Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
A "Fishrrman Fearless Prediction™":

The bluetooth "problems" that have plagued Mini users since the introduction of the "new case design" (back around 2010 or so) are not going to diminish much in the 2023 product release.

The problems are inherent to the design. And bt is a "weak radio signal" technology, anyway.

The real "fix" is to use a USB bt dongle and an "extension cable" that gets the dongle away from the back of the Mini...
The real fix is just junk BlueTooth.
It's not like there aren't cabled options.
For a form factor which by design is inherently docked in one place, BT adds unnecessary faff which literally no one technically needs.
We managed for decades connecting human interface devices to our computers via cables.
They're still the most reliable option, always.

Reactions: pdxplm

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I'm using the Magic Trackpad with the M2 Mac mini and haven't noticed any bluetooth issues yet. My Mac is about 3 feet from my trackpad if that makes a difference.

Poluks

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Paris
Owner of a Mini M2 Pro here :

CPU 12 coeurs
GPU 19 coeurs
RAM 32 Go
SSD 512 Go

Mx Master 3 & MX Keys Advanced are connected to my monitor with the Logitech dongle, I sometimes have mouse hiccups but nothing too painful.

Besides that, everything is on point except that my "old" YAS-103 Yamaha soundbar is recognized by the Mini but bluetooth pairing won't work. All of my other Apple devices (MBP M1 Max, iPad Pro M1, iPhone 13 Mini, M2/M1 Macbook Air) are connecting without issue...

I'm really annoyed by this as I was betting big on this Mini M2 as the Mac Studio was a whistling nightmare.

I also encounter the first too-long-wake-from-sleep problem with my Lenovo P40w-20 monitor...

Should I buy a bluetooth dongle or...?

Last edited:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The real fix is just junk BlueTooth.
It's not like there aren't cabled options.
For a form factor which by design is inherently docked in one place, BT adds unnecessary faff which literally no one technically needs.
We managed for decades connecting human interface devices to our computers via cables.
They're still the most reliable option, always.

Sure, let's get rid of WiFi too.

The reality is that, sure, wired connections are more reliable, but wireless connections make our lives more convenient. It's rather curmudgeonly to state that you kids need to get out of here with your gosh darned new fangled bluetooth but come on man, seriously.... there's no excuse for this stuff not to work... especially if the source of the issues is Apple choosing form (solid enclosure with no antenna cutouts) over function (BT working reliably).

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The reality is that, sure, wired connections are more reliable, but wireless connections make our lives more convenient.
For some of us it more than just convenient. I physically can't sit in the normal seating position to use a keyboard/trackpad on the desk for long. I have to sit back in a more reclined position.

That is much easier to do with wireless keyboard/trackpad/mouse. Having cables all over the place has its issues too.

Reactions: jmpage2

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
come on man, seriously.... there's no excuse for this stuff not to work... especially if the source of the issues is Apple choosing form (solid enclosure with no antenna cutouts) over function (BT working reliably).
For years I battled steadfastly with that viewpoint. In my case it wasn't actually with a Mac Mini it was with a 2011 iMac. The iMac didn't have a BT reception issue, but it was brickwalled at High Sierra, which has a well-known unpatched bug affecting some Macs where BT drops every hour or so, eventually requiring a hard-reboot of the machine, a couple of times a day. The final nail in the coffin was when I discovered I couldn't boot into recovery mode with the Apple Wireless keyboard because the kernel didn't pair with the keyboard fast enough. That was the day I quit fighting a battle I couldn't win, and I plugged cables back in. Sometimes you just gotta know which fights to step away from.

Ironically though, I HATE the sight of trailing wires with a passion and I was one of the first to embrace BT peripherals. Thankfully it's very possible to have a completely-cabled workspace without barely any of them being visible:

Desk.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sauria and Cham2000

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I just ran into a BT problem today on M2 Mini. I booted up the Mini and no response from either my Gen 1 Magic Keyboard or TrackPad. I had to use a Logitech wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad so I could enter my password. I went to System Settings and checked BT. BT was running but neither the Apple keyboard or trackpad were connected. I clicked on Connect to both peripherals and they were working again. This is the first time I have encountered a BT problem on my new Mini.

I even tried removing the batteries and that did not help. I will keep an eye on that in case it pops up again.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If the Magic Keyboard is connected by wire, is it still using Bluetooth and only charging by the wire? I mean does the wire do more than charge when connected?

The reason I thought about this is I have a PC mouse that when plugged in doesn't use the wireless connection and acts like a wired mouse so I thought maybe it's similar with the Magic keyboard. Obviously this isn't possible with the Magic mouse.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
If the Magic Keyboard is connected by wire, is it still using Bluetooth and only charging by the wire? I mean does the wire do more than charge when connected?

