Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyDandy1

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2018
No it doesn't, people need to stop saying this.

You just get used to it.

The same way turning Nightshift or TrueTone off makes you think momentarily that you're screen is blue as can be, when in reality a day or two later you realize it's still actually pretty yellow - you just got used to what initially appeared really blue - your screen didn't magically get warmer overnight, just like new displays that look yellow don't magically get cooler.

Wrong.

rawrmcrawrrawr

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
This.... measured my 11 Pro Max display at 6500 kelvin so it’s accurate and correct. On the other hand I might have won the panel lottery as the screen seems perfect in my eyes.

Just measured my 11 Pro and XS with a colorimeter. 11 Pro is 6500K with 610 nits max brightness. XS is 6800K with 575 nits max brightness. So I guess the 11 pro is actually more accurate even if it looks more yellow.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Similar experience for me (except I don't use True Tone).

I went through 16 iPhone XS Max last year to get a perfect screen. Finally after two months of the XS Max being out I got a good one. For $2000 AUD I expect a perfect screen (just like my X had). I'm not doing the screen lottery again. After one iPhone 11 Max Pro, I am sticking with my XS Max for another year.

Both the XR I purchased last year had great screens (I know, different technology) and I would of stayed with the XR if it had the same camera as the XS Max.

Currently also have two Note 10 Plus in the house. Both have perfect screens first go.

You're just saying this because you were on the fence to begin with. You know deep down inside the upgrade wasn't enough to justify upgrading so now the "yellow" screen pushed you in the direction you originally wanted to lean towards in the first place. The screen is just an excuse that you tell yourself. The annual preorder hype got you all giggly inside so you felt the urge to upgrade..

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
This may be true, and Apple has settled in on a 6500K whitepoint.

However, my Xs and my MBP are supposedly both 6500K, and I assure you, at least one is not, because they look completely different. They can't both be 6500K, regardless of what Apple says.

At the end of the day, I and most others are not doing color accurate work on a phone and we just want it to look good with crisp whites, even if that means a shift more towards blue in reality. The problem is, Apple's screens have gotten warmer and warmer and warmer every single year since the 6/6s, and it has never gone back the other direction. Eventually it has to stop, because you hit a point where it's too yellow, and no longer color accurate in that direction either.

Yes the variance is another matter, as I acknowledge in a subsequent post. Personally I have never come across this phenomenon, but then I have not compared many iPhones side-by-side. In the end, crisp whites in natural light don't really exist. White is very much a product of its environment. For me it's not a matter of colour accurate work - the warmer displays just look more natural to me. But then I'm a bit of a geek AV enthusiast and have been messing around with home theatre setups for decades, so my tastes probably don't reflect those of most.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

kty39

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
Is this stuff about launch day phones being bad even true? I doubt there would be that much variance

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
The variance between my iPhone Pro, iPad Pro and MacBook Pro is ridiculous. These devices are not professionally calibrated.

emjaybee

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
The Pro models I played with in the Apple store in Leicester today all had a horrible yellow tint but it was from the photos I took with the phones.

Photos looked really weird compared to my X, even with True Tone disabled on both devices.

In terms of quality in photos, not overly impressed. If you take a photo side by side and compare it, they don’t look too dissimilar.

Yes HDR works well and doesn’t blow the background out as much on the newer phones, but it’s not worthy of an upgrade in my opinion.

Definitely not touching any new iPhones until this is resolved across the board.

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
The Pro models I played with in the Apple store in Leicester today all had a horrible yellow tint but it was from the photos I took with the phones.

Photos looked really weird compared to my X, even with True Tone disabled on both devices.

In terms of quality in photos, not overly impressed. If you take a photo side by side and compare it, they don’t look too dissimilar.

Yes HDR works well and doesn’t blow the background out as much on the newer phones, but it’s not worthy of an upgrade in my opinion.

Definitely not touching any new iPhones until this is resolved across the board.

You should read the thread I linked in my previous post

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
You know what would solve all this? If Apple would just give us a damn whitepoint slider.
You would think after all these years, every year when I get the phone I worry about the dam screen all the so called tech talk never means we get a good display, the issue is with us when we see the problem
It is hard to not see it

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Would be curious if the ones that see a yellow screen could actually measure their white temperature. Curious what the variance would be.

If anyone lives close to Gidea park in London and us having this issue I’m offering to measure the device as myself and another poster above measured their phones and both are at 6500K which is neutral...

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Here’s mine with two different color zones. These XDR displays as they call them are what I call crap. How does this even meet QC REMOTELY. I’m going to drive 40 min each way to the store to replace but I’m not confident I’ll get a good one at this point.
The store was very friendly, so here is hoping.

Attachments

• F59AF59C-4CB2-43EE-8CFE-CC2946862DDE.jpeg
    F59AF59C-4CB2-43EE-8CFE-CC2946862DDE.jpeg
    648.4 KB · Views: 414
Reactions: Wide opeN

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Here’s mine with two different color zones. These XDR displays as they call them are what I call crap. How does this even meet QC REMOTELY. I’m going to drive 40 min each way to the store to replace but I’m not confident I’ll get a good one at this point.
The store was very friendly, so here is hoping.
Return it. It's defective...

chadmclark

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Not to hijack the thread but anybody else have any other QC issues?

I’ve had the screen issues every year; got lucky this time. The only defect is a minor edge blemish on the PVD coating - like the size of a pin head ... can only see it if it catches the light.

So many many things can be worse if you do the iPhone swap lottery ?

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

HalfOnWhole

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
Mine is actually nearly difficult to read in outside daylight (in the shade). Compared to two older phones XS and 8+ and both had whiter, brighter screens /:

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
You would think after all these years, every year when I get the phone I worry about the dam screen all the so called tech talk never means we get a good display, the issue is with us when we see the problem
It is hard to not see it

Bro, I seriously recommend that you exchange it as you're not happy with it and you'll never be AND it's cost a lot of money. Exchange it and get a perfect one.

After reading this thread every year, i've come to the conclusion that it's best to wait until November onwards plus there's black Friday too on phone carriers :)

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Just measured my 11 Pro and XS with a colorimeter. 11 Pro is 6500K with 610 nits max brightness. XS is 6800K with 575 nits max brightness. So I guess the 11 pro is actually more accurate even if it looks more yellow.
You were probably just used to the cooler XS and that’s why the Pro looks so much warmer. I thought the same thing when I changed my TV from its stock super blue/cold settings to more proper settings. It looked yellow at first, but over time I noticed how much better everything looks.

rawrmcrawrrawr

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
You were probably just used to the cooler XS and that’s why the Pro looks so much warmer. I thought the same thing when I changed my TV from its stock super blue/cold settings to more proper settings. It looked yellow at first, but over time I noticed how much better everything looks.

Agreed. I thought I read in reviews last year that the XS display was supposed to be 6500K. That’s why I thought there was something wrong if the 11 pro was warmer than the XS. I guess I lost the screen lottery last year.

Itsjustcole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
Last year, I had major concerns with the yellow screen on my XS Max when compared side by side with my X. Kept it, and over time it cooled down a bit imo. When you spend so much on something you use every day, these flaws, if legit, aren’t acceptable.

Same issue this year comparing that XS Max to my 11 Pro Max. The screen is noticeably warmer. No color shift though on my 11 Pro Max, so that’s a plus. At least there’s a 14-day return period if I can’t deal with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.