Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Just an update for anybody wondering, I've now moved on to one single device to do everything... a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (what a mouthful!). Using DeX as a desktop environment and hooking it into a monitor or using it on my work PC during the day alongside being productive at work. As I don't do any heavy duty computing anymore outside of work, just organising, planning, photographing and consuming content, it's working a treat. I started a dedicated threat on here where I'll be posting updates and answering any questions anybody here has abou it.

Reactions: canesalato

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
1. Its not basically insecure, but you do need to ensure that you have the system configured. Basic tools available also permits an increased level of security.

2. If people want a fisher price interface, then yes use mac os :p Seriously, what the windows UI/UX has wrong is lack of constancy, what it get's right is configuration and customization. Tools from stardock highlight the flexibility and freedom that macOS lacks.

3. I'd say the ease of scanning your home network, is a lack of knowledge on your part, not an inherent flaw in windows

4. No argument, but in all truthfulness, the need to go into the registry is nearly non-existent and MS has done a lot to minimize any possible registry issues. I maintain desktops and windows servers and the need to make a change in the registry is a rarity.

I actually prefer to use windows, I find the amount of control you have in working with the OS superior to that of macOS. while Linux offers greater control, it lacks apps. I think you're confusing preference with objectivity, Is Windows perfect, no far from it. Is macOS, or Linux perfect? Nope they have their own issues, both with bugs and design choices.

Get the best tool that fits your preferences and needs, one platform is not inherently weaker then the other.

1. Windows is basically and fundamentally insecure
    1. Updates can be installed from any computer purporting to be a Microsoft Update server without user intervention. There are reports on this forum about Windows updates happening in the middle of the day, rebooting computers while people are working. The fact that up till now all updates have come from a genuine MS server doesn't negate this argument. Every other OS insists that you put in an Admin password before any updates proceed.
    2. You can edit the registry without an Admin password. Really????
  2. There are very simple interfaces, like Elementary OS's Pantheon. There are medium complexity interfaces like MacOS and Gnome Mate. And there are complex, inconsistant interfaces like Windows. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
  3. I run a mixed network with Apple, Linux and Windows devices. In macOS and Linux I can bring up the Network utility and see all my SMB and AFP shares. In Windows I bring up the Network utility and I can see Diddly-Squat (which happens to be the neighbor's unsecured Wi-Fi router...) If I want my Windows machine to see my local shares I need to set up Active Directory.
  4. Registry. I was talking about it's ancient, insecure design. It is monolithic, it's design goes back to the earliest days of Windows in the 1980s and hasn't been seriously updated since. Windows doesn't even keep a checksum of the Registry so it doesn't know when it has been changed. I do edit the registry when I need to. The very size of it scares me. It has grown so much in the past two decades. Under Win 95 it used to take a few seconds to search through the registry on what we would now think of as a very slow machine. Under Win 10, it takes many seconds on reasonablly fast machines. In the motor car world it would be the equivalent of still running on single-throat naturally aspirated carburettors.
Overall, macOS and Linux provide better performance (boot up faster, perform complex functions faster, install and update faster) and are fundamentally more secure than Windows. It's not a matter of preference. It's a matter of getting things done more efficiently.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Even though I agree with @maflynn a lot, @DaveFromCampbelltown is right here. Windows is insecure. And most of it's lack of security comes from backwards compatibility.

But I won't go into argument with anyone here. Windows is an OS. Just like macos or linux. Just use the tool provided, and that's it.

But I will touch on registry. Registry is basically a database for Windows. It tracks app settings, desktop settings (like wallpapers), to more complex things. Seems simple enough.

Problem is, that is bad design. Terrible. That makes registry an easy single point of failure. No other OS does that, or has even tried to come up with anything reassembling registry. And for a good reason. If you somehow break registry, everything is broken.

But Microsoft can't cut ties to that ancient decision. Doing so will break backwards compatibility. And Windows will use all apps. But by not doing so, they can't move forward, and they are severely lacking behind apple and linux.

