Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doeman

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
After the latest update (10.15.4) everything is much better. No more artifacts and performance is fine. Just small lags when switching desktops. Everything else is fine.
Interesting! Are you saying Nvidia performance is now better on the latest Catalina version than on any Mojave version? And how does it compare to High Sierra.

Personally I'm still on High Sierra which works quite ok compared to Sierra but with daily graphics glitches where the system freezes for a brief moment.

AGulev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
Interesting! Are you saying Nvidia performance is now better on the latest Catalina version than on any Mojave version? And how does it compare to High Sierra.

Personally I'm still on High Sierra which works quite ok compared to Sierra but with daily graphics glitches where the system freezes for a brief moment.

Everything was perfect in Sierra.
It was barely usable on High Sierra and Mojave.

It's OK-ish on the latest Mojave. Rare glitches and artifacts, but much better than on High Sierra or Mojave.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

It's OK-ish on the latest Mojave. Rare glitches and artifacts, but much better than on High Sierra or Mojave.

My MBP is still on Sierra. Is there noticeable difference between the latest Mojave and Sierra?

AGulev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
My MBP is still on Sierra. Is there noticeable difference between the latest Mojave and Sierra?
For my OLD MBP, yes it is noticeable.
1593118369236.png

Reactions: AnonMac50

doeman

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010

I guess you mean Catalina. :) Thanks for letting us know! And that is the out-of-the-box experience on Catalina without hacks?

Do we have any theory how graphics could improve? I was under the impression that since Nvidia hardware drivers were banned in Mojave (and Catalina) it would be snappier working in High Sierra with its support for official (beta) Nvidia web drivers. But maybe Apple made some improved generic drivers?

AGulev

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
I guess you mean Catalina. :) Thanks for letting us know! And that is the out-of-the-box experience on Catalina without hacks?
Yes, Sorry. Catalina ofc.

Unfortenatly I don't know anything about it, sorry.

doeman

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, Sorry. Catalina ofc.
Unfortenatly I don't know anything about it, sorry.
It'll be interesting to see how Big Sur compares. At least now I know I can update from High Sierra to Catalina without the increased lag I expected. Thanks.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Before I sold my MBP 15" 2014 everything works great on Catalina.
Currently I'm on hackintosh and will wait for Apple Silicon models.

mstipic

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
So, any news on 4k external screen using with 750M on Catalina?
I'm interested in buying used Late 2013 with Nvidia DG and I have 4k monitor.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010

tried it and it worked fine on mine... however unless you'd like to run Mavericks I'd suggest you get 2015 model instead, 2013/2014 models are last Nvidia GPU MacBook Pro's and might get axed soon

having said that mine is still going strong (about to replace SSD with SSUBX version) but when I'm behind desk I always use eGPU to help the machine breath a bit (have Kepler Titan GPU)

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
On mine it was good at first, but now it slows down horribly when I use any "heavy" app with the 4k monitor connected :(
Sometimes even YT videos trigger this...

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
I'll answer this myself: it doesn't work.
So I gave Monterey (installed via OCLP) and it did the trick! Thankfully it includes the updated nvidia's driver,

Update: it did it again.

Is this a lost cause?

What should I do?

It's not a major problem, I'm more annoyed by the battery which is almost dead, but it's ridiculous that Apple never fixed this. It started in 2017 on expensive machines that were barely 3 years old!
I'm quite disilluded by Apple, and not only for this. When the time comes to finally replace my MBP, I don't feel like buying a new Mac: what guarantees that it won't develop similar bugs or other serious defects in a few years?

I also looked at used ones but their prices are absurd, any decent one will cost almost as much as a new one which would run circles around it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.