Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
When they said that about 2018?? I litterely tried ...and talk to the global apple support and never heard about them (Apple) to said they are aware and try to fix it
If "them" for you ...you mean the users...thats another case...and you are right..but Apple never said that in 2018

You probably missed this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2018-speakers-crackling.2128234/

Edit: Apperantly you didn't miss it because you also posted it in :p But 60 pages of replies on this issue for the 2018 model says enough I believe.

Quite some users (including me) got information from "senior advisors" that it would be fixed "soon" but they never did.

Last edited:
Reactions: g75d3

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
Hey guys. I’m a software engineer with digital signal processing experience. I can tell you with 100% confidence that this is a software issue, very likely drivers. This pop happens because when audio is skipped or paused, the sample buffer is not being written or read correctly. You end up with a very small “gap” in the wave data, which then creates a momentary partial square wave. The sound you’re hearing is the square wave; it’s a sudden, sharp change in amplitude, which then pops the speaker.

This can be any one or combination of all sorts of stuff, like a synchronization issue (blocking IO during a read/write mutex), or even a thread scheduling issue (buffer written to before its processed because the DSP didn’t get enough CPU time). It could also be a bad write, like incorrectly initialized bytes (zeroes when it should be actual data, or random bytes when it should be zeroed). There are many possibilities, but they’re all well-solved.

All of this runs on Core Audio, which is Apple’s super high quality, low latency audio subsystem. These types of issues are common with low latency audio and can easily be fixed with various methods. Low latency audio takes a lot of tweaking to get right and this is just part of the process. Apple is almost always top of their class with this, so I’m pretty confident they will issue a software update with a well-tested, well-researched solution. I’m not worried.

The reason why the issue goes away if you constantly have audio playing in the background is because the system mixes all audio through Core Audio, then the mix is sent to the audio drivers at a very low level, almost directly to the wave buffer. When audio is started and stopped, or even possibly skipped around, processing is scheduled and terminated over and over, triggering the issue (whatever it is). If there is always audio playing, there is always a thread processing the buffer and always a thread writing to the buffer. This is precisely why I believe the issue is with drivers, not Core Audio; it does appear that Core Audio is doing exactly what it’s supposed to do, which would also explain why the issue is not reported on other MacBook/Pro models at this time, despite being on the same version of the operating system.

In the mean time, if you have critical audio requirements, professional audio software can take direct control of your audio interfaces, which would then circumvent these pops/clicks. So if you have a pro application, you’re fine. Audio applications will let you control sample rates and buffer size; you could temporarily run a larger buffer to avoid this issue, at the cost of higher latency. Still, it’d be low enough. It also may be a non issue if it’s constantly running the audio engine (see previous paragraph/explanation).

I hope this calms some nerves. :)

Last edited:

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
Hey guys. I’m a software engineer with digital signal processing experience. I can tell you with 100% confidence that this is a software issue, very likely drivers. This pop happens because when audio is skipped or paused, the sample buffer is not being written or read correctly. You end up with a very small “gap” in the wave data, which then creates a momentary partial square wave. The sound you’re hearing is the square wave; it’s a sudden, sharp change in amplitude, which then pops the speaker.
I hope this calms some nerves. :)

Thanks man! This is a good explanation and i wish i got something like this 3 months ago when i first contacted Apple about this. They wanted to change my speakers, go figure... As i wrote before this is the exact same square waveform that can be heard when the buffer size inside an audio app is insufficient.

Too bad that FCPX doesn't have an option to set a different buffer size and i guess this is the reason why popping doesn't occur inside Logic Pro X, right? I guess Logic uses a bigger buffer size by default so that it can handle large audio samples.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I just noticed this today on my 16", too. Also while skipping through a video on YouTube. Hopefully, as a few have said, this is just software.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
Thanks man! This is a good explanation and i wish i got something like this 3 months ago when i first contacted Apple about this. They wanted to change my speakers, go figure... As i wrote before this is the exact same square waveform that can be heard when the buffer size inside an audio app is insufficient.

Too bad that FCPX doesn't have an option to set a different buffer size and i guess this is the reason why popping doesn't occur inside Logic Pro X, right? I guess Logic uses a bigger buffer size by default so that it can handle large audio samples.
I don't know anything about FCPX, but I'm assuming that since it's a video editing app, it just uses the high level system audio API, which will not allow the software to take exclusive control of the audio interface, much less even be aware of it. Just like your web browser, it probably doesn't care.

