Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
The 2016 iPhone SE was my first smartphone! I loved its size, and later upgraded to the iPhone 13 mini I'm now using. What amazed me is that the iPhone 13 mini is no larger than the 2016 iPhone SE, and yet packs so much more screen for the same physical size. I've yet to upgrade to one of those larger phones. Both phones have been great. Enjoy!
The 13 mini is larger than the SE. It’s noticeable sometimes, for me when I’m riding a bike with either phone in my jeans’ back pocket.

Reactions: aespana and klasma

oreganoinferno

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
I have it, I love it and I NEVER want to replace it. Once security becomes a big issue and app support fades out, I'll "upgrade", or as I would say: "downgrade but with newer software and hardware". I wish Apple would do another edition with current chips, in this size that can run for 5-8-10 years or so.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The 2016 iPhone SE was my first smartphone! I loved its size, and later upgraded to the iPhone 13 mini I'm now using. What amazed me is that the iPhone 13 mini is no larger than the 2016 iPhone SE, and yet packs so much more screen for the same physical size. I've yet to upgrade to one of those larger phones. Both phones have been great. Enjoy!
IMG_4002.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg

The first picture has the OGSE next to a 12 Mini. There isn’t too much of a difference but the Mini is definitely larger.

The second and third pictures have the OGSE next to my regular 13. It took me a while to get used to the size difference as the 13 felt more like a phablet than a phone and was much more challenging to get in and out of my pockets.

Both phones are also considerably heavier than the OGSE.

Last edited:

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
I have always liked the iPhone SE line. All models (other than the SE2).

Now the iPhone 5c on the other hand…that was horrible….

Reactions: aespana

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I stopped using my SE for my backup phone/line earlier this year. Then after a couple months in the drawer I temporarily pulled it out to use. And noticed the battery was swollen. So returned to Apple for recycling.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Our two household iPhones are the 2016 iPhone SE. They replaced our two iPhone 4s. (That's iPhone 4 plural, not 4S. 😎)

They're going strong, do all we need them to do, and work well. Long battery life, decent camera, and great form factor.

If we're crazy, we're crazy as a fox! ✅ 💫 📱

Reactions: aespana and Andeddu

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Completely hijacking the thread, but several people referenced iFixit batteries. Are they a recommended source? How has the experience been. My 11 has 75% health 🥺
Fixit used to get good reviews but from what I hear, it's also a hit and miss now. Theoretically, you should get better service when something goes wrong but it's on you to realize something is wrong.

Personally, I went with apple to replace my 8+ battery. Runs like new and lasts several days between charges. The peace of mind alone is worth the extra cost. I replaced my 5S battery manually and it lasted about a year before it started acting up - for 1/3 the cost of apple. My 8+ battery lasted 5 years before it started struggling. The math just doesnt add up for these 3rd party knock off batteries.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
The 13 mini is larger than the SE. It’s noticeable sometimes, for me when I’m riding a bike with either phone in my jeans’ back pocket.
The first picture has the OGSE next to a 12 Mini. There isn’t too much of a difference but the Mini is definitely larger.

The second and third pictures have the OGSE next to my regular 13. It took me a while to get used to the size difference as the 13 felt more like a phablet than a phone and was much more challenging to get in and out of my pockets.

Both phones are also considerably heavier than the OGSE.
You both raise a good point. I forgot to mention that my memory of using both phones includes using both of them with OtterBox cases. You might not believe me, but the 2016 iPhone SE in a 2016 OtterBox case was the same size as a 2021 iPhone 13 mini in a 2021 OtterBox case. So I suppose part of the reason why my iPhone 13 mini ended up being the same size was partly due to OtterBox cases becoming so much smaller!

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I have the 2022 SE. If the original SE form factor had still been available, I would have purchased it instead. I like for my phone to be a companion device. A little sidekick for my life. These small, one handed phones are just that. Go too big and you lose that feeling.

I recently played around with my old iPhone 5 (same form factor as the original SE in the OP) and yearned to have a full time phone that size. I love it.

I agree that there is less of a desire to stay on your phone too long because of the size. That’s a HUGE positive in my book.

Prior to this SE, I had a Nexus 6P. Large phone. Originally, I could not wait to go back to Android after purchasing this SE. I held out all year for the Pixel 7. I bought the Pixel and then… returned it. Why? Solely because I realized wasn’t ready to abandon this one-handed form factor yet. For me, that really said something. A TRUE one-handed phone. Imagine that. All the more true in your case with the original SE.

Last edited:

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I bought a used SE 128GB a few years ago as a backup. Coconut says battery capacity is at 37%, while the iOS battery health indicator says it’s at 95% 😆.

