Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Well guys, I'm out with the SE. My journey is over.

The size of the phone is crucial and really annoying to type on it. And the battery just doesn't last enough.

I'm using again my 7+ and just wait for a momento to get a 12/13 Mini again and move forward
What will you do with your OGSE?

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Well guys, I'm out with the SE. My journey is over.

The size of the phone is crucial and really annoying to type on it. And the battery just doesn't last enough.

I'm using again my 7+ and just wait for a momento to get a 12/13 Mini again and move forward

Surprisingly enough I didn’t even have trouble using my bfs keyboards after using pro max sizes the last two years. I sort of miss the one handed use lol. But like everything else you said it definitely is a hassle adjusting.

aespana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2020
The OGSE is pretty tough to get used to especially if you’ve been on much larger regular or plus sized phones. It is the reason you’ve mentioned that Apple will never go back to a 4” display again. Even the poor Mini was unpopular due to its small size by today’s standards.

Ah well, I’d advise you to purchase a new 13 Mini from Apple while you still can to ensure that the battery health is at 100%.
Yeah, the problem is that is actually really really small. Even coming from a 12/13 Mini.

I'll try to get a 13 Mini this year because i really like it and well, it's destiny is to die.

aespana

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2020
What will you do with your OGSE?
I'll keep it as a backup phone when I need a small device for a show or concert, etc. It works well after all.
Surprisingly enough I didn’t even have trouble using my bfs keyboards after using pro max sizes the last two years. I sort of miss the one handed use lol. But like everything else you said it definitely is a hassle adjusting.
Really? My hands are big but I like small phones.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I inherited a 6 in 2019, which I think is the same as the orig SE. used it up until last year, when its old OS quit working with MS’s many systems of 18-factor authentication required every damn day to access our university email & unlock the door. …I then upgraded. …to a family members old 8. The lack of headphone jack makes me sure i will never buy an iphone again. Everywhere I go, theres something this stupid high capacity phone full of music can’t play into. And all this continual frustration just so Apple could axe yet another component from the product & save 5 cents per unit to shine up their shareholders report. I’ll go back to the 6 as soon as I’m thru at this uni.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
w see
I inherited a 6 in 2019, which I think is the same as the orig SE. used it up until last year, when its old OS quit working with MS’s many systems of 18-factor authentication required every damn day to access our university email & unlock the door. …I then upgraded. …to a family members old 8. The lack of headphone jack makes me sure i will never buy an iphone again. Everywhere I go, theres something this stupid high capacity phone full of music can’t play into. And all this continual frustration just so Apple could axe yet another component from the product & save 5 cents per unit to shine up their shareholders report. I’ll go back to the 6 as soon as I’m thru at this uni.
The OGSE is equivalent to the 6S. The 6 is a very dated phone by todays standards with a much slower chipset than the OGSE. It is also unsupported which is why you are unable to use it with your universitity’s 18 factor authentication.

One of my iPads is a 4 Mini which possesses the same A8 as the 6 and it’s as slow a treacle compared to the A9.

Reactions: Saturn007

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
he 6 is a very dated phone by todays standards with a much slower chipset than the OGSE. It is also unsupported which is why you are unable to use it with your universitity’s 18 factor authentication.
Thanks for telling me, I had no idea the phone wasn’t a current supported model that has a chipset just as fast as an iphone 14, and I thought maybe it was the underpants gmomes making the Authenticator app not work. Yes, thank you for helping me through this difficult time.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Love my SE. Perfect backup phone in case my main phone stops working unsuspectingly.
Runs well enough on the latest version of iOS (though the battery life isn't the best).

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Thanks for telling me, I had no idea the phone wasn’t a current supported model that has a chipset just as fast as an iphone 14, and I thought maybe it was the underpants gmomes making the Authenticator app not work. Yes, thank you for helping me through this difficult time.
Glad you’re aware now that the 6 you have is does not possess the same chipset as the SE. I always try my best to educate the uneducated.

Reactions: Saturn007

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC

I mean most phones nowadays don’t have a headphone Jack. Just buy a cheap pair of headphone jacks. Seeing as ubiquitous as iPhones are, I can’t imagine it having difficulties with most system wireless if you are trying to connect it to a car or other Bluetooth system.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I use an iPhone 5c and honestly I love it, it’s perfect to use caseless because it’s a lot more sturdy with the plastic enclosure, and it’s far more comfortable and less slippery. It isn’t fast, but I can overlook that, too comfortable. Battery life is decent, even if the device is like 9 years old, which surprised me, but this is definitely due to iOS 10, 32-bit devices have great battery life even if updated.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I received my OGSE and cannot get it up and running just yet. I have two problems; 1. I’ve converted to e-sim, but I also have my physical sim from T-Mobile. Does that mean that my physical SIM card is useless now? 2. I cannot backup the OGSE via iCloud or transfer from phone options due to being on iOS 15.7.7 (I’m assuming). That’s fine. I can deal with adding the apps I need to function daily. I just need to phone to work as a phone. Any suggestions?

A little more info; I do not have a MAC. I have an iPad and a 13 mini.

5gsumdae

macrumors member
May 4, 2020
Had the OG SE and was a great phone.

I would always use it in landscape mode as the screen width in landscape would be as wide as a larger phone.

It was also great for taking skiing videos, easy to hold on to. Tuck my poles under an arm and ski down the slope holding the phone in front of me.

Wore out the lightning port and moved to an 11.

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
So after some apps, most notably for banking, no longer worked and could not be updated, I finally took the plunge and upgraded my SE from 12.4.1 to 15.8. I turned off everything related to Siri, iCloud, and background processing except on core apps (a Mini server syncs all my LAN devices). Aside from daily battery life being a tad shorter, it's been fine. I had considered replacing it with a used 13 mini but I'll now keep using the SE until 15.8 becomes inconveniently outdated.

Reactions: geta

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Yes still using the 2016 SE here - it does everything including Apple Pay, banking apps, car sharing etc etc.
It's the only iPhone I can use truly one-handed so I'm not giving it up until I'm forced to.

Battery goes for 1.5 days and it's great that it doesn't have ridiculous bumps and notches all over the place.
With a bit of care, it even makes great photos, without all the weird post-processing Apple puts in to it's newer models.

The small keyboard doesn't bother me, especially as keyboard swiping and predictive works well.

I'll probably switch to a folding Android when Apple finally kills it off.

StageMomma

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2019
South Carolina
I had to use my SE 2016 for a few days while waiting for a new phone. It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Honestly, the only downside O had was with the storage. Mine only has 32GB of storage available and I couldn’t have as much saved to the phone. Other than that, it was completely usable.

Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.