Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
It's probably a bit too early. Unless the problem has gotten a lot worse, I think it will take a few weeks for people to notice potential problems with Bluetooth.

However, considering that the enclosure seems to be the exact same, isn't it a fair bet that the Bluetooth issues will be identical as well? What could they have changed to fix the problem? A stronger antenna? Better shielding? I suppose it's possible but Apple has never acknowledged the problem, so my pessimistic prediction is that there is no change.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Could be. I have been watching teardown videos and I see what looks like 2 bluetooth antennas, but maybe it is just 1 with 2 leads. Or maybe they put it in a different location.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Regardless of antennas maybe it being BT 5.3 will help. One YouTuber (Mark Ellis Reviews) was one of the few I found that even acknowledged BT issues with the model he owns so I'm standing by to see what he says about the new after a bit.

evanmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
Another YouTuber (Elevated Systems) mentions Bluetooth disconnections on a M2 pro, on the chapter "Persistent Problems" in his "First 24 Hours With the M2 Pro Mac Mini." video. I think it is early to call it, but in the end the mac mini case is the same.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A "Fishrrman Fearless Prediction™":

The bluetooth "problems" that have plagued Mini users since the introduction of the "new case design" (back around 2010 or so) are not going to diminish much in the 2023 product release.

The problems are inherent to the design. And bt is a "weak radio signal" technology, anyway.

The real "fix" is to use a USB bt dongle and an "extension cable" that gets the dongle away from the back of the Mini...

10x

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023

this video has some review content about the bluetooth @ around 4:18

Last edited:

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
The BT issue is a concern to me. This is one of the reasons I never brought a mini M1. I want to be sure there isn't any BT issue with the mini M2/M2 Pro and the Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse.

Reactions: George Dawes

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I forget where the BT transmissions originate on the Mini, but I THINK I recall they are from the bottom. I have Studio and it also broadcasts from the bottom too. So I mounted it on a wall, top side against the wall. It is behind my monitor so it is invisible without moving the monitor, but the bluetooth tech is facing out and not against any surface (like a desk). I've had no bluetooth issues for nearly a year now.

Anyone interested in Mini with a setup where you are facing a wall might consider doing the same or similar to get around the design flaw (if it persists in this version). If your Mac won't be able to be nearly invisible in such a spot, a nice shelf might be a prettier option than that velcro holder I'm using.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
I forget where the BT transmissions originate on the Mini, but I THINK I recall they are from the bottom. I have Studio and it also broadcasts from the bottom too. So I mounted it on a wall, top side against the wall. It is behind my monitor so it is invisible without moving the monitor, but the bluetooth tech is facing out and not against any surface (like a desk). I've had no bluetooth issues for nearly a year now.

Anyone interested in Mini with a setup where you are facing a wall might consider doing the same or similar to get around the design flaw (if it persists in this version). If your Mac won't be able to be nearly invisible in such a spot, a nice shelf might be a prettier option than that velcro holder I'm using.
Can you post a picture showing how your mini is placed on the wall? Is there a rack to hold the mini in the vertical position on desk? The ports need to be easily accessible, and the air inlet must be free of any obstruction.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Click the link in my post and look at those pictures. Studio (not Mini) rear ports are left, front ports are right, top does have a little bit of space away from the wall. Vents not blocked.

I could have set it up the other way with rear ports right, front ports left but chose that option to better hide the wires, as I need little access to the ports after initially setting them up. As is, the 2 front ports plus card slot are easiest access for me when I do need to directly connect something.

I use an ancient, slim monitor stand underneath a monitor which comes with several USB 2.0 ports and I chose a (not Apple) monitor with MANY jacks as a hub built into it. 2 key ones are USB C and USB A on the underside of the screen (very easy access). I also use Apple's wired keyboard which gives me two more USB ports for easy connections too.

I wired in a second monitor stand to the Studio and have it sitting off to the right, functioning as basically a shelf for other stuff. A few accessories tuck under it where a keyboard might go if used as intended and then a few things on top as if it is a pure shelf. The right side of it gives me 3 more very easy access high-speed USB ports. Now there's variations of that kind of stand with many more ports, even faster standards, and a variety of ports available (ethernet, C, etc). I favor this over a hub mostly because I wanted a 2-tier shelf-like setup, and I already have a few other things with a good number of free USB ports.

As a result of all these very handy connections, I just about never need to touch the ones on the Studio, so it just hangs back there being my invisible Mac.

