Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Already explained why the paranoia is unfounded. Again, this issue has been reported in older machines and OS before and yet hasn't been noticed by the vast majority of users outside of those who have read this thread. It's just not that noticeable or alarming to most people doing what they normally do. So there's not only a chance Youtubers didn't notice, but that would be normal.

Paranoia is natural but not rational, and in situations like this, not helpful. Focus on the issue and how to fix it, not lashing out at those who have't noticed it. That's a distraction and makes the complainers look bad.

• Haha
Reactions: dspdoc

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
It´s all over every websites now i believe. Macworld is also adressing this now.

Last edited:

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Couldn't agree with you more! It's so disappointing to see things like this continually and purposely glossed over. Corrupt really. Plausible deniability is lie.

I think we can all agree that the big-name YouTubers can't be trusted. They are out there for your entertainment and they are making a living off these videos. None of them will call out Apple for an issue and jeopardize their relationship and access to free hardware with early hands-on.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I think we can all agree that the big-name YouTubers can't be trusted. There are out there for your entertainment and they are making a living off these videos. None of them will call out Apple for an issue and jeopardize their relationship and access to free hardware with early hands-on.
No integrity in journalism in other words. It's pathetic and dishonest. Knowing there's a motive behind all of these cats is all the reason in the world to ignore them and not feed the pig.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Not for me. I tried beta 3 before returning my macbook and it didn't fix anything.
Thank you for reporting this. At least we know that there may be little hope of anything getting resolved in 10.15.2. If Apple's track record is anything to go off, they are more than likely to totally ignore it.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Just received MBP16 (2.4/64GB/1TB/5500M8GB) and it's silent so far. No popping issue at all and I’ve REALLY tried to trigger it. Not even happening via Adobe Premiere or Audition.

Another 10.15.2 beta was dropped, so hopefully a fix issued for those experiencing within 7-10 days.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Just received MBP16 (2.4/64GB/1TB/5500M8GB) and it's silent so far. No popping issue at all and I’ve REALLY tried to trigger it. Not even happening via Adobe Premiere or Audition.

Another 10.15.2 beta was dropped, so hopefully a fix issued for those experiencing within 7-10 days.
You've tried to make it happen following the very explicit instructions outlined in all the video demonstrations given here?

Try YouTube and FCPX by skipping back and forth in the video timeline while audio is playing at a decent level.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Holy cow guys...if it does it only when playing back audio in certain applications and not others, then there's no way it's hardware. This is just basic troubleshooting. ?

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
Already explained why the paranoia is unfounded. Again, this issue has been reported in older machines and OS before and yet hasn't been noticed by the vast majority of users outside of those who have read this thread. It's just not that noticeable or alarming to most people doing what they normally do. So there's not only a chance Youtubers didn't notice, but that would be normal.

Paranoia is natural but not rational, and in situations like this, not helpful. Focus on the issue and how to fix it, not lashing out at those who have't noticed it. That's a distraction and makes the complainers look bad.

I have also explained why there is no paranoia here. I am not trying to start a debate with you and i am not lashing out anyone. We are all on the same side here.

But to put some things into perspective, the OP created a poll, right? The question is “Does your 16 inch Macbook Pro have pop/crackling sound issue?”. His first post includes links and everything you need to replicate the issue.

All it takes to answer this question is 20 seconds to read those 5 lines and 20 seconds to perform a simple test. What’s the point to answer the question if you didn't go through these steps? That’s what anaudiobro said and it actually makes some sense, doesn’t it?

As for “focusing on the issue and how to fix it” i already said that the only way to get this fixed is to spread the word and make this popular not only to the existing users but also to people that are considering these laptops. This is the only way to push Apple into the right (for us, the consumers) direction, by creating some noise and showing that this level of quality control is unacceptable.

But statements like “It hasn't been noticed by the vast majority of users outside of those who have read this thread” don’t actually help towards this direction. This is not true at all. My thread on Apple discussions has already 3000 views and 100 problem reports and that’s only my own thread (there are almost 10 threads only there, maybe more). You can also find a dozen of these in reddit.

And what “widespread” means anyway? If an issue exists on all of these devices then it doesn’t matter if only 1 out of 4 users is having a hard time facing it. The problem exists all over the place so it’s widespread.

Am i being paranoid again?

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Correct but not on FCPX, I use Adobe.

Go to Spotlight and search for Audio MIDI Setup. Select the MacBook Pro Speakers and click "Configure Speakers" in the lower right corner. In the new window, click the little speaker icon next to Channel 1 and 2. You should hear a test sound coming from the left (Channel 1) and from the right (Channel 2) speakers. After the test sound has stopped playing you should hear a prominent "POP".

Make sure your volume is set to at least 50%.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Go to Spotlight and search for Audio MIDI Setup. Select the MacBook Pro Speakers and click "Configure Speakers" in the lower right corner. In the new window, click the little speaker icon next to Channel 1 and 2. You should hear a test sound coming from the left (Channel 1) and from the right (Channel 2) speakers. After the test sound has stopped playing you should hear a prominent "POP".

