Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
No question, Did not apple fans coin the phrase RDF with respect to their announcements? Apple does an excellent job and marketing their products, generating buzz and building up energy and excitement.
I completely agree. In addition, I think all the other tech companies do not do a great job at building this excitement, even when they have great products (the only exceptions are Xbox and Playstation), which is a huge problem.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Here is a prime example of the snake oil being peddled on the forums in massive doses at the moment and people are actually believing it. I won't quote the actual poster but they said.

In Short 8GB M1 = 16GB Intel and 16GB M1 = 32GB Intel

I just, can't, I mean, is this even, what the actual ****?
As my late father would oft say "fools and their money"...

Q-6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Here is a prime example of the snake oil being peddled on the forums in massive doses at the moment and people are actually believing it. I won't quote the actual poster but they said.

I just, can't, I mean, is this even, what the actual ****?

Math is not my ace subject, but I know that equation does not compute.

I had an M1 Air: saw Beach Balls just running Safari and Citrix with 16gb of Ram. The system had a royal Pooh fit trying to stream content from Apple TV (It couldn’t), and the energy usage spiked hard playing a downloaded video which baffled me. So as obvious as that is by looking at the RAM numbers, Apple has a long way to go before that happens.

So the M1 Air went back and I ordered a Tiger Lake HP Envy. I do not buy Intel’s Evo claims either, but whatever. As long as it does what I need to do. There was a reason why I bought Serif’s Affinity software for Windows earlier this week (Finally understand I need to be cross platform).

Last edited:

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I still admire Apple, and reflect back on 2008 and my first iPhone 3G, white MacBook and what 13 year old me thought was the coolest service ever when they helped me set it up and armed me with a tonne of keyboard shortcuts and answered my every question about the computer! And my religious following of all the keynotes since, the trips to the Apple Store, all the machines I've bought and the controversey of Apple from time to time. But I am glad I'm out. I'm free from it now. I know they have to keep changing things and growing to stay on top of the industry, but it's not for me anymore. I think it's like looking back at German cars, in the 80s a Mercedes was a well built machine. now, they're just facades and plagued with nothing but problems that only people too rich and too busy to care can tolerate... Living off of an old reputation. That's how I feel about Apple today, living off of the golden era of Steve Jobs, the unibody MacBook and the first few iPhones that changed the world.

The move to Samsung is freeing. I still have a good, developed and trustworthy manufacturer with its own ecosystem (sure, most of it is a rip off of Apple, but when a company like Samsung rips something off they can do a pretty damn good job). Sure, Android is a Google spyware product, but by the same virtue I can toy with it at such a level to take control of it - despite Google's best efforts. If it can hold up for 3 years, then I don't think I'll be coming back. I just can't see ARM doing the job frankly. And if the 'one device' thing works for me, I may never need to spend £1k on a phone AND £1k+ on a laptop ever again?!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find in MR (and I'm probably guilty of this as well) There's a high level of justification of Apple's decisions and their buying decisions back when you could only max out at 16GB of ram, people were saying that macOS could run on 2, why would you need more then 16. Jumping ahead a few more years, and when apple finally caught up and you could get 64, everyone came out of the wood work to say how you had to get 64GB of ram - nevermind 32 or 16, people had to get 64 or they'd be sorry.

Now that apple has locked you in with such a small amount they're defending apple and many of the arguments defy logic. I totally get that with the ARM CPU, it may be more efficient but if LightRoom or Photoshop needs to 32GB of ram to edit large images, that requirement isn't going away simply because its running on a M1 processor now.,

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I totally get that with the ARM CPU, it may be more efficient but if LightRoom or Photoshop needs to 32GB of ram to edit large images, that requirement isn't going away simply because its running on a M1 processor now.,

This, and I tried to explain that very point. Any app that you used yesterday which required 1GB of ram on an intel MBA will still require 1GB today on an M1. The exception being of course if there is a native ARM version that leverages any efficiencies offered which may reduce that requirement some.

