Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
I knew facebook was supposed to come out with an update to make the app more like the actual site. Is there any new info on this? I cant seem to find anything on the facebook site.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
All I know is every time I log in (type in my email address and password) into the native app it says on my mini-feed that I've just installed the facebook for iPhone application :rolleyes:

I don't like leaving it perpetually logged in

mizelly41

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Illinois
This was posted on the Facebook for iPhone app on September 16, 2008 at 8:30 p.m.

http://www.new.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=39271556354

"Thanks everyone for being patient waiting for me to finish Facebook for iPhone 2.0. The good news is, I plan to submit the update to the iPhone App Store a week from today. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to download it a week from today - Apple reviews every application before making it available, and they can sometimes take up to a week. So, you may get the update as soon as next Wednesday, or as late as October 1st.

Thanks for your patience!

- Joe"

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
This was posted on the Facebook for iPhone app on September 16, 2008 at 8:30 p.m.

http://www.new.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=39271556354

"Thanks everyone for being patient waiting for me to finish Facebook for iPhone 2.0. The good news is, I plan to submit the update to the iPhone App Store a week from today. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to download it a week from today - Apple reviews every application before making it available, and they can sometimes take up to a week. So, you may get the update as soon as next Wednesday, or as late as October 1st.

Thanks for your patience!

- Joe"

Nice, so that means soon I assume.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
All I know is every time I log in (type in my email address and password) into the native app it says on my mini-feed that I've just installed the facebook for iPhone application :rolleyes:

I don't like leaving it perpetually logged in

Most people just leave it logged in funnily enough.

If you lose your iPhone, just change your Facebook password.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
The Facebook app is still, unfortunately, crippled. I rather wait until I'm near a computer.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I would guess we have another week until we will see it.
[sarcasm]
Unless if Apple comes up with some BS reasoning to block this app too:rolleyes:[/sarcasm]

But I hope that this app is out soon. There are just too many things about the current one that make me not like it at all. Once of the major things being how unbelievably buggy the chat part of the app is, I can't keep a solid conversation going on that.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
[sarcasm]
Unless if Apple comes up with some BS reasoning to block this app too:rolleyes:[/sarcasm]

But I hope that this app is out soon. There are just too many things about the current one that make me not like it at all. Once of the major things being how unbelievably buggy the chat part of the app is, I can't keep a solid conversation going on that.

I know you don't expect it, but really, they won't block it. It doesn't compete with a built-in program.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Most people just leave it logged in funnily enough.

If you lose your iPhone, just change your Facebook password.

The better solution is for facebook to only report that to your mini-feed when you've actually just installed the app -- you know, because that's what it says. Right?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
could be any day now! its been exactly a week since he submitted the app! since this is a big app i hope Apple doesn't take a long time to get it out!

pavid

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
they are probably too busy with all the hate of the new facebook.
hope they sort that out before this!

although, the app isnt brilliant. the chat doesnt work.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
they are probably too busy with all the hate of the new facebook.

LOL.
Although I have to say, as much as I hated the new Facebook at first, I've grown used to it. Sure, there are some things that are annoying about it, but whatever -- I've grown accustomed to it. There are so many GOOD things about the new look too (like no barrage of apps every time you open someone's profile), that I'm starting to see the good outweighs the bad.

although, the app isnt brilliant. the chat doesnt work.

Facebook chat has never worked well, on the web or the iPhone app. :(

bigrash

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
could be any day now! its been exactly a week since he submitted the app! since this is a big app i hope Apple doesn't take a long time to get it out!

they wrote this on the 16th:
The good news is, I plan to submit the update to the iPhone App Store a week from today.
That means they're probably submitting it around today.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
man that sucks... well I hope apple can approve it within a few hours, since it's a high profile app!

Apple if you're reading this, please approve it!

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I doubt it. I also doubt that Facebook will submit within "a week from the 16th," which was yesterday. Never trust timelines. It will be a week to three weeks from now before we get it.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
He is planning on submitting it to Apple tonight. (He commented on his original post on facebook with the release timeline.)...
Nice find! Maybe there is hope that Apple will expedite the approval process for this figuring they have worked pretty well with Facebook in the past (even featured their web app as a full ad last year). Even though I am sure that if they did this it would upset the thousands of other developers around here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.