Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Top of the mini facing the BT peripherals? Shouldn't be the reverse? The BT antenna is located below the mini, close to the black plastic part under the mini.
A goofy idea but have people with bt issues just tried to flip the mini over? It's not a turtle it should it fine

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
My M1 has the issue with BT. Put it up on a newer technology plastic stand and it rarely happens. This elevates the plastic base.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
My M1 has the issue with BT. Put it up on a newer technology plastic stand and it rarely happens. This elevates the plastic base.
It may be a good idea to put some cylindrical base under the mini. It may also help in ventilating the computer, since the intake is at the bottom, around the black plastic cap.

Reactions: sauria

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
I had troubles setting up my mom's new M2 mini. I have a compact magic keyboard and mouse: both are the AA battery Bluetooth versions. The keyboard worked fine, but when I added the magic mouse, the mouse would start skipping, and I would hear this clicking noise like *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* coming from the Mac. It would freeze up Mac OS in the process. I used my wired razer mouse instead, and it worked fine. I made sure my keyboard and mouse were forgotten on my other Mac and completely disconnected. I do have a PC next to me with a Bluetooth antenna, but since the Apple keyboard was working fine, I don't think that was the issue. Thankfully my mom has all wired devices, but still it really pissed me off.

I was also going to upgrade to this M2 mini as well, but I'm not going to if I can't use Apple's own Bluetooth mouse with it. WTF. These are both Apple peripherals. If my 2011 MacBook Pro can use them both without issues, why is the brand new M2 Mini not able to handle them?!? Are these issues also happening with the M1-M3 MacBooks as well? Or is this just a mini thing?

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
The guaranteed solution is to stop using BT peripherals on desktop Macs. For years - decades - we used cables to connect our keyboards and mice to desktop computers, and literally no one said "gee I wish they'd find a way of making these things wireless; having 6ft-long umbilical cords is such a trauma because I want to sit 30 feet away from a 27-inch screen." Mac Minis are already tethered to a mains cable, to at least one monitor, also maybe to a LAN and to other devices, so it's really a non-issue.

EDIT: Context: I do 100% get it that BT should work and that we shouldn't be excusing bad design or poor implementation. I'm not an Apple apologist. But the fact is...here we are. I can't tell you how much lower my stress level has been since I gracefully accepted defeat and went back to using cabled peripherals with my desktop Macs.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE Fubar's reply above this one:

You understand.

Every reader of this post should go back and read my reply #6 in this thread, posted more than a year ago.

Bluetooth on the Mini (and perhaps on the Studio as well) is a "problem that won't be fixed", and if you're having problems with it, best to either go with wired devices, or use a "bt dongle workaround", or perhaps migrate to a Logitech mouse that has its own "unifying receiver" (on its own radio channel).

Or... just keep banging your head against the desk...

Reactions: MajorFubar

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Most of the “problems” are about placement, but not simply the Mac’s position or orientation. Instead, the culprit typically is the type, quality, and placement of USB devices and cables.

Reactions: Miat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.