Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Been using a 7+ for nearly three years; it’s my favorite phone of all the ones I’ve owned. I’ve had a few physical issues with it, but still holding up. Got the battery replaced last year, though the capacity is already back down to 87% or something (it’s on the charger right now; I’m typing this on a backup iPhone 6).

Like others above, I don’t care for the design of the new phones (or the prices!). If Apple really does release an “SE+,” as rumored (essentially an 8+ with the latest chip), maybe I’ll consider upgrading. I admit I’m tempted by the SE, but the screen size isn’t ideal.

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
In the meantime the SE had been released, but its pretty underwhelming for me. Same screen, same bezels, A13 which resembles the tiger in a cage and pretty pathetic battery size (1821mah like the 8, and even the 7 had more with 1960mah).

Also the 8 isn't much better than the 7 either except the doubled storage space. Slightly improved cam and CPU, True Tone, QI, that's it. In addition a smaller battery, heavier, fragile glas back, more expensive - no thank you.

Still rocking my iPhone 7 (my company gifted me one exactly 2 years ago). Replaced battery 3 months ago. It's still doing well with iOS. The A10 is still a beast (and so is the A10X in my 10.5" Pro) and the camera allright (thanks to OIS compared to the 6S). Also IP67 is a nice addition. But I would love to have a slightly bigger screen, more RAM and 64GB instead of 32GB, so waiting for the rumored 5.4" iPhone, which could become a great seller, considering the other alternatives are either too big or too expensive for most people. Definetly gonna change in 2021. Until then happy with my good ol' seven.

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
We still have an iPhone 7 in our house. On its original battery and it's essentially shot. Otherwise it's still more than usable. We'll be upgrading it this fall.

ratdog07067

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
TLDR - yes

Long-winded version: I got a jet black 256gig 7+ right around release time. I used the phone for about a year then switched to Android and gave the 7+ to my wife. Last fall I got an iPhone 11 (I tried the XS and 11 Pro but the Apple OLED bothered me. Strangely enough I have no issues with any Android OLED) and then this past January decided to go back to Android so gave the 11 to my wife, and the 7+ got retired to a drawer.

About 2 weeks ago, I got the iOS bug and set up the 7+. I am really enjoying this phone. It still shows 88% battery so I know it will probably need a replacement soon but with light to moderate use I've been ending the day with 40% battery left. I almost pulled the trigger on a refurbished 8+ last week and might if I see any pop up on the Apple site again since I figure that phone would in theory have an extra year of life and updates in it

Reactions: forestinjersey

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
My 7 is working but I wouldn't call it a great experience. CarPlay regularly crashes, battery life is meh.

It's been a great phone, but I see an SE in my future shortly. Purely for the updated internals.

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Just bought iPhone 7 (RG 32gb) for my mom as her first smartphone (she's 75). Price was 279€ (about 314 US dollars). My mom got lucky as she got a phone manufactured on march 2020 so it's brand new and will last for years to come :) her current phone is Nokia C2 that has lasted with her for 7 years (!) so I hope that this iPhone will last her (if she doesn't break it) 5 years. Here's hoping lol :D

Combat Fighter

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2019
Still using my 7+ since launch and still feels lightning quick. Changed the battery on the cheap upgrade deal so it will work for years still. I’m interested in the upcoming phones but still could be happy to hold out longer. The main upgrade for me would be the better cameras and bigger screen estate. Will have to see.

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
My wife still has her 7 and despite a shot battery refuses to let it out of her sight, doesn't understand the concept of or need for "backups" so when it eventually goes for a new battery she'll lose 5 years of...everything. I backed up then brought my daughter's 6S for a new battery today, both still work as new (other than battery autonomy). Some people don't get it, others do!

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
My wife still has her 7 and despite a shot battery refuses to let it out of her sight, doesn't understand the concept of or need for "backups" so when it eventually goes for a new battery she'll lose 5 years of...everything. I backed up then brought my daughter's 6S for a new battery today, both still work as new (other than battery autonomy). Some people don't get it, others do!
I've had my battery replaced twice and not had to restore my backup so you might be OK.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My parents and aunt won’t do manual backups, either.

