Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aespana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2020
Hello guys,

After a June month of a lot of things that happened to me, since a crazy delay of clients payments in the job to a really sad robbery that I suffered with the lost of my loved iPhone 13 Mini (beautiful iPhone), I ended with a iPhone SE OG 16GB.

I tried an iPhone 7+ that my dad left after updated to an iPhone 11 and a Pixel 4a that I purchased in December to try a clean Android, I ended with an iPhone SE 16GB stored a long ago in a box. The iPhone 7+ is just to big for me and the Pixel is really good but man, I just can't with Android.

This thing is insane. It have a headphone jack (really missed it), it's just like an iPhone Mini Mini. You can't feel it in your pockets. Yeah, the screen is really small to do anything on it but that is part of his magic, you will use it less (I also have a Macbook and a iPad so, I can use them).

Works good with a few apps due to storage (16GB on this days just doesn't works fine) but well.

Is there any user of this phone? Any crazy iPhone SE OG users like me out there?

nnc

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2023
I never had any SE, but I had and loved a 5 which I gave away years ago. I recently acquired another 5 which can no longer be used as a phone on my network in the US. (I know the SE had updated components.) As a piece of hardware, the 5 is just beautiful. Other than very poor battery life, it seems functional so I will try to give it a purpose in my home.

Reactions: v0lume4 and aespana

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Still using mine, but its my "second" phone now that has are being used as a company phone.
Now, being in IT I have decided to block all iOS devices on iOS 16.5 and below so I have locked myself out :-D

But, this last update seem to affect battery life a bit and together with a fairly worn battery its time to move on.
Currently looking at getting a 13 mini as a replacement.

Hopefully the new SE(4) being released sometime in the future may be built on the 13 mini plattform but with USB-C and updated internals but the same formfactor. I would see that as a good worthy SE productline update :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My son has an SE. Bought it new for his birthday in 2017 I think. But he's using an SE2 now which I got him in March 2021. My daughter has the SE2 as well.

He kept his old SE though. No idea what he does with it but I will periodically see it show up on our home network.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
IMG_1269.jpeg

I was crazy enough to use a 16GB OGSE as a daily driver from mid-April 2022 to mid-January 2023. I already had a perfectly usable 12 Mini but felt like I didn’t want to miss out on such an iconic phone as I never had the opportunity to own a 5, 5S or SE when they were new.

The 16GB space is a hard limit to maintain however I was mostly fine because I streamed 100% of my video and music content and did not require much space for anything other than some applications and photographs. I would normally have went for a 32GB phone however, because I wanted a brand new OGSE, I didn’t have a choice as there were no new/sealed versions of the phone with more space available.

I now use a regular 13 which is obviously a FAR superior phone, but I still miss the OGSE which is back in its box and in storage. The A9 chip is very capable on iOS 15 and I did not experience much slowdown on web-browsing or general scrolling around the UI. The OGSE is capable of anything newer phones can do so I doubt you will feel like you’re missing out with the downgrade.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
It’s my daily driver and has had two iFixit battery replacements. That it’s still getting security updates is terrific. iOS 15 performance was a little slow at first (I only updated to 15 a few months ago) but I barely notice slowness now.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
But, this last update seem to affect battery life a bit and together with a fairly worn battery its time to move on.
Currently looking at getting a 13 mini as a replacement.
For me it wasn't iOS 15.0 or 15.1 itself, but possibly 15.2 that radically took a toll on the battery. Tbh I really cannot remember the exact version number that affected an only 1 yr old battery ( Apple installed).

So after 6 yrs OG SE I'm since, start of the year, using a 13 Mini. It just seems like such a natural progression. Fabulous device that still doesn't pull the shorts down in summer.

Never Again

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
I got into Smartphones very late, 2018 or so, and still use the SE I got then, already used. Replaced the battery with stuff from iFixit myself, only screws and care necessary there.

But I barely use it compared to other people. I read messages, sometimes take pictures, do some 2FA. Most of the time it is lying in my home. Otherwise I think I would not be able to stand the tiny display (the few times I type on it I hit so many wrong letters it's infuriating) and the weak battery. Oh and the lousy camera (compared to newer phones)!

