Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I tried it and got these messages

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc44090d8f0 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "WhateverGreen.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.WhateverGreen" }

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc43ed381c0 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }

KernelCache ID: 7EB933413E17A011F8155EF72D677FA5

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc30f4150b0 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }

Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc311a48870 [0x7fff863638f0]> { URL = "WhateverGreen.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.WhateverGreen" }

Any ideas?

It's telling you those kexts are not signed. But they are allowed (you probably have SIP disabled). Since it's allowed, there should be any problem.

Reactions: A99

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
What do you mean? How to fix them? I only deactivated SIP.

Code:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext

Reactions: A99

A99

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Code:

Hm.. weird I did it before & it didn't work but now it does, Thank you!

Reactions: leventozler

fuerst2

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
Germany
Is there any way to prove that the kexts are working? They're loaded but I'm not seeing any performance improvement...

At Mojave you need to add -wegbeta to the Kernel boot arguments. That's needed to enable WhateverGreen (v1.2.4) above MacOS 10.13.

Code:
# Check for boot arguments currently in place
nvram -p | fgrep boot-args

# Add -wegbeta and current arguments if any, separated by 1 space.
# Example with only -wegbeta:
sudo nvram bootargs="-wegbeta" 

# Recheck new settings

If it looks fine reboot.

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
At Mojave you need to add -wegbeta to the Kernel boot arguments. That's needed to enable WhateverGreen (v1.2.4) above MacOS 10.13.

Code:

# Recheck new settings

If it looks fine reboot.

10.14 is supported by default since last July. No need to add -wegbeta argument.

fuerst2

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
Germany
With macOS 10.14.2 out now - nothing changed. Still the same UI lags as before and it still is necessary to have WhateverGreen installed to use my Macbook Pro together with an external 4k display.

calvinchan.hkg

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018

Code:

# Recheck new settings

If it looks fine reboot.

Hi,

Would you ming telling us about... in WHERE and HOW to put these above codes into MACOS ?

Are these codes needed to be put AFTER Lilu & Whatever green kexts are loaded? Or BEFORE loaded??

Are these codes needed to add into just inside "Terminal" Application, or need to reboot and added inside RECOVERY mode Terminal?

I have already disabled SIP, and successfully loaded Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts, but still not so much difference in speed.

Last edited:

fuerst2

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
Germany
Of course I wouldn't mind :) Would be good to have some experience though in using the Terminal.app and you should know how to reset things using single user mode.

And here is how it works: Open the Terminal.app and execute the 3 commands once. The boot args will be set permanently, no need to enter it again and again.

Nemphys

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
Is anybody else getting UI glitches (especially in browsers) at random times with the Lilu/Whatevergreen kexts enabled?
By glitches, I mean when a window rendering is garbled for a while and then DumpGPURestart is executed.
I thought the issue was solved, by I am getting quite a few of them lately and I am wondering if they are caused by my weird setup (custom EDID override file in order to achieve higher resolutions than the supported ones) or if it is common for everyone using WhateverGreen on Mojave.

fuerst2

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
Germany
I'm getting them too. It's not often and usually Safari is affected. Sometimes iTerm as well. I think I never saw this at Chrome. Mostly it helps to unplug the external monitor for some seconds an re-plug again. It's a real mess this whole situation :-(

Nemphys

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
I'm getting them too. It's not often and usually Safari is affected. Sometimes iTerm as well. I think I never saw this at Chrome. Mostly it helps to unplug the external monitor for some seconds an re-plug again. It's a real mess this whole situation :-(

Indeed, Safari is the worst, but I also get it in Chrome. I am thinking of reporting this to the WhateverGreen developers, just in case it is something they are not aware of (and might be able to fix). I just wanted to make sure I am not the only one with the problem.

CDNsb

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2018
Indeed, Safari is the worst, but I also get it in Chrome. I am thinking of reporting this to the WhateverGreen developers, just in case it is something they are not aware of (and might be able to fix). I just wanted to make sure I am not the only one with the problem.

New here.