Logic Pro X, Cubase, ProTools, and other audio-specific software actually skips CoreAudio and goes straight to the driver at a very low level. They act as their own audio engines, essentially. They can have direct control of the ring buffer (among other things) that is processed by the driver, including the allocation of the buffer, which is how these apps let you select how many "samples" large the buffer is. They are also directly responsible for writing data to that buffer, rather than asking the operating system's audio engine (Core Audio) to do it on its behalf. With that fine, low level control, these apps are basically "always on" and your system is constantly running the audio pipeline, rather than turning on an off when sounds are being played, stopped, etc.

Without actually having access to Apple's code (and I'm really not an expert), my guess is that Core Audio has some power consumption optimizations that will start and stop the ring buffer processing, but there's some type of timing or IO issue at the driver level when the pipeline starts and stops. Wild guess here; I have no evidence to back this up.

So now to answer you directly about Logic...

My guess, without looking at code and instrumenting/debugging the system, is that Logic Pro doesn't pop not because of the buffer size, but because it is "always on." In fact, most software like that end up using hacks and micro-optimizations to use an even *smaller* ring buffer to lower the latency even more!

"Samples" is a loaded term that means two things:
1. To a musician, it's a sound clip, like an instrument or something. A whole sound.
2. To a digital signal engineer, it's a momentary, digital approximation of an analog signal.

So when marketing material says something can handle large samples, they're talking about definition number one. What you want your software to do is to actually have the smallest sample buffer your hardware/software can physically handle without race hazards (which causes pops).

This was fun. I basically never get to talk about this stuff in normal, plain English. Woohoo!

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Watch the numerous videos demonstrating it.
Okay, I listened to the samples people posted.

That is not a “crackling;” that is a faint popping sound after hitting the fast forward.

I can confirm I have it as well, although I didn’t notice it until I read about it on here.
It’s faint to me and doesn’t sound like a “crackling” at all.

Whatever—thanks, because now I can’t unhear it.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Okay, I listened to the samples people posted.

That is not a “crackling;” that is a faint popping sound after hitting the fast forward.

I can confirm I have it as well, although I didn’t notice it until I read about it on here.
It’s faint to me and doesn’t sound like a “crackling” at all.

Whatever—thanks, because now I can’t unhear it.
Sorry that you can't not hear it now, but the more people hammering Apple the better the chance they will actually do something.

covedrop

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
So when I have Logic open and my IO buffer size to 512, the popping is essentially gone, and even moreso at 1024. If I close Logic, the popping is back again. This seems to set in stone the fact this is a software issue presenting via hardware.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So when I have Logic open and my IO buffer size to 512, the popping is essentially gone, and even moreso at 1024. If I close Logic, the popping is back again. This seems to set in stone the fact this is a software issue presenting via hardware.
If true it should be a piece of cake fix for Apple. One that should have already been implemented.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
this happens on youtube on firefox for me. If I pay a video and decide to watch another one it makes the sound. Also when an ad on a video plays and it gives me the "skip ads" option it will pop as well.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Whats odd is I was messing around with a 13 inch (2019 2 Thunderbolt model) that kind of does the same thing when skipping through you tube occasionally (not as noticeable likely because the speakers on this "base" model are so paltry by comparison to the 16 that it can't project the lower frequency that I believe the "pop" resides in.

So it does make me think that its more a software issue like mentioned above

Evadne W.

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
Shoreditch, London
I have been able to reproduce this both with internal speakers when skipping/seeking in YouTube (Safari), and with headphones plugged into the headphone jack when adjusting volume levels.

Part of me thinks this is a software bug, but what we really need now is for a few brave souls to try and reproduce this on Windows or Linux (via Boot Camp)

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I know it is not the Apple way, but considering that this issue affects many if not most/all of the 16" models, I think it would be in their best interest to acknowledge it and report publicly that they are working on a fix. Otherwise they may have lines at the Apple stores similar to new product launches on Jan 8, with people returning their computers because of an issue the employees "have never heard of before".

Reactions: MikeVera

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I know it is not the Apple way, but considering that this issue affects many if not most/all of the 16" models, I think it would be in their best interest to acknowledge it and report publicly that they are working on a fix. Otherwise they may have lines at the Apple stores similar to new product launches on Jan 8, with people returning their computers because of an issue the employees "have never heard of before".
I hate to say this, but I returned mine the next day after buying it. I have ZERO tolerance for this kind of sloppy B.S. out of Apple. I miss Steve... ;)

Something I do not understand about MR is why they seemingly ignore issues like this? You'd think that they would be all up in Apple's grill to help their audience. Instead they sit idly by with their lips buttoned. It's a shame that MR will bitch at Apple about certain miniscule things, but then totally gloss over REAL issues like this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.