But this is where Apple kind of wins with a large number of their customer base and has been seen on MR recently. People make claims that most have no understanding of and they panic not knowing what to do hence all the is 8GB? Enough, should I upgrade to 16GB?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I tried to explain that very point
You can't. Back when MBPs could be configured for 64GB, I gave up trying to offer buying advise for those people whose need was just basic office apps, and facebook. They felt better to be safe then sorry and get 64. I get that its their money and their decision.

I'm not knocking that, but I am criticizing the conventional wisdom of MR, particularly the MBP forum where nearly everyone was jumping on the must have 64GB of ram, now many of those same folks are saying, 16GB is going to be more then enough for everyone, regardless of use case.

Reactions: Queen6

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I completely get the panic queries (8gb enough?) bought the 16gb Air for multitasking and it was a royal cluster. That said, these M1 chipsets will not take more than 16gb, so the false claims are even more ridiculous, especially in light of how bug ridden macOS has become. Was thoroughly annoyed to see Beach Balls in only using Safari and Citrix.

Regarding RAM needs versus wants: that’s why I preferred the 27” iMac, so I could upgrade the RAM as needed.

There’s nothing I’d like more than to stay with Apple, but these issues keep mounting and no matter how nice the hardware is, their software is a mess. I know Windows has its own issues and OEMs hardware can also be problematic, but it’s telling I keep trying to switch, especially in light of finally dealing with the walled garden (My iMac has been on Sierra for 4 years on purpose).

Anyway, I hope Apple nails it at some point. Until then, I’ll look out the Windows and roll with iDevices.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

Queen6

macrumors G4
I completely get the panic queries (8gb enough?) bought the 16gb Air for multitasking and it was a royal cluster. That said, these M1 chipsets will not take more than 16gb, so the false claims are even more ridiculous, especially in light of how bug ridden macOS has become. Was thoroughly annoyed to see Beach Balls in only using Safari and Citrix.

Regarding RAM needs versus wants: that’s why I preferred the 27” iMac, so I could upgrade the RAM as needed.

There’s nothing I’d like more than to stay with Apple, but these issues keep mounting and no matter how nice the hardware is, their software is a mess. I know Windows has its own issues and OEMs hardware can also be problematic, but it’s telling I keep trying to switch, especially in light of finally dealing with the walled garden (My iMac has been on Sierra for 4 years on purpose).

Anyway, I hope Apple nails it at some point. Until then, I’ll look out the Windows and roll with iDevices.
TBH I do think Apple is on to something, IMO well and truly overdue that another significantly disrupts Intel. These are 1st Gen products so one has to consider that there will be issues, equally nor will it all be peaches & cream as so many reviews portray.

Right now I don't have a need for a notebook of this class. I wouldn't opt for the new M1 as I'd want assured stability for work purpose, although I would consider say the Air as one to have a look and play about with, say utilised in a secondary role where I could keep the M1 on it's native Apps for the most part.

All credit due Apple has most definitely stirred the pot, hopefully others will follow suit although I rather fear that few will have the capability leaving us with a single provider for such hardware and we all know where that ends. I have looked at a few W10 ARM based systems, equally nothing terribly impressing, with Microsoft's being the better. I've yet to take a look at the new M1 notebooks, yet have few doubts of the potential magnitude of this change.

The whole RAM thing is just a joke, likely propagated by those firmly in the "sadly obsessed" club and as we all too well know when Apple up's the RAM capacity in time their story too will change LOL.

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
BH I do think Apple is on to something, IMO well and truly overdue that another significantly disrupts Intel.
I saw a video a little while ago, and sorry I don't have a link for it, but the person postulated that Apple could squeeze so much raw performance out of the ARM cpu while Intel has struggled was due to Apple's enormous R&D budget, and market conditions.

What I mean by market conditions is Intel's customers survive on a razer thin profit margin, they want better CPUs but are unwilling or unable to pay for them, so that puts Intel in a mode of small, tiny updates as they do not dedicate a ton of money to make mind blowing fast processors that will be too expensive for those same customers. We won't go in Intel's sad, almost comedic missteps in rolling out new processors but that's most likely a factor.