I remember how much I adored it when I first got it though <3

Reactions: Ajungi and aespana

Never Again

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
It’s my daily driver and has had two iFixit battery replacements. That it’s still getting security updates is terrific. iOS 15 performance was a little slow at first (I only updated to 15 a few months ago) but I barely notice slowness now.
when you say daily driver, how many hours of screen-on time do you get?
Being able to replace the battery fairly easily was why I bought it used for my mom, my best friend, another friend and me, all used. Sadly those times are in the past.

Reactions: aespana

acidburn

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2006
I don't have one, but I had a 6S that I still miss. It was the last with a headphone jack, it was super slim, and in the beginning the battery life was amazing. I can't remember which iOS ruined its battery life, but that was when I struggled to replace it as iPhones were getting larger and more expensive. I'm ok with a regular 12 but I really miss these smaller phones and the headphone jack.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello guys,

After a June month of a lot of things that happened to me, since a crazy delay of clients payments in the job to a really sad robbery that I suffered with the lost of my loved iPhone 13 Mini (beautiful iPhone), I ended with a iPhone SE OG 16GB.

I tried an iPhone 7+ that my dad left after updated to an iPhone 11 and a Pixel 4a that I purchased in December to try a clean Android, I ended with an iPhone SE 16GB stored a long ago in a box. The iPhone 7+ is just to big for me and the Pixel is really good but man, I just can't with Android.

This thing is insane. It have a headphone jack (really missed it), it's just like an iPhone Mini Mini. You can't feel it in your pockets. Yeah, the screen is really small to do anything on it but that is part of his magic, you will use it less (I also have a Macbook and a iPad so, I can use them).

Works good with a few apps due to storage (16GB on this days just doesn't works fine) but well.

Is there any user of this phone? Any crazy iPhone SE OG users like me out there?
The "not using it as much because it's small" element is oft overlooked. When shopping for my iPhone 13, I strongly considered the mini for its price tag ($100 is serious money when you're in between gigs), but ultimately decided against it due to how I knew I'd feel during the times I WAS using it. But the 13 mini is a great phone and I've been reminding people left and right that if they want an iPhone of this size, they better get it now while Apple still sells it!

sqeeezy

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
spain
I bought a used one because I was concerned I'd break my larger phone in my jeans pocket, with my long legs on my motorbike. Replaced the screen five times...now I've got a flip case...took me a while to learn. Used it for nav when on my bicycle, but need strong glasses to read the screen. It's a phone. Smart when I need it. I can live with the limitations.

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Yes, 64GB OG SE, although I only use it for calls, txt, mail, camera, music. iOS 12.4.1. I love the build quality and form factor. Easily pocketable. i have a Studio, older MBA and MBP, and prefer working on them rather than on tablets or phones.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The 2016 SE is my backup phone. Kinda funny to see it talked about as though it's a relic, not even a year ago it was still running the latest version of iOS and even now still gets regular security updates.

Reactions: aespana and klasma

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
The 2016 iPhone SE was my first smartphone! I loved its size, and later upgraded to the iPhone 13 mini I'm now using. What amazed me is that the iPhone 13 mini is no larger than the 2016 iPhone SE, and yet packs so much more screen for the same physical size. I've yet to upgrade to one of those larger phones. Both phones have been great. Enjoy!

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I've actually recently retired my faithful OG SE (64GB) after 6 yrs use.
My 70 ish neighbor did too. Convinced her to buy an iPhone 13 plus (loaned her my old iPhone 6s Plus and she liked the bigger screen. She was convinced she wouldn’t like FaceID but now loves it vs TouchID.

Me I’m using a se3.

RBelize

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
Belize
Completely hijacking the thread, but several people referenced iFixit batteries. Are they a recommended source? How has the experience been. My 11 has 75% health 🥺

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Hello guys,

Yes, I have an SE Space Grey 32 GB as a backup phone. My daily driver is a 13 mini. Both are great little wonders!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.