The reason I thought about this is I have a PC mouse that when plugged in doesn't use the wireless connection and acts like a wired mouse so I thought maybe it's similar with the Magic keyboard. Obviously this isn't possible with the Magic mouse.
If you plug it in via USB it will no longer show that it is using the Bluetooth connection

Reactions: russell_314

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
I just ran into a BT problem today on M2 Mini. I booted up the Mini and no response from either my Gen 1 Magic Keyboard or TrackPad. I had to use a Logitech wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad so I could enter my password. I went to System Settings and checked BT. BT was running but neither the Apple keyboard or trackpad were connected. I clicked on Connect to both peripherals and they were working again. This is the first time I have encountered a BT problem on my new Mini.

I even tried removing the batteries and that did not help. I will keep an eye on that in case it pops up again.
How many BT peripherals are you using? And is there other computers in the area, or in the next room?

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
For years I battled steadfastly with that viewpoint. In my case it wasn't actually with a Mac Mini it was with a 2011 iMac. The iMac didn't have a BT reception issue, but it was brickwalled at High Sierra, which has a well-known unpatched bug affecting some Macs where BT drops every hour or so, eventually requiring a hard-reboot of the machine, a couple of times a day. The final nail in the coffin was when I discovered I couldn't boot into recovery mode with the Apple Wireless keyboard because the kernel didn't pair with the keyboard fast enough. That was the day I quit fighting a battle I couldn't win, and I plugged cables back in. Sometimes you just gotta know which fights to step away from.

Ironically though, I HATE the sight of trailing wires with a passion and I was one of the first to embrace BT peripherals. Thankfully it's very possible to have a completely-cabled workspace without barely any of them being visible:

View attachment 2151034
Are those Kali IN-5s?

I’ve got the LP-8s and I’m absolutely obsessed with how good they sound.

16bitplus

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2018
I have a base M2 Mac mini and I have been having issues with my Sony 1000XM-4 Headphones via bluetooth. I have a Magic Keyboard and trackpad connected which seem to work fine, but I have audio cutout regularly with the bluetooth headphones. Like every minute it will lose audio for a second. Any fixes for this?

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
I have my Mini M2 Pro since Friday and never had bluetooth problems until now. Thankfully everything is working very well.

Using only Apple BT hardware though: magic keyboard, mouse and trackpad and Apple Max headphones.

Reactions: sauria

kingdali

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I have a base M2 Mac mini and I have been having issues with my Sony 1000XM-4 Headphones via bluetooth. I have a Magic Keyboard and trackpad connected which seem to work fine, but I have audio cutout regularly with the bluetooth headphones. Like every minute it will lose audio for a second. Any fixes for this?
i have the XM-3 and absolutely no problems. hope u fix it somehow

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
I've described similar problems with the M1 Mac mini here. Maybe you can benefit from changing the connection mode on your Sony headphones. It helped a bit for me but not enough.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Yeah use the cable. I'm done with sh**y BT implementation on Apple devices.
Also people just seem to use BT by default these days, as if BT is always the best option. Mostly it is not, like 90% of the time. Literally how far away from a device do you need to be for cabled headphones to not be just a better solution in nearly every respect.

Cicnod

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2020
Don't know if this has been mentioned but I have issues with Bluetooth with a keyboard and mouse. What actually fixed it was putting the Mac mini vertical instead of horizontal. I bought a tinpec Mac mini stand and the difference was night and day with bluetooth lagging. I put the top facing the keyboard and mouse.

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Don't know if this has been mentioned but I have issues with Bluetooth with a keyboard and mouse. What actually fixed it was putting the Mac mini vertical instead of horizontal. I bought a tinpec Mac mini stand and the difference was night and day with bluetooth lagging. I put the top facing the keyboard and mouse.
Pics?

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
Top of the mini facing the BT peripherals? Shouldn't be the reverse? The BT antenna is located below the mini, close to the black plastic part under the mini.

Cicnod

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2020
I just happened to put it this way and it is flawless now. I guess I can try the other way too but I was amazed at the difference

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
I just happened to put it this way and it is flawless now. I guess I can try the other way too but I was amazed at the difference
Of course, having that black plastic part oriented to the front would be very ugly... (like the mini saying "hey, watch my arse!").

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
I just took a chance and ordered the Magic Trackpad. It BETTER work! I just spent $2300 on an M2 Pro Mini, and $400 on a Caldigit Ts4. And now $114 on the pad. GRRRRR!

Reactions: sauria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.