I’d like to replace the battery soon since the battery is shot. It’s still a good phone otherwise.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I bought a used SE 128GB a few years ago as a backup. Coconut says battery capacity is at 37%, while the iOS battery health indicator says it’s at 95% 😆.

I’d like to replace the battery soon since the battery is shot. It’s still a good phone otherwise.
37%?!

I met a girl that had an SE and her battery bank was basically perma-attached to that phone. Like when she’d hand me the phone to show me something, she’d hand me the phone and the battery bank together.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
Had it and loved it to pieces. Then Apple killed it with a software update that sucked down the battery so quick you could watch the percentage numbers fall second by second.
Ugh, indeed, same here. I wonder though, is it mostly iOS that is to blame or the aging battery? Sometimes I feel it would be fun to give it another go with a fresh battery, but if the improvements are minimal then it is not worth the investment.

aespana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2020
Wow, didn't excpect this amount of comments! Also, this amounts of OG users.

After 4 days of using mine, I can just say that is a little hard to use it. Battery is affected by the iOS and his capacity but well, if you use the phone with 2 hours of screen it last. The storage only allows me to have like 10 apps.
The performance is good for his old processor but definitely is not like the iPhone 13 Mini.

The size is a love/hate. Love because is really really small, you barely feel it in your pockets but so small that makes typing a hard experience.

Thank you guys for tell your stories with this phone. I envy those with the whit bezels.. just look so beautiful.

I'll try to use mine for a little longer and see. If not I'll just buy an SE 2020 second hand that are really inexpensive these days.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Ugh, indeed, same here. I wonder though, is it mostly iOS that is to blame or the aging battery? Sometimes I feel it would be fun to give it another go with a fresh battery, but if the improvements are minimal then it is not worth the investment.
It’s iOS. Had my mother’s iPhone 7 Plus battery replaced at the Apple Store. Even after the battery replacement, if only gets two hours SOT before it needs to be charged. Maybe three. Disgusting.

Ask me why I’m still on iOS 15.7 on my 2022 SE. Go ahead. :)

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Wow, didn't excpect this amount of comments! Also, this amounts of OG users.

After 4 days of using mine, I can just say that is a little hard to use it. Battery is affected by the iOS and his capacity but well, if you use the phone with 2 hours of screen it last. The storage only allows me to have like 10 apps.
The performance is good for his old processor but definitely is not like the iPhone 13 Mini.

The size is a love/hate. Love because is really really small, you barely feel it in your pockets but so small that makes typing a hard experience.

Thank you guys for tell your stories with this phone. I envy those with the whit bezels.. just look so beautiful.

I'll try to use mine for a little longer and see. If not I'll just buy an SE 2020 second hand that are really inexpensive these days.
The battery life on the 2022 SE is killer. Highly recommend, if you can stretch the budget. This is my experience on 15.7. I’m sure they ship with iOS 16 now. On a full charge I’ll get 6+ hours screen on time. It’s a two day phone for me.

Jage

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
I have a space grey one sealed in a box. Used a white 5 for many years and I’d say it’s been my favourite iPhone to date (3GS, 4, 5, 6+,7+,X, SE (6 body), and 13 Pro).

Reactions: MrAperture

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
My daughter just grudgingly gave up her original SE last week. She had the battery replaced by Apple a year ago but the SE was long in the tooth and she needed some work apps that wouldn't work on it. Sooooo... she got the new SE3. A little larger than the original, but not egregiously so. She's loving it now, especially that old school home button.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I enjoy finding so many folks in this thread still using such a small and old (!) phone as the 2016 SE… awesome… personally I have no desire for the headphone jack, so much time lost for me fiddling with the tangled up cord several times a day, when Airpods came out it was a no-brainer for me to go that way. Still, more power to those who have corded headphones, definitely one less battery to worry about charging.

Like several other posters, I’m on the 13 Mini, after several years with the larger SE (2020 I think)… both of those have been great and are the “next best thing” to having a size like the 2016 SE. Here’s hoping the smaller options will stick around! — I suspect Apple won’t go back to as small as the old SE anytime soon, given they have 3 versions of the SE now, I feel like the chances of _some_ smaller option will always be around.

Loving the size and features of my 13 Mini, just wish for USB C to have one less cord type to deal with… and of course the battery is nothing special, but most days it suffices for me. I wish Apple would figure out how to let phones use Maps w/o such extreme battery drain, that and streaming web radio stations are my 2 main battery killers.

Agree with OP that the 2016 size, shape, and more is really close to perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.