Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Can I ask, why did you buy a 7 and an 8 if you were happy with the 6s?
6+ not 6S. I'm curious too. I still have my 6S as a backup phone and I couldn't imagine using a 6. I owned a 6 for one month right when it was released and sold it as it offered no performance difference compared to my 5S... The 6S was the phone the 6 should of been

Anne Fu

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Switched to 7+ from Android about two years ago; it's every bit as fast as it was when I got it. Battery is, like most Apple products, just okay - but no worse than it was when I got the phone. I'm considering the new one, though - mostly because I like buying new tech, tbh...

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
I'll keep using my 7 until support stops for it or Apple put out an iPhone with USB-C, whichever comes first.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
My high school son is using my old 7 Plus and it's fine but I'll probably upgrade him to the 9/SE (if it comes in a Plus size) or something else affordable. Maybe a used Xr.
Same here. My high school son has been using a 7+ for 2 years now. He complains about the battery life but other than that he's fine with it and still works well. I will probably upgrade him soon though.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Have a 7 for work. Just need to answer calls, check some emails, and on occasion take a photo. It does the job.

On the other hand I upgrade my personal phone every year.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Almost 0% chance of 4gb. I think it’s pretty much locked in at 3gb.

I was actually hoping for 4 GB of RAM, but I suspect you are correct. I don’t see Apple venturing over 3GB, which probably is sufficient, but I personally would rather have the additional ram for prolonged longevity.

Reactions: Jimmy James

tollermee

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
Still using the 7, though I did replace the battery last year. Works great, though I'll be replacing it with a 12 later this year. 5 years of service from a phone is excellent return on investment.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I'm still using a 7 with the original battery. The battery life is bad now and the phone has other random glitches like apps crashing, freezing, or suddenly getting burning hot for no reason. I wiped it and restored it recently and that didn't help. Probably upgrading to an 11 soon.

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
I'm still using a 7 with the original battery. The battery life is bad now and the phone has other random glitches like apps crashing, freezing, or suddenly getting burning hot for no reason. I wiped it and restored it recently and that didn't help. Probably upgrading to an 11 soon.
Depending on your budget and/or preferences you can upgrade to an XR, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, or the brand new SE that just got announced.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Yup, I got a very good 7+ and like the touch ID, my previous 6+ and 5 were replaced too many times. This is the longest I’ve had a phone tbh, dropped it way too many times that I cracked about 6-7 cases and kept shattering the screen protectors, but somehow the phone managed to stay pristine.

I do use Android for work which got replaced more regularly.

Not very keen about the X/11 phones, I guess it’s personal preference but I really don’t like the notch or the face ID. I guess I’ll see what comes out this year and either relent or wait out for another year.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
I bought a brand new Xs 3 months ago, and kept a 6s as a backup phone.

3 months later I found out its too big for my liking. It's now in the box and I'm using my 6s full time. Just put a 2200mah polymer battery in it, and it lasts as long as the Xs.

That said, I put the Xs for sale and I think I'm going for the new SE.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Still on an iPhone 7. Still works great, though I'm jealous of the cameras on the new phones. I thought about upgrading to an iPhone 11, but it's too large for my hands, so I'm sticking with the 7 for now.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Still on iPhone 7 but I replaced the battery today though so it will last another year or two. The new SE is probably decent but I'm not buying a phone that looks like the one I've had for nearly 4 years.

Reactions: cyberone

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
Yup, I got a very good 7+ and like the touch ID, my previous 6+ and 5 were replaced too many times. This is the longest I’ve had a phone tbh, dropped it way too many times that I cracked about 6-7 cases and kept shattering the screen protectors, but somehow the phone managed to stay pristine.
Amazing how you managed to have your 7+ stay in pristine condition after all that knocking about!

Not very keen about the X/11 phones, I guess it’s personal preference but I really don’t like the notch or the face ID. I guess I’ll see what comes out this year and either relent or wait out for another year.
I don't like the notch or Face ID either. I prefer the home button/Touch ID and no notch. Will Apple release notchless phones this fall? Only time will tell. I'll still carry on using my 8+ (which is not too different from the 7+) probably until it breaks though.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Still using the 7! Battery health at some 85%, but not a scratch, still working reliably! So the 2nd gen SE or 12 will be next.
[automerge]1587013406[/automerge]
I'm still using my 6 Plus every day on iOS 9. Original battery too (95 ish% health, 1925 loadcycles).
I own a 7 and an 8 on iOS 13.4 but rarely use them except when a particular website won't load. I never use the 7 except as a Bluetooth display.

Wow, what's your battery magic? How you charge your phone?

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
I’m still on my white iPhone 7 and the battery life kinda sucks at this point but it works great otherwise. I remember shelling out 650 cash for it at the Apple store, my first time spending more than $100 on a phone, and I remember wondering if it was really worth it. Now I have to say yes it absolutely is worth it. I’ve never been able to keep a phone for this long. And I think I’m going to try to get another year out of it. I wanted to get the new SE but now I feel like it’s a waste of money as this phone is still chugging along and I’ve kept it in excellent condition. It’s not like I need longer battery life in a pandemic lockdown anyway. I’m never far from my charger. I’ll probably wait until life gets back to normal for a while before upgrading my phone.

Also... I hate the notch too. Holding out for a notchless Face ID iPhone...otherwise the se looks pretty good to me. I could stick with this design another 4 years.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I really want to upgrade but trying to hold out until this SE2 is released, in saying that my 7+ is fast enough, I got a new battery in it last month, the only thing really lacking is the camera is quite crap in low light when compared to today's phones.
My dad does. I got one for him 3 yrs ago.
[automerge]1587015756[/automerge]
I’m still on my white iPhone 7 and the battery life kinda sucks at this point but it works great otherwise. I remember shelling out 650 cash for it at the Apple store, my first time spending more than $100 on a phone, and I remember wondering if it was really worth it. Now I have to say yes it absolutely is worth it. I’ve never been able to keep a phone for this long. And I think I’m going to try to get another year out of it. I wanted to get the new SE but now I feel like it’s a waste of money as this phone is still chugging along and I’ve kept it in excellent condition. It’s not like I need longer battery life in a pandemic lockdown anyway. I’m never far from my charger. I’ll probably wait until life gets back to normal for a while before upgrading my phone.

Also... I hate the notch too. Holding out for a notchless Face ID iPhone...otherwise the se looks pretty good to me. I could stick with this design another 4 years.
Ya I know. I don’t even see a need to upgrade till 2021. I don’t think we will be traveling overseas to warrant a nicer camera quality since we are just staying home

Reactions: Locke Cole

nick_iphone7

Suspended
Dec 4, 2019
Yes, and it’s great, I really love it. The colours are good, the camera is still good, the quality of sounds are good... It’s ok, really.

nermal0

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Germany
On my second 7, just had the battery replaced by Apple. Flawless device, lighter than 8 and SE, probably better battery life too. Running fast as well, so I’m finding it really difficult to justify upgrading to the SE.

tenordrum

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2019
DC Beltway
My company phone is a 7 that will end up being mine when I retire in a few weeks. While I would prefer a newer model (and a plus size for my aging eyes), I think having a 5G capability is worth waiting a while. The 7 is only 5 months old after they gave me an upgrade from a 6. (the company is pretty frugal when it comes to cell phones).

If an SE+ appears with 5g eventually, that would be nice. I have a canon full frame mirrorless camera, so the camera on the phone is not a big deal for me. Still, I looked at the "deals" offered if I traded the 7 in on a newer phone. If I didn't want 5G, the new SE would be a nice lower cost upgrade after trade in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.