I rarely update my Apple products cause, inevitably, things go wrong. And then, Apple eventually makes it impossible to run current (the old versions already installed) software and I'm forced to update. That's where I am now. My MBP Mid 2012 and Mojave update - I had no idea all this black screen/slow drivers was going on. Now my computer is dead - nearly...of course, it's fine when I take it into the Genius bar. I don't know where I stand yet but they are not accepting that this is a hardware problem. My opinion, for everyone talking about a software issue, this is a hardware problem - at least, if you want Apple to fix it. It comes down to Apple essentially making their own products redundant. There must be some sort of Law against that. Staying with Sierra is not an option. Soon, software will get updated and current versions won't be relevant anymore. That's fine if you work in a silo but I need to use files created by other people in other versions and people need to work with my files. And, like Apple, companies just stop supporting the old software - especially in a day of software 'rental' vs purchase. So, Sierra is not an option and Apple has created this issue, they should be fixing it.

Currently, Apple phone support has 'ok'd' my repair/replacement under the old programme - that somehow I missed completely. The local store is (for some reason) fighting it. I'm not even going to get into my Genius Bar experience over the past 5 hours... Only 12 days till it's no longer supported. In my opinion, you have to push to get the newest GPU installed or you're holding a door stop. Even if the fix isn't completely there, at least you're not completely stuck when it's vintaged.

Of course, replacing the computer is an option but, if you're like me and have been watching the price of computers and the benchmarks of your existing computer, you're questioning the $4,000 'investment'. Somehow these mid 2012 MBP's are pretty good machines, even compared to current models. Next year, an upgrade might make sense.
[doublepost=1545262236][/doublepost]Oh, and one
New here.

I rarely update my Apple products cause, inevitably, things go wrong. And then, Apple eventually makes it impossible to run current (the old versions already installed) software and I'm forced to update. That's where I am now. My MBP Mid 2012 and Mojave update - I had no idea all this black screen/slow drivers was going on. Now my computer is dead - nearly...of course, it's fine when I take it into the Genius bar. I don't know where I stand yet but they are not accepting that this is a hardware problem. My opinion, for everyone talking about a software issue, this is a hardware problem - at least, if you want Apple to fix it. It comes down to Apple essentially making their own products redundant. There must be some sort of Law against that. Staying with Sierra is not an option. Soon, software will get updated and current versions won't be relevant anymore. That's fine if you work in a silo but I need to use files created by other people in other versions and people need to work with my files. And, like Apple, companies just stop supporting the old software - especially in a day of software 'rental' vs purchase. So, Sierra is not an option and Apple has created this issue, they should be fixing it.

Currently, Apple phone support has 'ok'd' my repair/replacement under the old programme - that somehow I missed completely. The local store is (for some reason) fighting it. I'm not even going to get into my Genius Bar experience over the past 5 hours... Only 12 days till it's no longer supported. In my opinion, you have to push to get the newest GPU installed or you're holding a door stop. Even if the fix isn't completely there, at least you're not completely stuck when it's vintaged.

Of course, replacing the computer is an option but, if you're like me and have been watching the price of computers and the benchmarks of your existing computer, you're questioning the $4,000 'investment'. Somehow these mid 2012 MBP's are pretty good machines, even compared to current models. Next year, an upgrade might make sense.

Oh, and one more thing...I found a list of GPU's that either were or weren't supported and I thought that was on the Apple site. I have the nvidia GT 650M. Now, I can't find it, only the Mac Pro list. Does anyone have that. The "Genius" at the store said, "I challenge you to find it". That's a quote. Of course, I can't.

keebarber

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks for the tip jddh

Downloaded latest release zip files from

https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

(both are 10.14 compatible, and don't require beta flag now), moved kext files to /System/Library/Extensions (/Library/Extensions did not work, and SIP was already off), and corrected permissions and ownerships:

Code:

make sure that the extensions are 'loaded.'

View attachment 793413

I can't believe the difference, what the hell Apple!? mojave was almost unusable without the web drivers, but now it's even faster than Sierra.

At work, I was just given an upgrade from a mid-2014 15" 2.2ghz MBP with just the Iris Graphics to the same year and size with the 2.5ghz and GT 750m and noticed immediate lag when switching spaces and using Chrome (Web Dev w/many windows and tabs). Decided I needed to try something, and Lilu + WhateverGreen fixed 95% of the problem on 10.14.2 and took about 2 minutes to do.

Thanks for posting!

Reactions: leventozler

aeharding

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2018
I just tried the latest WhateverGreen+Lilu extensions on my Late 2013 Macbook with Nvidia graphics, 10.4.2 and got a kernel panic.

