Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Anyone get the feeling that the people voting ”no” on this poll are flat out lying to try and compensate for all the “yes” votes, or that they simply refuse to check for the issue using all the video examples given in the thread? Sorry, I’m just not buying that some machines do it and some don’t. That would mean it’s 100% a hardware issue. If that were the case Apple would really be in deep and I’m certain they would have said something by now.

No offense to anybody who voted no, but my guess is they probably don't want to hear it or don't know how to check for it. At this point, I'm very confident that 100% of the machines are affected by this issue. There is no way people go through numerous replacements and they all making the popping sound. And this is from Apple Stores all over the world.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
No offense to anybody who voted no, but my guess is they probably don't want to hear it or don't know how to check for it. At this point, I'm very confident that 100% of the machines are affected by this issue. There is no way people go through numerous replacements and they all making the popping sound. And this is from Apple Stores all over the world.
I totally agree. My comment was not meant to be offensive. I’m just not buying any of the “no” votes. It’s a shame that people vote that way cause it waters down all of our cases and puts a little less fire on Apple to make it right. The more people being honest, the better it is for us all! I never understood all the blind Apple defenders. Don’t they realize that does nothing but create a disconnect in the quality of the product line?

Dovydaskuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
Malaga, Spain
Yea, I am in UK. Base model costs £2399 here which is like 3100 USD or so. If it's a hardware issue, it was clearly not tested well enough. If it's software, it should have already been fixed days ago in some hotfix. Either way it's not good enough from Apple especially considering the prices and it deserves more attention from sites like MacRumours.

Reactions: dspdoc

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
Glad to see it is gaining some traction. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that Apple will go to to ignore something though. It’s mind numbing. Are their engineers this lazy?

Article mentioned Final Cut Pro as a possible culprit, but I don't have that installed and experience the issue. I think it's an OS thing.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Article mentioned Final Cut Pro as a possible culprit, but I don't have that installed and experience the issue. I think it's an OS thing.
Yeah they got that big time wrong! FCP is NOT causing this. It happens in FCP is what I think they meant to say.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
As a curb on paranoia here, keep in mind that some are reporting this on older machines, and older OS. Most people apparently don't notice it unless they're looking for it, or unless they do certain things that many users don't normally do. Not surprising most people who don't follow complaints about it still haven't noticed it .

Reactions: DanMan619

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
It seems fairly clear that this is a SW issue, that will be fixed in the next release of Catalina. Even Apple has stated so,

Of course it may be irritating to some users, but it is hardly a "gate" or motivation to return you MBP.

Maybe we should be a bit patient.

Representatives and senior advisors are making statements without knowing Apple’s plans.

They have to say something like “We are working on it right now” instead of “We are waiting for at least 50.000 reports to fix your ridiculously expensive machine because our investors don’t care about just 5.000 angry customers”. The latter would raise some serious amount of rage against Apple.

So this is indeed a “gate” and the known workaround is not a “set and forget” solution because it drains the battery much faster.

It is really remarkable how today’s “youtuberocracy” is deliberately hiding this issue. I would never pay almost 8 monthly salaries (yep they are more expensive here in Europe) to buy this if i knew about the popping issue.

Last edited:

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
As a curb on paranoia here, keep in mind that some are reporting this on older machines, and older OS. Most people apparently don't notice it unless they're looking for it, or unless they do certain things that many users don't normally do. Not surprising most people who don't follow complaints about it still haven't noticed it .

Exactly. Sometimes we need to remember this is an echo chamber of people who know better, often times looking for there to be something wrong. Regular people or people who just aren't as hardcore about this stuff usually don't notice issues like this until after it gets drummed up in places like here and then picked up by tech media and then mainstream media first. It's not some brigade of "Apple defenders" or whatever else some people are being paranoid about. Some people just genuinely don't notice every little issue that pops up. Way more often than not, people who's machines are working as intended don't come to places like here to say how great it is. So it's always inherently skewed to make issues seem way more widespread than they may actually be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanpete

ESA

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
It must be software..
The QuickTime-method works for me.

Have a sound-recording in the backround (not started just idle) no clicking-sound at all.

Reactions: GlenK

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
Exactly. Sometimes we need to remember this is an echo chamber of people who know better, often times looking for there to be something wrong. Regular people or people who just aren't as hardcore about this stuff usually don't notice issues like this until after it gets drummed up in places like here and then picked up by tech media and then mainstream media first. It's not some brigade of "Apple defenders" or whatever else some people are being paranoid about. Some people just genuinely don't notice every little issue that pops up. Way more often than not, people who's machines are working as intended don't come to places like here to say how great it is. So it's always inherently skewed to make issues seem way more widespread than they may actually be.

This is not about haters and defenders though. I can’t blame someone that didn’t notice the issue. Even some professionals haven’t noticed this because they are using external audio interfaces.

My point here is that being tolerant to a company that rips you off in order to use a magnificent OS is not considered (at least by me) as a mature attitude. I am against paranoia too but i don’t see any here.

All i can see is some users claiming what they paid for: a fully functional machine. Is this considered as paranoia?

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
No one is being “paranoid”. That’s a typical Apple apologist response and is total nonsense. The issue exists, period. Just because some people wanna duck their heads in the sand doesn’t make something any less real. Just because some people only use their $2500+ MBP to surf the web, check email and use Microsoft Word doesn’t negate things either. The bottom line is, this is a “pro” machine and issues like this shouldn’t even be a thing. The more naysayers like yourself that chime in, the slower things get fixed by Apple. Please realize that some of us are true “pro” audio people, and that for us this is serious.

