Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
I just installed chrome, it's much better. Watched the same video on YouTube and it was about 95% better with the popping than safari. In safari I still get popping just like it was prior to 10.15.2...

Reactions: g75d3

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Lots of conflicting reports as to whether 10.15.2 actually fixed this issue. Hoping it is indeed totally fixed. Strange that some are reporting it's totally gone while others are saying it still occurs.

covedrop

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
Just installed 10.15.2 and can confirm that although the popping has been significantly reduced (more often it sounds like a minor crackle as I would expect when signal is cut), it is still there. I'm inclined to think that since the issue has been reduced as it has, if you're not hearing it you may just not be hearing the old sound, as it now sounds different. It's about 50% of the max it was previously (the loudest I experienced).

I also had to skip pretty aggressively in YouTube to really get a good pop - better, but certainly not fixed. I also had my volume up quite loud, but not full.

Will be e-mailing the representative I spoke to to communicate this.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Just installed 10.15.2 and can confirm that although the popping has been significantly reduced (more often it sounds like a minor crackle as I would expect when signal is cut), it is still there. I'm inclined to think that since the issue has been reduced as it has, if you're not hearing it you may just not be hearing the old sound, as it now sounds different. It's about 50% of the max it was previously (the loudest I experienced).

I also had to skip pretty aggressively in YouTube to really get a good pop - better, but certainly not fixed. I also had my volume up quite loud, but not full.

Will be e-mailing the representative I spoke to to communicate this.
Indeed I hope you report this as not fixed and that others follow suit if this is the case. I am a little concerned as I just ordered a CTO machine today. Wondering if I should just cancel and skip the MBP altogether? Bummed.

Reactions: g75d3

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
i updated and my popping is gone in all of the instances that I remember the sound appearing.

also to anyone who has updated, does the screen seem a tad brighter/more cool to you? or am i just imaging that?

NeroAugustus

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2019
also to anyone who has updated, does the screen seem a tad brighter/more cool to you? or am i just imaging that?

That would be interesting, I've seen someone using the 10.15.2 beta 4 (which this update might be based on?) saying his display got a bit brighter but he was unsure. I hope it's the case and everyone now has the promised 500 nits.

chenlola

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
OSX10.15.2
1.much more better ,but a little bit sizzling.
2.continuous popping in logic pro still here after only update osx .
3.both update OSX10.15.2 and logic pro v10.4.8 FCPX-v10.4.8 seem like all fix, I'll keep test in daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: MengkeMary

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
After playing with it for some more hours I'm now unable to replicate the popping under any scenarios. When I first installed the update and scrubbed a video in IINA it popped just like before. Now I can't get it to pop in IINA or anywhere else.

I also found it very easy to replicate it in Safari by scrubbing a YouTube video (but I was never able to get it to happen in Chrome previously). And here too I cannot get the popping to occur. There is no distortion whatsoever that I can hear, no crackling or popping.

It's curious how when I first installed it I heard popping just like before in IINA but now nothing. I've not changed anything, not even restarted the system. Very odd but I'm happy, popping gone.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Problem solved for me after update - unable to replicate neither is safari nor fcp. It was very prominent before - it is non existing now.
Screen brightness and color temperature (slightly warmer) is still the same after 10.15.2

Reactions: GlenK

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I know this is a silly Q. but doesn't anyone think we deserve a clear answer from Apple on this? Shouldn't they let their customers know whether or not they did indeed implement a "fix" in 10.15.2? There's a lot of people here convinced this is a hardware problem that can only be masked by software. Very bad if true!

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I know this is a silly Q. but doesn't anyone think we deserve a clear answer from Apple on this? Shouldn't they let their customers know whether or not they did indeed implement a "fix" in 10.15.2? There's a lot of people here convinced this is a hardware problem that can only be masked by software. Very bad if true!

We all bought a laptop that has known security issues with its CPU. It's a hardware issue that can't be solved by Software clearly as all the patches so far have not fixed it as new ways to perform the same attacks keep happening. I am referring to Spectre, Meltdown and all the other variants.

But are we bothered if the machine keeps working? Seems not. If they "mask" the issue with software and it results in the speakers sounding exactly the same as they should minus the popping then that's good enough for me. I'm unable to replicate it after 10.15.2.

And yes they should just clearly state if they fixed it or not I agree.

Reactions: DanMan619

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Hopefully Apple will do the right thing and publicly acknowledge this issue and let us all know whether or not 10.15.2 was the "fix" and/or if there's more of a "fix" coming. So disappointing being an avid Apple person these past few years.

Reactions: jpiszcz and g75d3

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
Isn't fixed for me. Youtube on Safari still has a lot of pops. Going to probably return my mac.
It's getting really weird. The 10.15.2 update completely fixed the pop issue for me, but I also saw a lot user complaining the issues remained. Probably you can take your chance and swap it for a new one, if you want. If it persists, you can return it of course.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Yea it is weird....I still get them occasionally in safari. But in Chrome or essentially every other scenario I don't get them....

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Yea it is weird....I still get them occasionally in safari. But in Chrome or essentially every other scenario I don't get them....
Same here. What’s even weirder is that yesterday I could replicate the pop in YouTube/Safari every single time I would click forward in a video. Today it’s only about 20% of the time.
And it’s only in Safari. Chrome, FCPX, ATV, Skype, all no Pops.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
It's getting really weird. The 10.15.2 update completely fixed the pop issue for me, but I also saw a lot user complaining the issues remained. Probably you can take your chance and swap it for a new one, if you want. If it persists, you can return it of course.
Weird is the perfect way to put it. Makes one worry about hardware. That or the ugly T2 chip is rearing its ugly head again and its intermittent behavior.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Weird is the perfect way to put it. Makes one worry about hardware. That or the ugly T2 chip is rearing its ugly head again and its intermittent behavior.

Exactly Part of me wonders if this is another T2 issue. With the fix to FCPX and most applications, I don't know if I want to return it just due to occasionally YouTube/safari pops, but it is perplexing.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Exactly Part of me wonders if this is another T2 issue. With the fix to FCPX and most applications, I don't know if I want to return it just due to occasionally YouTube/safari pops, but it is perplexing.
Wouldn’t it be awesome if Apple would acknowledge and confirm what the issue is? I know, fantasy thinking!

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder how long it will be till Apple puts out Macs with a T3 chip that hopefully addresses issues the T2 chip seems to have been the cause of issues since the T2 came out.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I wonder how long it will be till Apple puts out Macs with a T3 chip that hopefully addresses issues the T2 chip seems to have been the cause of issues since the T2 came out.
I’d be thrilled if they’d simply perfect the T2 and stop it from causing so many glitches.

Reactions: MikeVera

mikedit

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Canada
No more pops for me on anything I use so happy with that. It was irritating but seems to have been fixed for what I use my laptop for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.