If ARM takes over, maybe than MS will finally cut the cord. That remains to be seen.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Everything you folks say is reasonable on paper. In practice, however, I had more frequent (and serious) bugs and slowdowns in Mac OS machines than Windows Machine, doing comparable work flows. The hardware was also the same or comparable and MacBooks have much faster SSDs. Infact in my experience, Windows has been faster than MacOS (but Macs have smoother, better animations).
I never touch the registry, for what I care, they could make it read-only. Requiring a password for users to edit would be a good idea, I agree.
iCloud lost my data several times, Onedrive has never. My point is: it is not as simple as saying "Windows has the register (etc.), so it's worse"

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Just an update for anybody wondering, I've now moved on to one single device to do everything... a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (what a mouthful!). Using DeX as a desktop environment and hooking it into a monitor or using it on my work PC during the day alongside being productive at work. As I don't do any heavy duty computing anymore outside of work, just organising, planning, photographing and consuming content, it's working a treat. I started a dedicated threat on here where I'll be posting updates and answering any questions anybody here has abou it.
wow! That's a very particular setup. Would love to hear more =)
Anything that you found slow, or limiting?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
iCloud lost my data several times, Onedrive has never. My point is: it is not as simple as saying "Windows has the register (etc.), so it's worse"

I tend to believe you. Apple has by far the worst services of all tech giants. iCloud has regular drops in service, while I never had issue with google or microsoft services. But those have nothing to do with the OS :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Overall, macOS and Linux provide better performance (boot up faster, perform complex functions faster, install and update faster) and are fundamentally more secure than Windows. It's not a matter of preference. It's a matter of getting things done more efficiently.
I agree it is a matter of efficiently and that's why I changed to windows. You continue to confuse your opinion and personal preference as fact. Ok then, lets have more facts, can macOS run 32 bit apps? Wasn't there a brouhaha where apps were phoning home to apple servers in the name of "privacy protections"? Can you easily change how the UI behaves with some utilities? Finder is absolutely horrible working with files/directories is an exercise in frustation.

You find yourself more efficient with macOS, that's great but doesn't mean EVERYONE will. One size does not fit all,

I like windows, something you said that people don't do, I have apps that either don't run on macOS, or run very poorly. I have access to games that is orders of magnatudes better then on macOS. An operating system's job is to run programs, and windows has access to more, and in general run better then on macOS (the ones I use). Just ask anyone using Lightroom and how poorly it executes on a Mac compared to a PC.

As I already stated, you pick the best platform that meets your needs. On other note, running macOS isn't all rainbows and unicorns, I've had to reset my Macs because an update completely borked my filesystem (fusion + File Vault), and I had to reformat and reinstall from a backup.

This thread is about someone leaving the Apple platform, and it seems someone pissed in your cheerios because you had to interject how horrible windows is and no one in their right mind would want to run windows.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I tend to believe you. Apple has by far the worst services of all tech giants. iCloud has regular drops in service, while I never had issue with google or microsoft services. But those have nothing to do with the OS :)
You are right, but in the end Cloud services are more and more integrated into the experience. I guess what I want to say is that they are an important part of the experience and that the whole experience matters to me. I always thought that MacOS is the better OS, at a fundamental technical level.

And I still think so. Yet, Macs, MacOS, and the Mac ecosystem have become increasingly frustating to me. So much that I felt "forced" to look for other alternatives, after almost 20 years of being exclusively an Apple user.
Windows is ok. I don't hate it, I don't love it like I used to love MacOS, but it does not get in my way and works well. For the most part, I like it.

Of course, I will consider switching back to MacOS in the future if I find it useful. I am not "married" to any OS or ecosystem anymore, so switching is easy. :)

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Windows has been faster than MacOS (but Macs have smoother, better animations).

Personally, I don't find one to be faster than the other, neither have I lost any data on either. But experiences vary.

Just got the new M1 Mac Mini and even I am impressed with how crazy the performance is, comparing that to my previous 2018 Mac Mini, not going to say it is faster/better than my PC performance-wise, it's not. But for a small form factor device, Apple has actually hit it out of the park as an entry-level device.

Having said that though, there are issues as always with software that mean waiting on patches.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
And I still think so. Yet, Macs, MacOS, and the Mac ecosystem have become increasingly frustating to me. So much that I felt "forced" to look for other alternatives, after almost 20 years of being exclusively an Apple user.

Actually, I'm not defending Mac OS. At all.
I moved away from MacOS almost 2 years ago. And looking at Apples stance on privacy, I'm not returning any time soon. Trust is hard to gain, but really easy to lose. And to top it all of with faulty keyboards, complete gimmicks (touchbar), lack of ports, thermals... Well, the list goes on and on. I guess with M1 they sorted most of those things, but by now, I really don't even care :)

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Personally, I don't find one to be faster than the other, neither have I lost any data on either. But experiences vary.

Just got the new M1 Mac Mini and even I am impressed with how crazy the performance is, comparing that to my previous 2018 Mac Mini, not going to say it is faster/better than my PC performance-wise, it's not. But for a small form factor device, Apple has actually hit it out of the park as an entry-level device.

Having said that though, there are issues as always with software that mean waiting on patches.