Arise2B

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2019
I have noticed a thread on Reddit that with the latest 10.15.2 Beta 3 the pops became quieter.. Can someone confirm?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
It must be software..
The QuickTime-method works for me.

Have a sound-recording in the backround (not started just idle) no clicking-sound at all.

Because you're stopping the amps from powering down (or whatever is making the pop). That doesn't mean it's software, you're not hearing pops because you're avoiding the situation where the pops happens.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Nobody's 16" is "working as intended". I would bet my life savings that EVERY single 16" MBP exhibits this bug. It is "widespread". It's just that some people don't work in a way that would make the bug immediately evident. Trying to brush dirt under a rug doesn't make it go away. I challenge anyone that's saying this is a non-issue to actually read this entire thread and follow the video examples. I guarantee you that their machine will have the issue. People just don't want to see/hear it. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Nobody's 16" is "working as intended". I would bet my life savings that EVERY single 16" MBP exhibits this bug. It is "widespread". It's just that some people don't work in a way that would make the bug immediately evident. Trying to brush dirt under a rug doesn't make it go away. I challenge anyone that's saying this is a non-issue to actually read this entire thread and follow the video examples. I guarantee you that their machine will have the issue. People just don't want to see/hear it. Ignorance is bliss.

I'd have to agree. Didn't notice it for the first few days so I voted "no", but changed it to "yes" after hearing it. It seems to be dependent on volume and the audio frequencies you are listening to.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I'd have to agree. Didn't notice it for the first few days so I voted "no", but changed it to "yes" after hearing it. It seems to be dependent on volume and the audio frequencies you are listening to.
Wish there were more "no" voters like you! ;) What puzzles me the most about this is MR not engaging.

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Wish there were more "no" voters like you! ;) What puzzles me the most about this is MR not engaging.

I think once you vote, you're less bothered to change it. I'm seeing many articles from other sites about it from Google news search. It's picking up news traction, they all follow each other.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
This is not about haters and defenders though. I can’t blame someone that didn’t notice the issue. Even some professionals haven’t noticed this because they are using external audio interfaces.

My point here is that being tolerant to a company that rips you off in order to use a magnificent OS is not considered (at least by me) as a mature attitude. I am against paranoia too but i don’t see any here.

All i can see is some users claiming what they paid for: a fully functional machine. Is this considered as paranoia?
It's paranoia and blaming when you say "It is really remarkable how today’s “youtuberocracy” is deliberately hiding this issue" or "People just don't want to see/hear it. Ignorance is bliss."

No one is being “paranoid”. That’s a typical Apple apologist response and is total nonsense. The issue exists, period. Just because some people wanna duck their heads in the sand doesn’t make something any less real. Just because some people only use their $2500+ MBP to surf the web, check email and use Microsoft Word doesn’t negate things either. The bottom line is, this is a “pro” machine and issues like this shouldn’t even be a thing. The more naysayers like yourself that chime in, the slower things get fixed by Apple. Please realize that some of us are true “pro” audio people, and that for us this is serious.
I bolded the paranoid parts for you. There's no evidence anyone wants to duck their heads in the sand on this. Nor am I or those who haven't noticed the issue naysayers. I nowhere denied it's an issue. I explained why the paranoia about it is wrongheaded. Those who don't hear it haven't denied others hear it.

• Haha

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
It's paranoia and blaming when you say "It is really remarkable how today’s “youtuberocracy” is deliberately hiding this issue" or "People just don't want to see/hear it. Ignorance is bliss."

That first phrase is indeed mine. Of course i am blaming You Tubers. They are praising these machines all over the place without mentioning any of these problems. Have we forgot what a freaking review is about?

All the 16 inch units have this issue, we know this now. It’s a fact. If you are a content creator it’s simply impossible to miss this issue. The majority of those You Tubers are using FCPX to test the render times, so they definitely know about this. This is how a 2019 MacBook welcomes you inside FCPX: “Pop, hi dude, Pop, Pop”.

So do you think there is a chance that, let’s say, Max didn’t notice this during his tests? And what about the other dudes?

I noticed this during the first 30 seconds of ownership and you are telling me that all these guys that are making their living by testing and reviewing these machines just missed it? Now this is paranoid.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
That first phrase is indeed mine. Of course i am blaming You Tubers. They are praising these machines all over the place without mentioning any of these problems. Have we forgot what a freaking review is about?

All the 16 inch units have this issue, we know this now. It’s a fact. If you are a content creator it’s simply impossible to miss this issue. The majority of those You Tubers are using FCPX to test the render times, so they definitely know about this. This is how a 2019 MacBook welcomes you inside FCPX: “Pop, hi dude, Pop, Pop”.

So do you think there is a chance that, let’s say, Max didn’t notice this during his tests? And what about the other dudes?

I noticed this during the first 30 seconds of ownership and you are telling me that all these guys that are making their living by testing and reviewing these machines just missed it? Now this is paranoid.
Couldn't agree with you more! It's so disappointing to see things like this continually and purposely glossed over. Corrupt really. Plausible deniability is lie.

Reactions: dmstasinos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.