Yep, or simply fire up Safari, go to YouTube, play some videos with audio at a decent level and skip around in time. "Pop, pop, click, click..." ;)

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012

Also performed this test and there is no POP when the "static" test sound stops. Volume at MAX and also tested at less. I am not experiencing this issue and I know exactly what it sounds like.

• Haha

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Also performed this test and there is no POP when the "static" test sound stops. Volume at MAX and also tested at less. I am not experiencing this issue and I know exactly what it sounds like.

To be fair, if the pop is a specific sound frequency, not everyone will be able to hear it even if it's present on everyone's systems. People's hearing acuity varies.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Back to the topic, Macrumors now has an article up where they have access to a memo shared with Apple Authorized Service Providers:

"If a customer hears a popping sound when playback is stopped on their MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

When using Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, QuickTime Player, Music, Movies, or other applications to play audio, users may hear a pop come from the speakers after playback has ended. Apple is investigating the issue. A fix is planned in future software updates. Do not set up service, or replace the user's computer, as this is a software-related issue."

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
To be fair, if the pop is a specific sound frequency, not everyone will be able to hear it even if it's present on everyone's systems. People's hearing acuity varies.

I was 100% able to trigger on another MBP16 machine. I am not able to trigger on this one.

• Haha

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Back to the topic, Macrumors now has an article up where they have access to a memo shared with Apple Authorized Service Providers:

"If a customer hears a popping sound when playback is stopped on their MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

When using Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, QuickTime Player, Music, Movies, or other applications to play audio, users may hear a pop come from the speakers after playback has ended. Apple is investigating the issue. A fix is planned in future software updates. Do not set up service, or replace the user's computer, as this is a software-related issue."
Yayyyyyyy! Excellent news.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
I have had my base model for a week and didn’t notice any popping. Last night was watching a video on YouTube again and this time it actually made the popping sound. Not all the time though.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Am i being paranoid again?
Yes. Probably 99% of MBP owners don't usually read this forum or the Apple forums or any other about this kind of thing. You can't infer from the fact that there are now many people at forums like this who see these threads and then notice a problem that most people who haven't seen them notice anything. How many people in this thread have said they didn't notice it until they saw this thread?

As for people not following instructions to find the issue, what do you expect? Don't even have to read the first post to vote. And some who have followed the instructions still report no issue. It's not all as black and white as some prefer to think it is.

You still have't explained how it is that despite reports of this from last year, and reports from older machines and software now, that this is, according to you, so noticeable and alarming that most people would surely notice.

I think we can all agree that the big-name YouTubers can't be trusted. They are out there for your entertainment and they are making a living off these videos. None of them will call out Apple for an issue and jeopardize their relationship and access to free hardware with early hands-on.
Not based on what I've seen, which includes Youtubers who have been critical of Apple and past MBPs.

As I've pointed out before, some Youtubers receive free samples, and some do not. Some are fanboys, and some are not. Some prefer PCs. Even some who receive freebies from Apple have been critical of faults they've noticed before. It's not all the same, and the reviews can be quite useful.

This upgrade addresses things people have had issues with and improves performance, so it's natural that they're focused mainly on that and other basic performance matters, and are generally happy. Doesn't mean they're not reliable.

• Haha
Reactions: dmstasinos

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Yes. Probably 99% of MBP owners don't usually read this forum or the Apple forums or any other about this kind of thing. You can't infer from the fact that there are now many people at forums like this who see these threads and then notice a problem that most people who haven't seen them notice anything. How many people in this thread have said they didn't notice it until they saw this thread?

As for people not following instructions to find the issue, what do you expect? Don't even have to read the first post to vote. And some who have followed the instructions still report no issue. It's not all as black and white as some prefer to think it is.

You still have't explained how it is that despite reports of this from last year, and reports from older machines and software now, that this is, according to you, so noticeable and alarming that most people would surely notice.

Not based on what I've seen, which includes Youtubers who have been critical of Apple and past MBPs.

As I've pointed out before, some Youtubers receive free samples, and some do not. Some are fanboys, and some are not. Some prefer PCs. Even some who receive freebies from Apple have been critical of faults they've noticed before. It's not all the same, and the reviews can be quite useful.

This upgrade addresses things people have had issues with and improves performance, so it's natural that they're focused mainly on that and other basic performance matters, and are generally happy. Doesn't mean they're not reliable.
One thing that is certainly not reliable is your posts. LOL

Reactions: fokmik

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
If you have a reason against anything I've said, please give it. Otherwise, please stop making the people who are concerned about this look like paranoid fools.
Is paranoid the only word you can come up with? There's plenty wrong with you have said and it has already been pointed out to you time and again. You just don't want to listen. Your mind is made up. Move on. Stop watering things down. The issue is real. It is a big deal. If you only surf the web and do email then it doesn't apply to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.