Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I think you agree with me. I was careful to use Microsoft and Windows and Office in the appropriate places.

Microsoft is the reptiles, and won't go away. Windows and Office are the dinosaurs, which, I think, are approaching end-of-life. Microsoft will change and adapt while Windows and Office have evolved into a digital dead-end. They are too big, and no longer agile enough, for long-term survival.
It could go this way. I'm inclined to say no big companies will move away from Active Directory or Office prominence and dependency anytime soon, because today no alternative exists that really ticks all the boxes. BUT, in the future, who knows? Something may just appear that's much lighter / more intelligent and cheaper than how MS does it. I wouldn't bank on it, but it's certainly possible

DMike

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
Sure, there is a lot of history to that, but that doesn't matter. At all. What does matter is current day and age.
Ever heard that one about not learning from history?

Many of those competitors had superior hardware, but still lost out.

Even Apple has been here before. The PowerPC architecture was a beast compared to equivalent x86. It did not lead to market dominance. Just having a very fast CPU is not enough. [edit] Nor is vertical integration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightfury326

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Ever heard that one about not learning from history?

I have. And history for Linux is the same as the present day :)
Look, I LOVE linux. I use it everyday. It's my main OS, and it has become the OS I use 90% of the time. But the fact remains, it's market share on desktops is tiny. And I do mean really tiny. It was so 20-30 years ago, it's the same now. Maybe it will change in the future? I hope so. But I really doubt it.

Even Apple has been here before. The PowerPC architecture was a beast compared to equivalent x86. It did not lead to market dominance. Just having a very fast CPU is not enough. [edit] Nor is vertical integration.
On this one I agree completely.

DMike

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have. And history for Linux is the same as the present day :)
Look, I LOVE linux. I use it everyday. It's my main OS, and it has become the OS I use 90% of the time. But the fact remains, it's market share on desktops is tiny. And I do mean really tiny. It was so 20-30 years ago, it's the same now. Maybe it will change in the future? I hope so. But I really doubt it.

On this one I agree completely.
Market share of consumer desktop for Linux is consistent in size. Market share of POSIX (Linux or Unix) in the professional desktop and workstation market was huge. But Windows pushed out many competitors in that professional market in the last 20 years. This is where use of "Pro" and "Professional" to describe software/hardware is so difficult. I was pointing out that there is a lot of corporate/professional software used on Linux/Unix currently and there is even more which would come back if a Dell or HP had to shift from Intel & MS.

Creo is one example (ended in '08). Or Siemens canceled their versions of NX which ran on POSIX (including the MacOS X11 version) in 2017. Maya from Autodesk is still available on Linux. If a significant portion of the market demanded a shift to Power or SPARC architectures or to the newer ARM and POSIX, those companies would follow. But it's also worth remembering that while Windows ARM is kind of new, Windows also ran on Itanium and PowerPC when they were widely used, so they have a history of non-x86 architectures. In order for Apple to compete in those kinds of markets they need more than M1 performance.

Queen6

macrumors G4
True. I do not hate Apple, but I am frustrated with the software/hardware snafus and further locking down the system. While I understand the Arm shift, it is a bit lost on me, just want systems that perform well.

The MBA hardware was fantastic, completely changed my mind on Apple laptops. Right now though, it’s best I wait to jump back into Mac waters.

The RAM math is silly, and it will change as Apple ups the RAM.

My choices aside, being cross platform will help me big time.
It will take time for all sides to settle down as M1 is simply not just just a 1st Gen product, it's literally a new generation of product. Personally I can only see Apple building on this year on year and given the M1 is the first iteration it's performance is impressive to say the least. As Apple gets into it's stride and releases more powerful Mac's driven by it's own silicon and revises the M1, ever more Dev's will support the platform making it far more viable to the wider audience.

The RAM is simply far more efficient on the M1 SOC which is likely the root of the silliness.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I can easily see Apple Silicon chips making great gains over the next 3-4 years.
If they do that, and release a true workstation laptop without additional gimmicks (touch bar), I will probably purchase one and move back to Apple. But honestly, in those 3-4 years I see them locking up MacOS even more, and I doubt they will drop touch bar.

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.