Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Using my matte black iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB bought at release in 2016.

Still on the original battery, battery health at 87%.

I feel stuck as I don’t see a viable upgrade path at this time:

- an SE 2 has a smaller display, single lens camera, and doesn’t really feel like a real upgrade to me (I feel as if the SE 2 should be called the iPhone 8S)

- an 11 Pro Max (or, come september: iPhone 12 Pro Ultra Top Rocket, whatever they’re going to call it) is way, way, way too expensive, as in: it’s priced at €1459 over here in Europe (for my US friends: that’s $1630)

So I’ll just keep using my 7 Plus for now, until it breaks or until Apple stops supporting it, whichever comes first.
Not that there's anything wrong with keeping your 7+, but you don't mention the 11 (or 6.1" 12), which seems like the obvious upgrade. Any reason you aren't considering that?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
What’s an original iPhone 7? There was only one iPhone 7.

Most likely he meant an iPhone with a battery that is not yet replaced. To OP, we have an iPhone 7 and 8, and see no reason to upgrade anytime soon. The only charm that sometimes tempts me is dual SIM, that's it.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm still using my 7 Plus in 2020! But , it's age is showing so I will update soon when it hits 4 years old. When I think of everything that I've put it through , I feel that it's earned a quiet retirement.

psg2000

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
UK
Still on a 7+ whilst my wife has a 6s.
the 8 just looked the same
The x had the notch
The 11 felt heavier.
my wife often says ‘use your phone as yours has the best camera’
I’m considering the 12...

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
My wife upgraded from her first generation SE to my old 7. It wasn’t really that old since it was replaced by Apple a few months before she started using it after I got my 11. After thinking she never could get used to a phone bigger than the 5/5S/SE1, she eventually did and it works well enough for her needs.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I’m using a 7 Plus purchased in 2016. Works just fine and the battery is ok too, at 88% because I had it replaced in 2018. Despite the A10 and 3 GB RAM I only notice a very occasional lag and it doesn’t bother me much at all. With this performance I could easily use it 2 more years.

However, I will likely get a new one in 2020 anyway with smaller screen bezel, Face ID, 5G, 6 GB RAM, and better camera.

Reactions: jagooch

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I had the same iPhone 7 Plus as you. I think the same battery health too actually hah.

The iPhone SE2 has additional camera features that the iPhone 7 Plus or 8 can't do. While you're iPhone 7 Plus had 2 cameras to do portrait mode on any photo, the iPhone SE 2 can do portrait mode with it's single camera (but only for people! Not for animals or other objects). However, you do get the better HDR and other portrait modes that were previously unavailable on the iPhone 7 Plus. Also, you can hold the shutter button to quickly start recording video on the iPhone SE 2. I don't think you can do that on the iPhone 7 Plus.

I will say though. I hardly notice a speed difference between my iPhone 7 Plus and the iPhone SE 2. I think the iPhone SE 2 has one more GB of RAM though.

also with SE you can do portrait mode with the front camera as well in addition to the back

you mean QuickTake with holding the shutter, only A13 Bionic Phones (and soon A12 Bionic phones) have this feature

and both se2 and 7 plus have the same amount of RAM, just SE2’s is slightly better power consumption wise (DDR4X)

I’m using a 7 Plus purchased in 2016. Works just fine and the battery is ok too, at 88% because I had it replaced in 2018. Despite the A10 and 3 GB RAM I only notice a very occasional lag and it doesn’t bother me much at all. With this performance I could easily use it 2 more years.

However, I will likely get a new one in 2020 anyway with smaller screen bezel, Face ID, 5G, 6 GB RAM, and better camera.

I see you wrote almost all of that a few months ago in this thread

(Though At 88% battery health since 2018 is impressive though)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I see you wrote almost all of that a few months ago in this thread

Haha. :D I did? I guess I forgot. At least I’m consistent though. :cool:

EDIT:

I had a look through and it seems I don’t have any other posts in this thread. Maybe you’re thinking of another thread.

Reactions: Homme

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For the 4.7" iPhone, that would be impressive since the smaller battery likely means it's going through charge cycles more quickly.

I think it's probably normal for the 5.5" iPhone Plus to maintain battery health longer, though.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
My 7+ purchased Nov 2017 is at 92% battery. I never let it run down. A great phone.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Yup I'm using a 7 Plus. The battery sucks and I don't want to pay for it to get replaced as I'm hoping to upgrade soon. My camera is also toast (the OIS broke, same thing happened to my 6 Plus). But it feels pretty speedy on iOS 14. And aside from the camera, it works perfectly.

I'm planning on upgrading to a used Xs Max once the 12 releases, in hopes that it'll be cheaper.

rowi1de

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
6s with new battery here.
64 GB suck sometimes, as I shot a lot photos.
Can’t wait to double the fun (6*2, ey) in terms of camera and storage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.