Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

Danny Nava

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Any of y’all thinking about returning your 16 inch and waiting on the one with the rumored mini led display instead?

covedrop

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
No. Not even a second. There will always be a better future version Stay with your machine and be happy. ?

Basically this. I'm certain the speaker pop will eventually be fixed, it's not a question of should you return your current 16, it's whether you want to wait for the refresh or not. Then after that refresh, the question will be about the next one. It's all up to you.
[automerge]1575423569[/automerge]
Also, the senior tech advisor I spoke to last week just called me back and said when he escalated the issue, they informed him that they're already "heavily" looking into it and as soon as there is any information about what to do to rectify it, he's going to contact me directly.

Last edited:

SMC23

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
Are any recent owners that just got their MacBook expericnejng this issue? My return period is approaching and wondering if I should return until this gets sorted out.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Are any recent owners that just got their MacBook expericnejng this issue? My return period is approaching and wondering if I should return until this gets sorted out.
Have you read this thread or just skimmed it?

SMC23

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
Yeah I read it and have been running the QuickTime workaround in the background. It doesn’t completely resolve it though as I could still get the occasional random pop or hear it very very faintly.

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Basically this. I'm certain the speaker pop will eventually be fixed, it's not a question of should you return your current 16, it's whether you want to wait for the refresh or not. Then after that refresh, the question will be about the next one. It's all up to you.
[automerge]1575423569[/automerge]
Also, the senior tech advisor I spoke to last week just called me back and said when he escalated the issue, they informed him that they're already "heavily" looking into it and as soon as there is any information about what to do to rectify it, he's going to contact me directly.

I've seen numerous reports now of Apple advisors being aware of the issue. Hopefully, a fix is really in the works.

The Quicktime workaround works for me and completely eliminates the pop in FCPX and Chrome.

Reactions: GlenK and dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I've seen numerous reports now of Apple advisors being aware of the issue. Hopefully, a fix is really in the works.

The Quicktime workaround works for me and completely eliminates the pop in FCPX and Chrome.
I too sincerely hope Apple is on this. Would love to see a MR post acknowledging the issue. I wonder what 10.15.2 will bring?

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
I too sincerely hope Apple is on this. Would love to see a MR post acknowledging the issue. I wonder what 10.15.2 will bring?

I'm surprised too that MR is not reporting on this. I understand why YouTubers won't pick it up, but MR this would get a lot of clicks. I event pointed this thread out to a bunch of their admins and they didn't care :) Also sent it to 9to5Mac and they didn't care either :)

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I'm surprised too that MR is not reporting on this. I understand why YouTubers won't pick it up, but MR this would get a lot of clicks. I event pointed this thread out to a bunch of their admins and they didn't care :) Also sent it to 9to5Mac and they didn't care either :)
Makes no sense to me at all. I wonder why they tread lightly on stuff like this? It’s a very real issue. I would bet it affects every single new 16”. It’s just that some people simply don’t notice, or think it’s “normal”. It’s not normal and not acceptable. It’s sloppy and impossible to unhear once heard.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
It seems fairly clear that this is a SW issue, that will be fixed in the next release of Catalina. Even Apple has stated so,

Of course it may be irritating to some users, but it is hardly a "gate" or motivation to return you MBP.

Maybe we should be a bit patient.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
It seems fairly clear that this is a SW issue, that will be fixed in the next release of Catalina. Even Apple has stated so,

Of course it may be irritating to some users, but it is hardly a "gate" or motivation to return you MBP.

You're entitled to your opinion, but please do not speak for other people in regards to how big of a deal this is. To us pro audio people it is a HUGE ordeal, and if Apple doesn't fix it speedily it very much is a "gate".

Last edited:

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
You're entitled to your opinion, but please do not speak for other people in regards to how big of a deal this is. To us pro audio people it is a HUGE ordeal and if Apple doesn't fix it speedily it very much is a "gate".