I don't think any other company can do what Apple is doing right now simply because they [Apple] have the money and they control the entire platform, they have a captive audience. Do you think Dell would be very successful if they sunk 5 billion dollars in a new chip design, roll out a new laptop that is probably 10 to 20% more expensive then similar models? People would not be buying it, pure and simple. Apple has a reputation for premium and you get a high quality machine for the high price you're paying. While Dell's are certainly great machines, they simply do not have that same premium priced reputation.

Will this change the industry and will we see other companies flock to ARM? It all depends on whether the want to spend billions to R&D some new ARM designs like apple did. To my knowledge Qualcomm which owns a virtual monopoly has yet to produce an ARM cpu that rival's Apple's Why? Most likely the same reasons that intel doesn't, Qualcomm's customers are unwilling to pay a premium for high priced CPUs

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
TBH I do think Apple is on to something, IMO well and truly overdue that another significantly disrupts Intel. These are 1st Gen products so one has to consider that there will be issues, equally nor will it all be peaches & cream as so many reviews portray.

Right now I don't have a need for a notebook of this class. I wouldn't opt for the new M1 as I'd want assured stability for work purpose, although I would consider say the Air as one to have a look and play about with, say utilised in a secondary role where I could keep the M1 on it's native Apps for the most part.

All credit due Apple has most definitely stirred the pot, hopefully others will follow suit although I rather fear that few will have the capability leaving us with a single provider for such hardware and we all know where that ends. I have look at a few W10 ARM based systems, equally nothing terribly impressing, with Microsoft's being the better. I've yet to take a look at the new M1 notebooks, yet have few doubts of the potential magnitude of this change.

The whole RAM thing is just a joke, likely propagated by those firmly in the "sadly obsessed" club and as we all too well know when Apple up's the RAM capacity in time their story too will change LOL.

Q-6
True. I do not hate Apple, but I am frustrated with the software/hardware snafus and further locking down the system. While I understand the Arm shift, it is a bit lost on me, just want systems that perform well.

The MBA hardware was fantastic, completely changed my mind on Apple laptops. Right now though, it’s best I wait to jump back into Mac waters.

The RAM math is silly, and it will change as Apple ups the RAM.

My choices aside, being cross platform will help me big time.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I saw a video a little while ago, and sorry I don't have a link for it, but the person postulated that Apple could squeeze so much raw performance out of the ARM cpu while Intel has struggled was due to Apple's enormous R&D budget, and market conditions.

What I mean by market conditions is Intel's customers survive on a razer thin profit margin, they want better CPUs but are unwilling or unable to pay for them, so that puts Intel in a mode of small, tiny updates as they do not dedicate a ton of money to make mind blowing fast processors that will be too expensive for those same customers. We won't go in Intel's sad, almost comedic missteps in rolling out new processors but that's most likely a factor.

I don't think any other company can do what Apple is doing right now simply because they [Apple] have the money and they control the entire platform, they have a captive audience. Do you think Dell would be very successful if they sunk 5 billion dollars in a new chip design, roll out a new laptop that is probably 10 to 20% more expensive then similar models? People would not be buying it, pure and simple. Apple has a reputation for premium and you get a high quality machine for the high price you're paying. While Dell's are certainly great machines, they simply do not have that same premium priced reputation.

Will this change the industry and will we see other companies flock to ARM? It all depends on whether the want to spend billions to R&D some new ARM designs like apple did. To my knowledge Qualcomm which owns a virtual monopoly has yet to produce an ARM cpu that rival's Apple's Why? Most likely the same reasons that intel doesn't, Qualcomm's customers are unwilling to pay a premium for high priced CPUs

I would add that it's not just about money. Even if Dell had the money for R&D and produced even better chip than Apple, on what OS would they use it? Sure, Windows on ARM exists. But 3rd party software doesn't work on it for the most part.

Dell doesn't have it's own OS. Neither does Lenovo, HP or Razer. They depend on Microsoft. They could use Linux for example, but that brings them to 3rd party software again, since most of apps people use for pro work doesn't work on Linux at all (from Adobe, AutoCAD to anything one can think of).

So, in order for others to compete with Apple, Microsoft will have to step up. And step up in a big way. That means pouring their cash to likes of Qualcomm, but also 3rd party software companies. But is MS willing to do that? They are becoming more and more company that sells services. And those services are mostly Office and Azure. Windows isn't their top priority any more.