Yes, new hardware is an amazing achievement. But I am curious about software bugs. The first reviews made the software implementation seem almost perfect. I tend not to trust too much Gruber, Stern, Ritchie etc, they don't say flat-out lies but they tend to be a little too positive than what I find to be fair. Of course, now that M1 Macs are in the hands of real people we are hearing about issues and several apps seem to have problems with Rosetta. What kind of issues are you experiencing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maflynn and c0ppo

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
What kind of issues are you experiencing?

Rosetta has been great actually, really not noticing any issues, performance or otherwise with anything running through it.

Issues running widescreen display are widely reported, although I have fixed mine and now ok.
Bluetooth disconnects, but again I have found a way to sort that today.
Some UI elements not displaying correctly or miss-aligned on my screen.
Been getting some odd errors when using the terminal.

Nothing major and I am giving Apple a pass only in so much that this is 1st gen stuff that you often don't encounter until users are doing things on your final device.

Overall I am impressed after all the disappointment of recent years. I even spent an hour playing my only game of World of Warcraft, on high settings, a 3440x1440 monitor and getting 55 fps. Something that just wouldn't be possible on any previous device without a dGPU, I could only play on PC. And the Mini barely got warm with no fan noise. Pretty incredible, again for such a small form factor.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Rosetta has been great actually, really not noticing any issues, performance or otherwise with anything running through it.

Issues running widescreen display are widely reported, although I have fixed mine and now ok.
Bluetooth disconnects, but again I have found a way to sort that today.
Some UI elements not displaying correctly or miss-aligned on my screen.
Been getting some odd errors when using the terminal.

Nothing major and I am giving Apple a pass only in so much that this is 1st gen stuff that you often don't encounter until users are doing things on your final device.

Overall I am impressed after all the disappointment of recent years. I even spent an hour playing my only game of World of Warcraft, on high settings, a 3440x1440 monitor and getting 55 fps. Something that just wouldn't be possible on any previous device without a dGPU, I could only play on PC. And the Mini barely got warm with no fan noise. Pretty incredible, again for such a small form factor.
ARM Macs are indeed amazing

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
wow! That's a very particular setup. Would love to hear more =)
There's a full thread I posted, click my name and look for it. I've been updating people there on DeX in particular. So far all good! NOT perfect though

Anything that you found slow, or limiting?

Just a LOT to explore on Android tbh , I've been on the iPhone since the 3G days so I suppose it's not worse it's just 'different'. I would still recommend iPhones to people I know who don't care too much about their tech, way simpler tbh. But people like us on here aren't afraid to get stuck into high-tech and complexity I guess

DMike

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
I'm defecting too.

I was really looking forward to the Apple Silicon announcement as I like the idea of going back to the PowerPC days when Apple was making unique hardware. Plus a return to RISC which has a long history in powerful workstations seemed like a good start. I had three PowerPC Macs before switching to a Windows/Linux Thinkpad in grad school and back to a mid-2014 Macbook Pro. I switched in school for the same reason I expect my next major computer purchase to be a Windows computer. Software. Currently my MBP only gets used for very light tasks (web browsing, home budgeting, email, photos, itunes). That has been fine, but I'm at a point where I am looking to work for myself.

I'm an engineer and the common software is all Windows, but I was hoping that with the Silicon announcement that Apple would give some hope of broader support. Even if they didn't explicitly announce support from key software vendors (always a pipe dream), I was hoping to see a serious workstation contender with features like lots of ECC RAM or expanded support for industry standard workstation graphics cards (heaven forbid they bury the hatchet with Nvidia). Instead Apple was touting in house GPUs installed in their lowest product lines. SOC with integrated RAM. Nothing that would encourage a PTC or Dassault to invest in the Mac ecosystem anytime soon or encourage Siemens to come back.

Apple's computers are well made and I like the OS itself. It's secure and user friendly. Without marque software in my line of work, I don't see myself plunking down thousands on a computer that's only useful to me to web browse and organize photos.

Reactions: Sarbun96

Queen6

macrumors G4
Well, I really hate the touchbar. But this I hate even more. And yes, I do understand that the word 'hate' is a strong term to use, but in this case I find it appropriate.

Now Apple is becoming more and more like MS with their Windows?
I'm rather satisfied with Linux, now more so than ever.
Not good news by any means (if substantiated), equally I've always considered Apple's stance on security under Tim Cook to be mostly sales and marketing BS at best, deflection for the masses at worst. Such acts only convince me ever more to invest in Linux based HW on the next cycle and run the likes of W10 in a VM as and when required.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now Apple is becoming more and more like MS with their Windows?
I'm rather satisfied with Linux, now more so than ever.
What makes Apple worse imo, is they cover themselves in the flag of privacy being the champion of the consumer, where as MS doesn't really hide anything. They say what they're doing.