For my aunt, her contacts and photos are important to her so I showed her how much an iCloud subscription with enough storage to backup her data costs (50GB for $0.99/mo) and helped her set it up.

For my parents, they’re on my iCloud family share.

This way, their phones get backed up automatically when they charge at home. It’s the only way they’ll do it.

Last edited:

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Yes good point I might attempt to convince my wife...once! I have a 50gb icloud plan but still prefer encrypted local backups as they do a pretty good job of retaining logins etc after Restores.

SophiaTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
I still own a 6S and a 7+, which I use as my secondary phone, and they work just fine. The only issue I am facing with the 7+ is the poor battery pack. The phone's battery performance was only around 72% last week, and I think if this continues, I might have to think about replacing the battery. At the end of the day, both these phones cater to my needs well and I will continue using them.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I wish. My 7 Plus was still perfectly fast and ever since I upgraded to the SE, I can't do simple things like reply from the lockscreen easily. Now I have to swipe first and then tap another button where as before it was just one single press. Sounds petty, but it's grown into my muscle memory and now that it's gone I miss it a lot.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wish. My 7 Plus was still perfectly fast and ever since I upgraded to the SE, I can't do simple things like reply from the lockscreen easily. Now I have to swipe first and then tap another button where as before it was just one single press. Sounds petty, but it's grown into my muscle memory and now that it's gone I miss it a lot.
It's odd that with the whole push for Haptic Touch (which is basically long-press) that works just fine on phones like iPhone 7 (and even earlier) if 3D Touch is disabled then some places, like the lock screen, don't support long-press that would normally be there in place of 3D Touch.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
Using my matte black iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB bought at release in 2016.

Still on the original battery, battery health at 87%.

I feel stuck as I don’t see a viable upgrade path at this time:

- an SE 2 has a smaller display, single lens camera, and doesn’t really feel like a real upgrade to me (I feel as if the SE 2 should be called the iPhone 8S)

- an 11 Pro Max (or, come september: iPhone 12 Pro Ultra Top Rocket, whatever they’re going to call it) is way, way, way too expensive, as in: it’s priced at €1459 over here in Europe (for my US friends: that’s $1630)

So I’ll just keep using my 7 Plus for now, until it breaks or until Apple stops supporting it, whichever comes first.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Using my matte black iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB bought at release in 2016.

Still on the original battery, battery health at 87%.

I feel stuck as I don’t see a viable upgrade path at this time:

- an SE 2 has a smaller display, single lens camera, and doesn’t really feel like a real upgrade to me (I feel as if the SE 2 should be called the iPhone 8S)

- an 11 Pro Max (or, come september: iPhone 12 Pro Ultra Top Rocket, whatever they’re going to call it) is way, way, way too expensive, as in: it’s priced at €1459 over here in Europe (for my US friends: that’s $1630)

So I’ll just keep using my 7 Plus for now, until it breaks or until Apple stops supporting it, whichever comes first.

I had the same iPhone 7 Plus as you. I think the same battery health too actually hah.

The iPhone SE2 has additional camera features that the iPhone 7 Plus or 8 can't do. While you're iPhone 7 Plus had 2 cameras to do portrait mode on any photo, the iPhone SE 2 can do portrait mode with it's single camera (but only for people! Not for animals or other objects). However, you do get the better HDR and other portrait modes that were previously unavailable on the iPhone 7 Plus. Also, you can hold the shutter button to quickly start recording video on the iPhone SE 2. I don't think you can do that on the iPhone 7 Plus.

I will say though. I hardly notice a speed difference between my iPhone 7 Plus and the iPhone SE 2. I think the iPhone SE 2 has one more GB of RAM though.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
My mum’s still using an iPhone 6... :p It has an issue with the front camera which makes photos blurry (known fault recognised by Apple) - taking it in to an Apple store soon for repair.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Wait... there's an iPhone 7? :oops: Should probably upgrade my 4s to this new fangled 7 thing!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If you have any chance, shell out the 99cent a month for 50GB backup or a bit more for 200GB and make sure her phone is backed up. If you turn automatic backup on, it should backup from time to time. If not, sneak in there once a month :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.