I agree with you. I'm not even an audio pro and I only use FCPX periodically, however, I think this is a huge deal, especially considering the cost of these machines.

I know a lot of folks on here really like to drink the Apple Kool-aid, but this is unacceptable, especially on a pro device.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I don't plan to return my 16". I don't do anything like video editing/rendering and a pop when closing a video is something I can live with while waiting for a fix. Being patient however may not be the best choice for those who are bothered by the popping. Once you are past the Jan 8th return for any reason period, Apple is probably not going to easily give you a new computer or a refund when you take one in with this complaint. There was a similar speaker issue with the 2018 MacBook Pro that wasn't fixed quickly, if it ever was and some people spent a lot of time without their computer while it had speakers, top cases, etc replaced to no avail.

TQT

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
i returned mine today. I am not ready to spend €3,800 for a maybe sw fix in the future. besides that, my macbook made clicking noise 3-5 times per hour. impossible to reproduce the bug,.. it just happens :/

apple support couldnt help me either. i am coming from an early 2013 macbook pro 15 inch. prefer my oldtimer over this bug machine.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Apple has said nothing, only some claims about it is in the system. The same reports the 2018 has... The fix for that is coming any day now. Just like the safari reloading fix, how was that fixed, oh yeah, more ram in the later models. Mojave and windows pops too.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Apple has said nothing, only some claims about it is in the system. The same reports the 2018 has... The fix for that is coming any day now. Just like the safari reloading fix, how was that fixed, oh yeah, more ram in the later models. Mojave and windows pops too.
Excellent point. For some reason certain people miss the fact that these issues tend to linger for years. They don't get fixed with the "next release" of the current OS. They stick around OS to OS. This is not acceptable by any means. I am all for being optimistic, but there is optimism and then there's reality with Apple.

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
I just recived my macbook pro 16 (i9 version), and i have the same problem. I get the popping sound everytime i switch/change track on youtube,

Not really a big deal for me since im not a pro user, but im just affraid that this is something can do more damage over time, or if it´s software, i don´t really care.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
This happens on the 2018 15” MacBook pros also. I recall a thread on here about it, was called audio cracking or similar. It was never fully resolved after a year, they just made it less annoying. I had to turn off audio skimming in FCPX as it was driving me insane with all the popping when moving the cursor across a busy timeline with many clips. Still pops 50% of the time hitting play/pause. With 3.5mm headphones plugged in I don’t notice it. I don’t believe Apple will do anything to address it.

Reactions: dspdoc and g75d3

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
This happens on the 2018 15” MacBook pros also. I recall a thread on here about it, was called audio cracking or similar. It was never fully resolved after a year, they just made it less annoying. I had to turn off audio skimming in FCPX as it was driving me insane with all the popping when moving the cursor across a busy timeline with many clips. Still pops 50% of the time hitting play/pause. With 3.5mm headphones plugged in I don’t notice it. I don’t believe Apple will do anything to address it.
I tend to agree that Apple will not fix this. It is kind of humorous reading all the super optimistic people thinking that it will be fixed right away though. Makes me wonder how long they have been Apple customers, or if they have done any research. I would think that it would be an easy fix, but then again I just don't think Apple cares or listens. It is beyond frustrating that they seemingly expect their customers to just ignore it or find some kind of a wonky work around.

Reactions: g75d3

Danny Nava

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
So today I noticed my iPhone 11 Pro pops exactly like my 16” while scrolling through videos on YouTube

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes ios devices with ios 12-13 has this too
You can hear more often when you end an on speaker phone call

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Anyone get the feeling that the people voting ”no” on this poll are flat out lying to try and compensate for all the “yes” votes, or that they simply refuse to check for the issue using all the video examples given in the thread? Sorry, I’m just not buying that some machines do it and some don’t. That would mean it’s 100% a hardware issue. If that were the case Apple would really be in deep!

Reactions: fokmik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.