Something has to happen. Because if Apple makes their CPU game even way better in 5 years time, who will purchase a Lenovo/Dell?

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009

Flynn: thanks for an informative post. In general lines I agree. Money/Economics is ONE of the reasons behind the chasm between Apple Silicon and Intel Chips. IMHO not the main difference. Without the technology basis of ARM and its ecosystem, the economics wouldn’t work.

Let’s roll back to the iPod Mini. How many companies would kill their best selling product ? I can guarantee that less than 1% would make this decision. Even Netflix kept their DVD rental for years after launching streaming.

Intel has the same problem as Microsoft. The legacy support required occupies a huge part of silicon/code and thus MONEY for both companies. To produce different results they would have to break from the past. Easier said than done.

ARM has the scale (smartphones) that justify a lot of investment resources. But it’s inherently a legacy free technology because smartphones are discarded every 4-5 years and there is little to no software that only runs in this/that model. Every part of the stack (HW/OS/APPS/APIs) gets updated with an amazing frequency.

ARM also benefits from their energy efficiency DNA. While Intel has its roots in plugged in machines. Same goes for GPUs that are incredibly power hungry.

To go back to your point, TL/DR, I would say ECONOMICS played as much or more a role than MONEY, but all would be for not without the DNA (perf per watt) and the ecosystem surrounding ARM.

Reactions: Nightfury326

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dell doesn't have it's own OS. Neither does Lenovo, HP or Razer. They depend on Microsoft.
No question, and that's part of the advantage that Apple certainly has, they control the entire platform and they have the ability to customize the OS to a high degree and have it full leverage the hardware, where as Dell (and others) depend on MS and given the wide variety of hardware has to write the software using the lowest common denominator, sacrificing performance for compatibility.

In some sense, that can be a positive and negative, Windows can and does run on such a wide variety of hardware, and has access to peripherals and components that bewilder the mind.

Queen6

macrumors G4
This:
Something has to happen. Because if Apple makes their CPU game even way better in 5 years time, who will purchase a Lenovo/Dell?
I have few doubts Apple has a roadmap already in place for it's own silicon that's likely to significantly improve on performance year on year. As long as Dev's get onboard I can see this snowballing and beyond the consumer space...

Q-6

Reactions: LeeW

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I do like that Apple is succeeding, disrupting and improving end user experience. I just hope government doesn't smash the success to pieces by breaking it up or calling it a monopoly etc. Most of the success is down to the fact it exclusively only needs to design and supply as many components as possible to itself, and its huge cash enables it to do it.

I also like where Apple's success has dragged Samsung up to. The iPhone is the best phone, for all intents and purposes, that the common man can buy today - and if you care a lot about tech you're probably beyond the 'common' person I refer to. Same with the Mac, IMO. It's only our more specific wants for power or gripes that push us away, but most people don't care and aren't bothered. Samsung and co need to try twice as hard to earn our attention and money. Things like DeX are purely them trying to anticipate and 'beat' Apple to some next big thing that may or may not take off. And the whole ecosystem with the buds and the watch etc, I'm not sure if they're as good as Apple's but they're certainly a good alternative in terms of price, quality and feature set as far as I can tell.

Now that I've left Apple, it's previous strength has now turned against it. I used all Apple services from iCloud to Apple Music - they don't play well with Samsung and others so now I'm totally off of them. Same with the Watch, won't work with Android and even if it did, would likely be a poor experience so it's gone. My iPhone is gone because it too makes me jump through hoops when I'm not on Apple Services for no good reason. And the Apple TV, which I bought in May is also going to be replaced by the latest Chromecast at just £59. Previously, nothing could match how well these all worked seamlessly, but now that I'm not all in, they work terribly or refuse to work - despite being more than capable hardware wise.