MS is much much more open in many respects, not just privacy but security, Apple really doesn't publicly say much with vulnerabilities and I can only think that's not a good thing

I like Linux, as I've stated so many times, but its not perfect, and the apps I want and need are not available. Sadly, Linux never caught on in the desktop category. There's some really fantastic distros, but if I cannot connect to work, use my apps that I'm heavily invested in, then its not for me

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
My pos
What makes Apple worse imo, is they cover themselves in the flag of privacy being the champion of the consumer, where as MS doesn't really hide anything. They say what they're doing.
I completely agree with you on this one.
I like Linux, as I've stated so many times, but its not perfect, and the apps I want and need are not available. Sadly, Linux never caught on in the desktop category. There's some really fantastic distros, but if I cannot connect to work, use my apps that I'm heavily invested in, then its not for me
There is no point in pushing for something just because you can push. Linux suits my needs more than windows 10. Better tools, faster and 99% are native for developers.

But even though I can use Linux for .NET, I don't. I boot into windows 10 for that. It's native to windows environment, so why not?

Likewise for you. Use what's best for you. If it works, it's great. OS wars and flaming are for kids IMHO. Today I'm on popos. Tomorrow? Who knows. Whatever I need at that time, I will use :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is no point in pushing for something just because you can push. Linux suits my needs more than windows 10. Better tools, faster and 99% are native for developers.
I'm not pushing anything, just pointing out, that I really wanted to make Linux work, but it didn't.

Reactions: c0ppo and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Just having Little Snitch installed gives an indication of Apple's intrusion and data collection abilities and now an API to block/bypass such products, no Thx. Not remotely interested; Apple, Google same ****, different name. Apple's just a dam sight smarter at sweetly wrapping it up for the uninformed...

Given Apple's complete lack of transparency and underhand deals with Google, I'd more likely place them in the least trustworthy category, alternatively you can always just take it on trust what Tim says at the Keynote ?

15 years ago Apple could produce an iPod that to this day works on the original battery? A decade ago Apple could produce a MacBook that still has over 75% battery capacity, however the Apple of today seems to be incompetent, incapable of the same or simply riddled by greed, potentially all three. What I do know is that I don't trust Apple for one second as they are very clearly and obviously using deflection as a ruse similar to many in politics to obfuscate the truth of the matter.

Any doubts? Little Snitch will illuminate for those outside of Big Sur. This vast data trawling kicked off with OS X 10.11 and has only intensified...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeW and SteveJUAE

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Apple's real strength is in its brand marketing, people really will believe anything they say. I know people that buy their products on the strength of what they say alone.

Can I also just add that MR in recent years really is top-heavy in the privacy believing sheep. Yes, I know what the forum is and it's expected but I have noticed it way more in the last 12 months or so in the other forum categories. A word against Apple on their privacy practices and you will be pounced on from all directions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple's real strength is in its brand marketing, people really will believe anything they say. I know people that buy their products on the strength of what they say alone.
No question, Did not apple fans coin the phrase RDF with respect to their announcements? Apple does an excellent job and marketing their products, generating buzz and building up energy and excitement.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Can I also just add that MR in recent years really is top-heavy in the privacy believing sheep. Yes, I know what the forum is and it's expected but I have noticed it way more in the last 12 months or so in the other forum categories. A word against Apple on their privacy practices and you will be pounced on from all directions.
Said for many a year the best thing Apple sells is Apple without any question. They obviously want their customers to be on a never ending treadmill of purchases, inclusive of being in debt preferably so IMO... Apple without any doubts is an extremely well run and shrewd company, equally those deluding themselves that Apple is all about the customer are just buying into Apple's rhetoric and the herd mentality. Apple is all about profit and the function of that above all else.

Apple's products are now very clearly & obviously time limited in so many respects; support, physical properties, software etc. On this desk alongside this PC notebook is an MBP, it's fast closing on a decade in age yet remains to be 100% stock including the original battery. I wonder just how many of the modern Mac's will offer such longevity? Few if any methinks...

TLDR #Apple-Sold-Out...

Q-6

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Here is a prime example of the snake oil being peddled on the forums in massive doses at the moment and people are actually believing it. I won't quote the actual poster but they said.

In Short 8GB M1 = 16GB Intel and 16GB M1 = 32GB Intel

I just, can't, I mean, is this even, what the actual ****?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.