Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Being a software developer, my guess is the hardware guys saved $0.01 by removing a pull down resistor some where and it's unfixable short of never powering down the amps.
That’s a scary thought!

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
Being a software developer, my guess is the hardware guys saved $0.01 by removing a pull down resistor some where and it's unfixable short of never powering down the amps.

Man this seems so close to reality! It's frustrating and funny at the same time. They are cutting corners since 2015 on these models and the response time to issues like this is longer that ever. It took them almost 5 years to remove the butterfly keyboard and reconsider those thermals. I am suspecting that this specific issue is both hardware and software related and at the same time i wish i am wrong.

azr79

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2016
Yes I have the same issue when abruptly closing a video (youtube tab or other)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Man this seems so close to reality! It's frustrating and funny at the same time. They are cutting corners since 2015 on these models and the response time to issues like this is longer that ever. It took them almost 5 years to remove the butterfly keyboard and reconsider those thermals. I am suspecting that this specific issue is both hardware and software related and at the same time i wish i am wrong.
If this is hardware it’s going to explode with attention. I do not think it is hardware. It’s been exhibited in this thread that there are ways to make it stop. All of which are done by gimmicky software tricks.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
If this is hardware it’s going to explode with attention. I do not think it is hardware. It’s been exhibited in this thread that there are ways to make it stop. All of which are done by gimmicky software tricks.

All tricks are "don't power of the speakers, as doing so makes a pop". The speakers pop even with the sound muted.

Reactions: deadfire55

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
All tricks are "don't power of the speakers, as doing so makes a pop". The speakers pop even with the sound muted.
So you’re definitively saying this is hardware? Good luck on ever getting Apple to admit/fix something like this if true. So here we go again with another generation of MBP that no one should buy, just like the keyboard debacle.

Reactions: g75d3

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Since Apple fixed their own Apple Music poping issue with Mojave....its an software issue/firmware
If someone has this issue even with this sound muted....that could be an hardware issue

Danny Nava

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
I went to Best Buy the other day and tested their demos. The 16 inch, 15 inch and 13 inch all had the pop. The pop is more noticeable on the 16 inch though, I’m assuming it’s because the speakers are a lot louder than the other two

Reactions: Fishrrman

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Don't get your hopes up, they said the same things about the 2018 model which they never fixed.
When they said that about 2018?? I litterely tried ...and talk to the global apple support and never heard about them (Apple) to said they are aware and try to fix it
If "them" for you ...you mean the users...thats another case...and you are right..but Apple never said that in 2018

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I certainly hope that everyone is reporting this through all channels at Apple.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Mine did not have this problem until today. Also seems to have the same problem under Windows so perhaps it is hardware issue? Can anybody else test it under Bootcamp?
[automerge]1575232297[/automerge]
Do you guys also hear strange sound when shutting down the machine?
[automerge]1575232573[/automerge]
Another user with the same issue here: https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/dztbvh
This video is really good for reproducing the issue. I think it has something to do with the deep notes

Hearing the popping sound caused me stress when watching this relaxing video.

Should I keep my purchase of a higher end model on hold while watching how Apple is going to fix it? I can return my mid range machine first week of January.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Mine did not have this problem until today. Also seems to have the same problem under Windows so perhaps it is hardware issue? Can anybody else test it under Bootcamp?
[automerge]1575232297[/automerge]
Do you guys also hear strange sound when shutting down the machine?
[automerge]1575232573[/automerge]

Hearing the popping sound caused me stress when watching this relaxing video.

Should I keep my purchase of a higher end model on hold while watching how Apple is going to fix it? I can return my mid range machine first week of January.
Oh c’mon now. I’m not buying that people who have this issue don’t have it straight out of the box. Far too many people have replaced machines already and still have the issue. Not only that, but the demo models at the Apple Stores exhibit the problem as well. I think most people saying their machines “didn’t do it” and do now just didn’t notice until now or weren’t doing anything to cause it.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Oh c’mon now. I’m not buying that people who have this issue don’t have it straight out of the box. Far too many people have replaced machines already and still have the issue. Not only that, but the demo models at the Apple Stores exhibit the problem as well. I think most people saying their machines “didn’t do it” and do now just didn’t notice until now or weren’t doing anything to cause it.

It could be that I used to play the entire videos most of the time but after reading the thread, I interrupted the videos and noticed it. I don't remember what happened the past two weeks. If it happened right at the beginning, I would have complained long already.
[automerge]1575238850[/automerge]

But the sound also be heard under Windows bootcamp so it is hardware?
[automerge]1575239041[/automerge]
This issue has been going on since the first T2 macbook chip and Mojave was the same it’s not an issue with the new MacBooks, it’s so annoying

I hate T2 chip.
[automerge]1575239125[/automerge]
it does not work. also yes today i got the click like 5 times in bootcamp.
soo that confirms window and mac os. im pretty sure ive heard it through headphones but cant confirm that yet. i might just go exchange it and hope for the best. it seems some people may not have this issue. so.

So it means hardware issue.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Strangely speaking, no cracking and popping sound when playing the same video under Parallels Windows. Can anybody check please?

Under the Mac, I can hear cracking and popping sound on the same video several times but I have played it two times now and there is no issue. So sometimes it has problem but sometimes it doesn't.

I don't want to waste my time and money to beta test for Apple and Lenovo.

Last edited:

MalZH

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Hi

I can also reproduce this (Safari+YouTube+scrubbing) on my 2018 MBP 15" and I have also tested it in the Apple Store with the 16" model.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
** What I found out is that if you play this video inside a post, there is no popping nor cracking sound. However, if you copy the link and play it by opening a new window under Safari, you can hear those noise!

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Strangely speaking, no cracking and popping sound when playing the same video under Parallels Windows. Can anybody check please?

I tried this under Edge and Chrome with Parallels; Edge, no popping at all. Chrome, it popped every time I jumped around but not as loud as when I played this video within the thread under Safari/Catalina..

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I tried this under Edge and Chrome with Parallels; Edge, no popping at all. Chrome, it popped every time I jumped around but not as loud as when I played this video within the thread under Safari/Catalina..

Last edited:

deadfire55

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 7.21.56 PM.png

From here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250867287 but be sure to fill out the complaint form: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I noticed the same cracking sound when playing a video locally using IINA player. This also happens when you hit right arrow while playing, and a noticeable cracking sound can be heard almost every time the key is pressed.

I found a thread discussing this issues for previous models, and it seems Apple does not care too much, or at least they have not fixed it yet. If there are some lucky ones with no issue at all, then I might visit the Apple store to get it swapped. But I really do not want to go through all the hassles of installing all softwares and transferring data.

I hope everybody with a this new machine could test your unit, which can be done in one minute. I would appreciate it if you could post your test results in this thread. Thank you.
16 base unit and I do not have this issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.