And another thing I don't miss about Apple is SJW causes and banners popping up in their services and news sections I couldn't care a less about, but must occupy my screen... That's the biggest thing I don't like about Apple. I'd rather have my tech companies changing the world in the sense of building a better trackpad or user interface and not telling me to support one social cause over another etc. etc. Tbh, in contract to what I said above, if Apple ever has to cut off a part of it's business I hope it's TV and News. I think we're better off with dedicated TV and news companies (as terrible as they can also be) lol

Reactions: c0ppo and Queen6

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I do like that Apple is succeeding, disrupting and improving end user experience. I just hope government doesn't smash the success to pieces by breaking it up or calling it a monopoly etc. Most of the success is down to the fact it exclusively only needs to design and supply as many components as possible to itself, and its huge cash enables it to do it.

I also like where Apple's success has dragged Samsung up to. The iPhone is the best phone, for all intents and purposes, that the common man can buy today - and if you care a lot about tech you're probably beyond the 'common' person I refer to. Same with the Mac, IMO. It's only our more specific wants for power or gripes that push us away, but most people don't care and aren't bothered. Samsung and co need to try twice as hard to earn our attention and money. Things like DeX are purely them trying to anticipate and 'beat' Apple to some next big thing that may or may not take off. And the whole ecosystem with the buds and the watch etc, I'm not sure if they're as good as Apple's but they're certainly a good alternative in terms of price, quality and feature set as far as I can tell.

Now that I've left Apple, it's previous strength has now turned against it. I used all Apple services from iCloud to Apple Music - they don't play well with Samsung and others so now I'm totally off of them. Same with the Watch, won't work with Android and even if it did, would likely be a poor experience so it's gone. My iPhone is gone because it too makes me jump through hoops when I'm not on Apple Services for no good reason. And the Apple TV, which I bought in May is also going to be replaced by the latest Chromecast at just £59. Previously, nothing could match how well these all worked seamlessly, but now that I'm not all in, they work terribly or refuse to work - despite being more than capable hardware wise.

And another thing I don't miss about Apple is SJW causes and banners popping up in their services and news sections I couldn't care a less about, but must occupy my screen... That's the biggest thing I don't like about Apple. I'd rather have my tech companies changing the world in the sense of building a better trackpad or user interface and not telling me to support one social cause over another etc. etc. Tbh, in contract to what I said above, if Apple ever has to cut off a part of it's business I hope it's TV and News. I think we're better off with dedicated TV and news companies (as terrible as they can also be) lol
Apple's services, by design, was never meant to play outside of the sandbox of the ecosystem, unlike google whose services, by design, was meant to be cross-platform.

What I don't understand though is this (quoted below):
"And another thing I don't miss about Apple is SJW causes and banners popping up in their services"

If you are saying you visit this, https://www.apple.com/newsroom/, and you don't like the content, then don't visit that link. If you are not saying that, then maybe you can be clearer, because I don't think Apple ever told me to support a particular social cause over another...in the 10 years I've been an Apple customer.

Reactions: Nightfury326

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Apple's services, by design, was never meant to play outside of the sandbox of the ecosystem, unlike google whose services, by design, was meant to be cross-platform.

What I don't understand though is this (quoted below):
"And another thing I don't miss about Apple is SJW causes and banners popping up in their services"

If you are saying you visit this, https://www.apple.com/newsroom/, and you don't like the content, then don't visit that link. If you are not saying that, then maybe you can be clearer, because I don't think Apple ever told me to support a particular social cause over another...in the 10 years I've been an Apple customer.

That's true. And that's what I always loved when I was all in on Apple personally, I must admit nothing else works as seamlessly or naturally. Even on Android for things like Bixby or Google Assistant, it's a whole show-stopper at the start having to grant manaul permissions etc for every feature as I come across to needing a function that requires it... for example, I asked Bixby to read my notifications in the car yesterday when it asked me to give it the right permissions........ Kinda sucked since I couldn't do anything about it! I know once I give it the permissions it'll be fine, but with my iPhone's it's always worked from that one initial 'Use Siri' switch. So I admire that about Apple and its built in, in-house approach for sure.

I'm talking about Apple News, and particularly, one day earlier this year when I was in a rush to get going somewhere in the car, I went into Apple Music and attempted to shuffle all songs (was muscle memory at that point) but instead I was hijacked into a white screen with a loading swirl for ages (my phone loses WiFi and has to connect to sketchy 4G or Edge in my area when I get into the car so things take ages to load if not ready beforehand) and then the whole screen is overtaken by a black backdrop with 'Celebrate today with some of history's best black musicians' - or something to that effect. And I'm thinking... why? Why is Apple shoving this in my face? Not to be political as I know that's not allowed outside of the right section so mods remove if needed, but just to explain to you I7guy what I mean.

