Apple doesn’t technically run the factory (Foxconn and local government does). Every single detail within the factory are under direct Apple supervision. Foxconn is literally only providing labor, space, and some engineering support.

But production lines, jigs, process….. is all Apple.

Stop hiding behind “contract”

At end of the day- per Apple own supplier responsibility policy. Apple needs to own that.

Lastly- Steve job gave up day to day operation duty in early 2011

So how did he become responsible for factory protests in 2013, 2017, 2020, 2021, and this year at Foxconn and other CM in China.

How did job influence bad labor conditions at India in 2020 and 2021?

Ultimately those factories exists for Apple.

• Haha

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Do you have any proof these things are happening now. In November of 2022? Or are you going keep parroting what happened years ago. Are you going to continue to blame apple for what is clearly Foxconn’s responsibility? Why be disingenuous?

The common factor is apple owns no manufacturing facilities. The suppliers are responsible for their own code of ethics.

Don’t give me that BS.

By your own logic- why would Apple needs supplier ethics team? Why would apple needs to publish supplier responsibility?

After all per your Logic- apple has contract and doesn’t own anything- or make anything.

Right?

Who is being disingenuous here?

Who ultimately pay the bills? Ain’t Foxconn, ain’t Wistron, ain’t Luxshare, ain’t QSMC?

• Angry

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014

Post 291

I already answered you on supplier ethics. The poor Logic you have

• Haha

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Apple owns no manufacturing real estate in China. In fact apple doesn’t own any manufacturing plants.

I think what you believe may be your opinion of what is happening and not the objective truth.
Do you have problem with Logic?

You are the one claiming that Apple can’t move away from China asked for citation.

I just gave you citation that QSMC closed Changshu and disposed that location (which was sole location for Apple Watch- I was there helping that factory launch).

And proved that it has went to Hanoi.

Why lie? Who is not being objective here?

Apple has direct influence on where its CM goes. Not the other way around.

• Angry

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Don’t give me that BS.

By your own logic- why would Apple needs supplier ethics team? Why would apple needs to publish supplier responsibility?

After all per your Logic- apple has contract and doesn’t own anything- or make anything.

Right?

Who is being disingenuous here?

Who ultimately pay the bills? Ain’t Foxconn, ain’t Wistron, ain’t Luxshare, ain’t QSMC?

Do you have problem with Logic?

You are the one claiming that Apple can’t move away from China asked for citation.

I just gave you citation that QSMC closed Changshu and disposed that location (which was sole location for Apple Watch- I was there helping that factory launch).

And proved that it has went to Hanoi.

Why lie? Who is not being objective here?

Apple has direct influence on where its CM goes. Not the other way around.
Bottom line, your posts are going around in circles. So I’ll reiterate. Apple owns no manufacturing plants. Suppliers are responsible for a code of ethics. Do you have any proof in November of 2022 there are violations? No you don’t. You can only cite some things going back 10 years.

Apple cannot leave China. The biggest iPhone production plant is there. Period.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Bottom line, your posts are going around in circles. So I’ll reiterate. Apple owns no manufacturing plants. Suppliers are responsible for a code of ethics. Do you have any proof in November of 2022 there are violations? No you don’t. You can only cite some things going back 10 years.

It’s in post 291- why lie

iPhone is also being moved- guess where 15 will come from? This is first time Apple will attempt to simultaneously ramp in 2 countries. (I know for fact and also reported by Kuo Ming chi)

Who is going around in circle?

Answer the question
1. Why does apple still use 16 year old student in Zhengzhou under internship as of November 2022?

2. Who ultimately pays the bill?

3. Whom does factory ultimately manufacture product for?

India is already making iPhones. Thailand I believe could be next site.

Stop drinking coolaid.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014

Now it’s your turn to cite why Apple can’t leave China.

Come on.

The problem is you can’t. Because iPhones is already being made in India.

It’s just matter of time, much sooner than you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.