Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Nice, too bad Apple forced you now through bugs to go Catalina...no fix for Mojave for 2018 macs

Last edited:
Reactions: dmstasinos

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
I just installed 10.15.2 (19C57) and most, but not all pops, are gone.

Chrome no longer pops when closing a tab and FCPX is fixed too. But when skimming through YouTube in Safari I still get an occasional pop.

Edit: YouTube in Safari is 100% not fixed. I get the pop every single time I click through the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: g75d3

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
Has anyone tried the last update on a 2019 15 inch unit? I can't update to Catalina at this moment but i would like to know if the update solves the issue on all models.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
So, not fixed. I was right to return it.
we dont care...since it remains just 1 bug..youtube on safari...and who is buying a macbook pro for that particularly reason?!
Yes,Apple should have an almost perfect OS without any bugs..but again , saying that you are returning a MBP because youtube...says a lot of what you do on your mac

Edit: still on beta 4 and for me, youtube and safari is fixed...what the helll..
[automerge]1576007518[/automerge]
Just installed it over 10.15.1, ran about 6-7 different loud Youtube songs, tried the skip ahead/right arrow, and stopping songs, NADA! FIXED!
Are you sure? youtube+safari or youtube+chrome? Why im asking ? because im ok on beta 4 and this :
Edit: YouTube in Safari is 100% not fixed. I get the pop every single time I click through the video.

Last edited:

charger012

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Italy
we dont care...since it remains just 1 bug..youtube on safari...and who is buying a macbook pro for that particularly reason?!
Yes,Apple should have an almost perfect OS without any bugs..but again , saying that you are returning a MBP because youtube...says a lot of what you do on your mac

Edit: still on beta 4 and for me, youtube and safari is fixed...what the helll..
[automerge]1576007518[/automerge]

Are you sure? youtube+safari or youtube+chrome? Why im asking ? because im ok on beta 4 and this..

Ok, I'm going to take a gun and shoot on my head for writing about what I did.

I've payd every cent, so I want a perfect machine. You don't? We don't care, and this says a lot what you do with your money.

*wrote on my PERFECT macbook pro 13 mid 2019*

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Ok, I'm going to take a gun and shoot on my head for writing about what I did.

I've payd every cent, so I want a perfect machine. You don't? We don't care, and this says a lot what you do with your money.

*wrote on my PERFECT macbook pro 13 mid 2019*
Learn that nothing is perfect,not even your 2019 mbp that i can make it pop like a pop concert until this OS upgrade and that keyboard...give it time (i hardly doubt you had the 16" that is better in every way "minus the portability" than your 13" 2019 model)...again...i understand and im with you...there should not been that bug...but for me, and for some others here...the audio bug is fixed..
[automerge]1576008473[/automerge]
I just installed 10.15.2 (19C57) and most, but not all pops, are gone.

Chrome no longer pops when closing a tab and FCPX is fixed too. But when skimming through YouTube in Safari I still get an occasional pop.

Are you sure youtube is not fixed?
[automerge]1576008544[/automerge]
I installed Catalina 10.15.2 and my sound pop problems are fixed :)

YouTube, Netflix Apple TV, all working fine, great :)
youtube on safari or chrome?

Last edited:

QuickNDeadly

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
I am happy to hear that there is a fix in the pipelines as I experience the same issue.

@MengkeMary - Thank you for updating your first post, it gives a really nice snapshot of the thread, especially for newcomers like me. It would be nice to add the Apple fix there as well.

I paid the full price, I want the full functional product. Reading through the posts in this thread realized some people are suspended. I am a bit worried about that wondering why.

We all will have different opinions. It is totally OK unless people are not insulting each other over differences.

Reactions: MengkeMary

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The pops remain on 10.15.2 (19C57) for me. This is in IINA Video player where I was most easily able to replicate the issue consistently on 10.15.1.

EDIT:// After playing with it for more hours after installing the update it would appear that I actually cannot replicate it anymore. Not in IINA, VLC, YouTube.. nothing. Curious. I definitely heard popping after initially installing the update when scrubbing video in IINA but now I do not and cannot get it to happen at all. Makes no sense to me as I've not even restarted the machine since installing 10.15.2.

Last edited:

charger012

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Italy
you mean the perfect laptop whos keyboard will fail if i forgot to surgically wash my hands after i eat a cracker?

Never had any keyboard issue since 2016, and I had four macbook. Can't say that about speaker in the most valuable notebook never made, 16'' 2019.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Never had any keyboard issue since 2016, and I had four macbook. Can't say that about speaker in the most valuable notebook never made, 16'' 2019.

I remember when the 2016 model first came out some people said the speakers blew when they put Windows on them using Bootcamp. And then there was this issue with the 2018 versions:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/08/2018-macbook-pro-crackling-speakers-reports/

And then just in early 2019 Adobe had to release a software update cause it was blowing the speakers on them too:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/22/adobe-premiere-pro-fix-bug-blown-mac-speakers/

There has been a lot of ongoing audio problems since 2016 with the various notebooks they make. But the keyboard problems with 2016-2019 models were so severe that Apple had to do repair programs and in the end moved away from the design entirely so lets not act like it wasn't a problem because your personal system was fine, lets go by what Apple has been saying instead, repair programs aren't started for nothing.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
ive never had the popping issue, and my 2017 15" had to have the keyboard replaced 3 times. see how easy this is?

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Pop remains on 10.15.2 in YouTube on Safari for me!

But certain circumstances (like I was playing music in Spotify, then force quit it with Activity Monitor to see if I could hear it, and it didn't pop).

May just be safari/YouTube related now?

I don't have FCPX to test it out...

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
I am happy to hear that there is a fix in the pipelines as I experience the same issue.

@MengkeMary - Thank you for updating your first post, it gives a really nice snapshot of the thread, especially for newcomers like me. It would be nice to add the Apple fix there as well.

I paid the full price, I want the full functional product. Reading through the posts in this thread realized some people are suspended. I am a bit worried about that wondering why.

We all will have different opinions. It is totally OK unless people are not insulting each other over differences.
Glad you find my updates useful.

I'm still downloading 10.15.2 to see how it is doing. I'm currently on 10.15.2 beta 4, which fixes all the pop problems for me, at least on my machine. I will update the first post after trying out the official release.

Reactions: QuickNDeadly

Speedies

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
In 10.15.2 Im getting pops far less frequently and somewhat quieter than before on YouTube... Still there though, albeit a lot less.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
10.15.2, occasional pops still happen for me in all scenarios. Thou a lot less frequent and at lower volume than they used to be.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Just downloaded 10.15.2 and not hearing any pops in Youtube or on closing the Pandora site like I was.

mikedit

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Canada
Same here, I use Amazon music or iTunes and the pops I was experiencing prior to this update are no longer heard.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Wow. I have done about 10 hard rock loud songs in Youtube/Safari without issue, and I just did 5 hard rock loud songs in Chrome/Youtube without issue. It was so obvious before, it is totally gone now - jumping forward and ending a video mid-tune. Sorry some of you aren't experiencing this.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Seems completely fixed for me as well. I had a very mild case, but could hear it easily on the YouTube video on page of this thread, and nothing now, so fixed for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.