Secondly, the same thing in the News app there as an unremovable button for this same topic and Coronavirus - understand that I'm not one of these people who denies it or goes against advice, nothing like that, but at the same time, especially when I'm paying for a news service, sometimes I want to read about anything BUT that kind of negativity. I remember posting on here about it and found a few others with the same issue. I don't think those sections could be removed and possibly still can't.

Now, to be a bit OTT and maybe this is where I'm wrong, but again in the M1 event that little video with the 'A New Generation Meets A New Generation of Mac', again it was a bit to clear by keeping in the mottos of some SJW causes and some quite clear efforts by Apple to you know, include a wide range of diversity which I know companies find important these days to look the part and avoid any criticism, but tbh I find it a bit like they're trying too hard to please a movement and a voice that really, I don't think achieves much. As mentioned, this last little paragraph could well be nothing more than a stubborn opinion of mines that anybody is welcome to disagree with, but Tl;dr: I would rather Apple focus on things like the 'Get a Mac' societal change and the change from little plastic keyboards on smartphones into something better with multitouch, sort of 'societal change' from '07-'10 era and not this PSRI level stuff.

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
If you are saying you visit this, https://www.apple.com/newsroom/, and you don't like the content, then don't visit that link.

Okay, just visited that link you sent. Wow, is this what used to be Apple Hot News ? (the default homepage on Safari on new Macs for a long time). That is insane. Picking out the Apple / product news there is difficult! I remember when this was stuff I cared about like the announcement that 'the fastest way to run Vista is now on an iMac' etc.

I get it though, Apple's much bigger and in many more industries now, and 'storytelling' in marketing in general is more common now so that's what they're at. Good for them, if this is what people want to see. I won't say it's a problem just because I don't like it personally. At least the products are at the heart of most of those stories. The Cork story is kind of cool in an Apple heritage kind of way!

DMike

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
I would add that it's not just about money. Even if Dell had the money for R&D and produced even better chip than Apple, on what OS would they use it? Sure, Windows on ARM exists. But 3rd party software doesn't work on it for the most part.

Dell doesn't have it's own OS. Neither does Lenovo, HP or Razer. They depend on Microsoft. They could use Linux for example, but that brings them to 3rd party software again, since most of apps people use for pro work doesn't work on Linux at all (from Adobe, AutoCAD to anything one can think of).

So, in order for others to compete with Apple, Microsoft will have to step up. And step up in a big way. That means pouring their cash to likes of Qualcomm, but also 3rd party software companies. But is MS willing to do that? They are becoming more and more company that sells services. And those services are mostly Office and Azure. Windows isn't their top priority any more.

HP does have its own OS. It's called HP/UX, is UNIX, and it has been around longer than MacOS; the latest version was released in May of this year. Sun (now Oracle) had Solaris. SGI (now sort of HP) had IRIX. IBM (hardware now Lenovo) had OS/2 and currently owns RedHat. There's a long history of non MS operating systems that were widely adopted in the professional market. Windows drove many of those out.

I'm not sure what you do professionally, but Linux support is better in many professional fields than Mac OS. Adobe has the professional photo market, but AutoCAD is a niche product in engineering. Even in the Autodesk portfolio its underneath Inventor which is not available on Mac. ANSYS (one of the more popular FEA programs) runs on Windows and Linux, but not MacOS. Many CAD/CAM/CAE programs even used to run on Linux/UNIX before going Windows only (ex. Creo). Outside of engineering, Linux is hugely popular for hosting websites, supercomputing, and Cloud computing. The last where it is estimated to account for 90%.