Last edited:

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
Can we solve the BT issue by rising the mini on a box, while staying in its normal horizontal position on a desk? For example: the Satechi ports hub that is placed under the mini as a base. Can this solves the issue?

satechi.jpg

Reactions: MBAir2010

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't know. As I THINK I recall it, part of the problem is the BT antenna is built in at the base of the Mini (I may be wrong about this though, as I'm leaning on weak memories). So on a hub or on a desk, antenna is against a solid surface. I think I've read several times that aluminum is not BT signal's friend. That's partially why I chose to hang mine (Studio) vertical and both top and bottom facing open air.

For a while there, there were many rumors of a new format of Mac mini that featured a plexiglass top. If so, BT and wifi would easily pass through a glass "window." Unfortunately, that turned out to only be a rumor so far. Maybe next time.

Note: I may be WRONG about the antenna location. Some posts say it works through the logo on TOP of these devices. If so, mine is facing the opposite direction of the primary BT device (Magic Mouse). However, the main point is that mounted vertically, I've had no issues. I didn't even try it horizontally. If it is intended to work through logo on top, perhaps I'm getting a good benefit of so many ventilation holes on the bottom of Studio making it work just fine this way (too).

Last edited:

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I've been using a magic mouse and keyboard on my M2 mini since Wednesday and I haven't run into any issues as of yet. At work however, I use an M1 mini and have bluetooth problems all the time with the same mouse and keyboard.

Reactions: Spcmac and Yurk

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
I've been using a magic mouse and keyboard on my M2 mini since Wednesday and I haven't run into any issues as of yet. At work however, I use an M1 mini and have bluetooth problems all the time with the same mouse and keyboard.
Your keyboard is Apple's BT version? Is there any difference in the mini configuration on desk, at home and at work?

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
Do you have any Bluetooth headphones? My problems with the M1 Mac Mini are especially bad when using BT headphones. So much that I've that I've stopped using them completely.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Your keyboard is Apple's BT version? Is there any difference in the mini configuration on desk, at home and at work?
I have the same bluetooth Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse at home and at work. So far at home with the M2, I've noticed no connection issues, but at work my keyboard will randomly stop working or freeze for a second or disconnect. It's stupid. So far I think the M2 has been more stable with bluetooth.

David8

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Origae-6
Apparently the bluetooth antennas are in the rear I/O shield, check out this M2 Mini teardown here.

At 5:13 he is unhooking the bluetooth antenna cables from the logic board.
At 6:48 he removes the rear I/O shield, you can see the bluetooth antenna cables attached to it.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I started up an discarded macmini 2012 i7 today
Bluetooth connecting was iffy with Mojave,
but accepted and ran a satechi mouse, JBL go speaker and ancer keyboard at once.
even when I rebooted the mini, they all synced!

this could be the OS, were Sierra was horrible as Mavericks back in the day
Monterey must be better

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Apparently the bluetooth antennas are in the rear I/O shield, check out this M2 Mini teardown here.

At 5:13 he is unhooking the bluetooth antenna cables from the logic board.
At 6:48 he removes the rear I/O shield, you can see the bluetooth antenna cables attached to it.
so what does this mean?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
There were some posts in this thread speculating about where the bluetooth antennas may be located. I provided a link to a teardown that shows exactly where the bluetooth antennas are located.
Is it different from the M1 Mac mini?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I might have been experiencing the BT issue on my Mac mini M1 without realizing it.
Whenever I drag a window around on the screen, it's a bit jittery, but I had always chalked it up to maybe GPU lag, which in retrospect is kind of silly to think the M1 GPU can't keep up with 2D windows on a 4K display.

Turns out it was my $%(#$(* mouse... I had my MX Master 3 paired over bluetooth. Though I never experienced any actual dropouts or big stutters, it just behaves like the polling rate is low, like 25-30hz. I pulled the dongle out of the drawer and paired it that way instead... and it's butter smooth.

Sigh. I was just hoping to avoid dongles, since my newer Logitech keyboard has the new "bolt" dongle, and the MX Master 3 uses the older proprietary dongle. So I'm double-dongling. Luckily I'm using a 10-port powered USB hub so I'm not running out of ports.

I guess I don't need to upgrade to an M2 Pro after all.

Some additional research... MX Master 3 polls at 125hz using the dongle (same as an internal Mac trackpad), but only 90hz using bluetooth. Polling at 90hz with a 60hz screen refresh makes it impossible for the mouse to track smoothly with the screen in the first place, every 2nd screen refresh is going to reflect double the mouse movement. So that could explain the "jitters" even without BT interference.

Last edited:
Reactions: sauria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.