Anyone else seen this? Got into a reboot loop (had to go to recovery mode and remove the extensions).

sosyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
I just tried the latest WhateverGreen+Lilu extensions on my Late 2013 Macbook with Nvidia graphics, 10.4.2 and got a kernel panic.

Anyone else seen this? Got into a reboot loop (had to go to recovery mode and remove the extensions).

Yeah, same here on my mid 2014 MacBook Pro. I had to revert to the previous versions I had installed to get it working again (WhateverGreen 1.2.3 and Lilu 1.2.7).

aeharding

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2018
WOW! Thanks @sosyn. Using Lilu 1.2.7 + WhateverGreen 1.2.3 improves my external display performance a ton. Especially with YouTube.

Note to those wanting to do this: Disable SIP *before* moving whatevergreen/lilu to the proper directories, otherwise they won't be loaded (even if you turn off sip after).

Last edited:

sosyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
WOW! Thanks @sosyn. Using Lilu 1.2.7 + WhateverGreen 1.2.3 improves my external display performance a ton. Especially with YouTube.

Note to those wanting to do this: Disable SIP *before* moving whatevergreen/lilu to the proper directories, otherwise they won't be loaded (even if you turn off sip after).

Yeah, I agree. Mojave + WhateverGreen is actually usable again. I skipped High Sierra altogether.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Same here! I must stop using those kexts. Plus latest 2 versions of WhateverGreen not booting anyway. I tried contact developers on support forums, but without help .

Bakuda

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2019
I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GPU. About 6 months ago I made the move from El Capitan to High Sierra and eventually Mojave. I, like everyone else, noticed how overworked my GPU is, especially when using my external monitors. I found this thread and gave the kexts a try. I was amazed by how much they helped! My macbook was like brand new all over again! Unfortunately, with the new kexts my built in display will not wake up after my mac has gone to sleep. My external displays wake up and if I shine a light into the built in display I can see something there, but the backlight is not lighting and the display is unusable. The only way to fix it is to reboot the computer. I've tried resetting the SMC but that didn't fix it. Eventually I had to uninstall the kexts and go back to my slow, overworked GPU. To everyone who has successfully installed Lilu + Whatevergreen: have you ever seen an issue like this and, if so, how can I fix it?

aeharding

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2018
@Bakuda I've experienced issues coming back from sleep - but usually only if my macbook is unplugged (from external monitor & from power). Since my macbook is usually plugged in it hasn't been as big an issue, and restarting the macbook only takes a few seconds if it does happen.

Also have experienced glitches with Chrome, usually when running Google Maps.

Overall though it's worth it to me. :)

gregwym

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2019
I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GPU. About 6 months ago I made the move from El Capitan to High Sierra and eventually Mojave. I, like everyone else, noticed how overworked my GPU is, especially when using my external monitors. I found this thread and gave the kexts a try. I was amazed by how much they helped! My macbook was like brand new all over again! Unfortunately, with the new kexts my built in display will not wake up after my mac has gone to sleep. My external displays wake up and if I shine a light into the built in display I can see something there, but the backlight is not lighting and the display is unusable. The only way to fix it is to reboot the computer. I've tried resetting the SMC but that didn't fix it. Eventually I had to uninstall the kexts and go back to my slow, overworked GPU. To everyone who has successfully installed Lilu + Whatevergreen: have you ever seen an issue like this and, if so, how can I fix it?

I tried Lilu 1.3.5 + WhateverGreen 1.2.8 and I experienced the same issue with my early-2013 MBPr GT 650M.
  1. The brightness control won't dim the built-in screen backlight.
  2. The built-in screen won't light up after resume from sleep.
Even I moved away WhateverGreen.kext and kept only Lilu.kext, I still had this issue. So it seems a problem of Lilu.

sulphur27

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
@Bakuda I've experienced issues coming back from sleep - but usually only if my macbook is unplugged (from external monitor & from power). Since my macbook is usually plugged in it hasn't been as big an issue, and restarting the macbook only takes a few seconds if it does happen.

Also have experienced glitches with Chrome, usually when running Google Maps.

Overall though it's worth it to me. :)

As for Chrome try disabling hardware acceleration. I' running stock drivers now on 10.14.5 and when i'm without an external monitor it is smooth as before. Problem is the Chrome who constantly switches the graphics context.
As for external display stock drivers seems quite ok now (far better than before)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.