As I said before, this was my complaint about what I saw from the initial Silicon announcement. There was very little that indicated Apple was taking the workstation, corporate, or server markets seriously other than, "We've got the best processors!" Which we heard during the PowerPC era, too.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not sure what you do professionally, but Linux support is better in many professional fields than Mac OS. Adobe has the professional photo market, but AutoCAD is a niche product in engineering. Even in the Autodesk portfolio its underneath Inventor which is not available on Mac. ANSYS (one of the more popular FEA programs) runs on Windows and Linux, but not MacOS. Many CAD/CAM/CAE programs even used to run on Linux/UNIX before going Windows only (ex. Creo). Outside of engineering, Linux is hugely popular for hosting websites, supercomputing, and Cloud computing. The last where it is estimated to account for 90%.

I'm a senior developer.
And I use Linux, I'm on PopOS at the moment.

CAD software is basically Windows only. Sure, there is a lot of history to that, but that doesn't matter. At all. What does matter is current day and age.

Linux is great. I love it. Science and programming field love it as well. But regular people don't. Why? Because it lacks basic quality apps you can easily find for windows or macos. And not just those, but most of professional apps as well. That's just a sad fact, but a fact :(

Linux can't die. It won't ever die. You listed some of the reasons, but mostly it won't ever die because of die hard enthusiasts. But Linux lost the desktop wars, and it's not gaining any traction on desktop at all. And it probably never will.

That's not a bad thing, but not good either.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Once upon a time I believed that CP/M would never die. Then I believed that AmigaDOS would never die. Then many people believed that WordPerfect (which than ruled the small computer word processing universe) would never die (it hasn't, it's still there, but you have to look hard to find it). There are many people who believe that Microsoft/ Windows will never die.

The computing world is just like the biological world. There is constant evolution, new things coming up, old things dying away.

The dinosaurs were dying out before the meteor ever struck. It didn't look like that, but the evidence was there if you looked properly.

Now re-write the above paragraph, but replace 'dinosaurs' with 'Windows'. The evidence is there if you look for it.

Active Directory won't go away soon, but with governments adopting RHEL for its server platform, new versions of Linux supporting AD, and with LibreOffice outshining MS Office in most areas, the only thing keeping Windows and Office going is momentum. Our own Australian Federal Government has found that Outlook is very insecure, and open to malicious emails in a way that Thunderbird and Evolution aren't.

Linux is the equivalent of the small, burrowing mammals 250 million years ago, Microsoft is the equivalent of the reptiles and Windows is the dinosaurs(large, dominating the landscape, out of date). We are now just waiting for the digital equivalent of the meteor.

Microsoft won't disappear, just as the reptiles haven't, but Windows is on it's last legs. Whether it dies with a bang or a whimper we have yet to see.

Apple has long realised that if you create and manage the whole ecosystem (hardware and software) and have many parts of that ecosystem (different operating systems, different hardware platforms), you will survive any local disasters.

Microsoft has been exploring that, but only to a very minor extent. They tried to make phones, but that fizzled. They now make laptops, and are experimenting with putting their OS onto ARM architecture (Win 10 on a RPI4, anyone?) and with folding Linux into Windows. They have been trying the concept of putting all their users onto a subscription basis, but there has been some push-back from customers, and they will be offering one-time purchases of Office again next year. However, Microsoft hasn't really committed to providing a wide-ranging group of user-friendly products.

Microsoft is a very limited ecosystem. To most, it only has Windows and Office.* These two are like the Tyrannosaurus and the Brontosaurus** wandering along side-by-side. Nothing wrong with either, both perfectly functional, both dominating the ecosystem. For now...

* Yes, I know it has many more products, but any company survives or fails on its public image. This can be manipulated to some extent, that's what advertising is for. But, MS still appears to be a two-product family. That's not diverse enough for long-term evolutionary survival.

** Once more for the pedants. Apatosaurus is a nomenclatural synonym for Brontosaurus. You can use either. I grew up with Brontosaurus and I'm going to continue using it. (I know that by making this statement I am being a meta-pedant. Cope with it.)

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Once upon a time I believed that CP/M would never die. Then I believed that AmigaDOS would never die. Then many people believed that WordPerfect (which than ruled the small computer word processing universe) would never die (it hasn't, it's still there, but you have to look hard to find it). There are many people who believe that Microsoft/ Windows will never die.

The computing world is just like the biological world. There is constant evolution, new things coming up, old things dying away.

The dinosaurs were dying out before the meteor ever struck. It didn't look like that, but the evidence was there if you looked properly.

Now re-write the above paragraph, but replace 'dinosaurs' with 'Windows'. The evidence is there if you look for it.

Active Directory won't go away soon, but with governments adopting RHEL for its server platform, new versions of Linux supporting AD, and with LibreOffice outshining MS Office in most areas, the only thing keeping Windows and Office going is momentum. Our own Australian Federal Government has found that Outlook is very insecure, and open to malicious emails in a way that Thunderbird and Evolution aren't.

Linux is the equivalent of the small, burrowing mammals 250 million years ago, Microsoft is the equivalent of the reptiles and Windows is the dinosaurs(large, dominating the landscape, out of date). We are now just waiting for the digital equivalent of the meteor.

Microsoft won't disappear, just as the reptiles haven't, but Windows is on it's last legs. Whether it dies with a bang or a whimper we have yet to see.

Apple has long realised that if you create and manage the whole ecosystem (hardware and software) and have many parts of that ecosystem (different operating systems, different hardware platforms), you will survive any local disasters.

Microsoft has been exploring that, but only to a very minor extent. They tried to make phones, but that fizzled. They now make laptops, and are experimenting with putting their OS onto ARM architecture (Win 10 on a RPI4, anyone?) and with folding Linux into Windows. They have been trying the concept of putting all their users onto a subscription basis, but there has been some push-back from customers, and they will be offering one-time purchases of Office again next year. However, Microsoft hasn't really committed to providing a wide-ranging group of user-friendly products.

Microsoft is a very limited ecosystem. To most, it only has Windows and Office.* These two are like the Tyrannosaurus and the Brontosaurus** wandering along side-by-side. Nothing wrong with either, both perfectly functional, both dominating the ecosystem. For now...

* Yes, I know it has many more products, but any company survives or fails on its public image. This can be manipulated to some extent, that's what advertising is for. But, MS still appears to be a two-product family. That's not diverse enough for long-term evolutionary survival.

** Once more for the pedants. Apatosaurus is a nomenclatural synonym for Brontosaurus. You can use either. I grew up with Brontosaurus and I'm going to continue using it. (I know that by making this statement I am being a meta-pedant. Cope with it.)
The thing about Microsoft is, like you say about evolution, it's always changing too. Their integration of Linux and move to Azure cloud will keep them just as prevalant and important in the server space going forward, and since they've already got the foothold all those customers and their input will ensure the future is bright for them in this space, I think that's the core of Microsoft now.

Windows and Office is ancient by comparison to much else in the industry, but that doesn't make it obsolete. W10 is no MacOS in its charm and ease of use, but it is drastically easier, more friendly and reliable than Windows has ever been before, and of course, more accessible than the Mac as it's on more machines by default of all prices. Office is the other side of the coin on why most people even use computers these days, one side Facebook and YouTube, the other, knocking up a CV or applying for jobs etc which tends to use Office. Sure, Google Docs is starting to become known by most people who aren't techies so MS needs to worry about this, but they've got free Office on the web to respond to this.

Microsoft is slowly building its ecosystem, not by having its own phone OS and app ecosystem like Google or Apple anymore, but with a new approach, 'being a good citizen on ALL platforms'. I can't see how they can lose with that. iPhone gets more marketshare? Good, they win. Android does? Good, they win. Third player enters the arena and takes it by storm? Good, Microsoft just need to deliver on that platform too. Pledging no loyalty to either means it can give the customer a good value offer with zero lock in. And if it works with their cheap PC they pull out from time to time, all the better.

Microsoft has learnt a lot from it's purchase of Minecraft if you ask me... the old 'make it run on anything' approach lol This means it's 'ecosystem' spans more, as they can piggyback on Apple and Google and the rest.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I think you agree with me. I was careful to use Microsoft and Windows and Office in the appropriate places.

Microsoft is the reptiles, and won't go away. Windows and Office are the dinosaurs, which, I think, are approaching end-of-life. Microsoft will change and adapt while Windows and Office have evolved into a digital dead-end. They are too big, and no longer agile enough, for long-term survival.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.