Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
With True Tone on, my 11 Pro has a strong cool peachy amber tone in ambient lighting that comes from my windows and sunlight. At night, under my recessed LED and incandescent kitchen lights the display is a very nice paper white.

I leave the True Tone on because it’s easy on my eyes for reading.

I was not able to use True Tone at all on an iPhone X that I had. I can’t remember if I used it on my XS Max.

I was not able to keep those phones because the pwm implementation on them caused a flicker that set off severe migraines.

I’m pretty comfortable so far on this display but waiting to see if any problems crop up.

With True Tone off the display is a cool pure white.

I notice no off axis color shift in either my display or my husband’s Pro Max display this time. Last time there was definitely an issue with that.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Right this option is just to let the iPhone to set automatically the right brightness based on the surrounding light/brightness
Whoa, I just tried it with mine even though I had no complaints about brightness on mine. You’re right it juiced up the brightness and contrast to turn it off then back on again. I guess it is a bug.

True Tone in daylight remains very warm, though. Not a problem for me but I can understand that bothering other folks.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Possible solution:
Idk how it works with true tone, but I know how it works for my V50. My phone also has some sensor like true tone, but also it has some ai implementation for blue light filter. Noticed it when I shift manually to more colder aspect, but it has like an inertial AI kick in and it gets reverted back.
My advice is let true tone on to settle for 2 or 3 days and see then.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
So annoying my 11 pro max has the left side brighter and a yellow tint my mates new one is beautiful full white, I always have bad luck this ruins every iPhone for me

Reactions: Kmart9419

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
Am I blind or just lucky because I have had every single iPhone except the 5 and I have never had screen issues. Other issues yes but never screen.

True Tone is disgusting so the first thing I literally do is turn that off.
[automerge]1569074194[/automerge]
Compared to my iPhone X which I am replacing today, there is a very noticeable dingy-yellow color cast. The color temperature is definitely warmer that I would like. The phone I attached was taking with my iPad Pro showing the X on the left and Pro Max on the right.

I haven't decided is I am going to live with it or not.. If I don't see the two side by side the issue isn't as noticeable to me. Given the other reports I have read I am inclined to believe that is intentional.

The Pro screen definitely looks better to me. To me the X is more yellow and the Pro blue.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I was one of the people who had this issue last year with the XS Max and it was definitely warmer. I left true tone one and with time its either not noticeable anymore or it fades with time. Im convinced its the "glue drying" hypothesis.
[automerge]1569077935[/automerge]

rawrmcrawrrawr

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2018
My pro is definitely more yellow than my XS. Hard to tell in pictures but you can tell in real life. Photos taken with true tone both on and off.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 614
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 589
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 478
Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I agree that launch day phones do seem to have slightly laxer quality control than devices manufactured later in the run. But I did have to chuckle when you then turned around and said you are buying a first batch 11 to replace your XR!

The 11 uses the same lcd as last year with no changes so im assuming production wasnt recently initiated on those screens. In any case ill chuck it through the apple store window if its yellow.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The 11 uses the same lcd as last year with no changes so im assuming production wasnt recently initiated on those screens. In any case ill chuck it through the apple store window if its yellow.

Upgrading from xr to 11?

HalfOnWhole

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
It’s pretty hard to notice in real world, but there is a dimmer and warmer display on my pro vs XS (5.8), the window image, pro is on right—barely noticeable. The Pro is on the left (plugged in) on the counter image, which is where it’s more noticeable.

Attachments

• 23A0529C-4BEC-40D9-A87D-29995C9A0132.jpeg
    23A0529C-4BEC-40D9-A87D-29995C9A0132.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 567
  • C7C2B9DA-5198-4477-B805-ECC237E1E1D2.jpeg
    C7C2B9DA-5198-4477-B805-ECC237E1E1D2.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Reactions: skrrtskrb

HalfOnWhole

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
My pro is definitely more yellow than my XS. Hard to tell in pictures but you can tell in real life. Photos taken with true tone both on and off.
Definitely noticeable—and mine is the same. Hmm I wonder how common it is and whether it’s worth bothering an exchange..

Xyer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Just went to the Apple store and ended up returning my Pro Max. Screen was just too yellow.

Maybe I’ll wait a few months and try again.

Reactions: Wide opeN

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just went to the Apple store and ended up returning my Pro Max. Screen was just too yellow.

Maybe I’ll wait a few months and try again.

I would’ve given it another shot since you were sold enough on it to buy it

That’s just me tho. I’d probably be limited w patience if the replacement had same issue though

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
A properly calibrated display looks warm to most people because most people are used to improperly calibrated displays. Nothing in the natural world is pure white. White is always reflecting the world around it.

This.... measured my 11 Pro Max display at 6500 kelvin so it’s accurate and correct. On the other hand I might have won the panel lottery as the screen seems perfect in my eyes.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Yes got it thanks. But it should not be called brightness cap.
But it’s what it is. It caps max brightness of the display to prevent permanent burn-in. Even Apple acknowledges it by stating that warning next to it. If you turn it off, you see the actual max brightness of the screen. I can’t even tell if my 11 Pro screen is brighter than my X, unless that “Auto-Brightness” is off.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
This.... measured my 11 Pro Max display at 6500 kelvin so it’s accurate and correct. On the other hand I might have won the panel lottery as the screen seems perfect in my eyes.

To be fair, there is of course an element of preference, but in my experience nearly everyone uses nasty blue settings on their displays. I see it every time I go round someone's house and see their badly setup TV. Variances from one phone to the next are another matter, but personally I've never been anything but totally happy with all my iPhone/iPad displays, particularly those with True Tone enabled.

None of which matters to the OP of course. Not trying to enforce my opinion on anyone else.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Me and @kre62 have been fighting yellow displays since 2010 here guys. Lol.

Sad to say my 11 Pro is yellow compared to my XS. Ive officially given up in this now. Its beyond exhausting every year to return, redo the loan, retype in SSN, etc.

Apple will get away with it for another year. Lets see how the 2020 phone does on launch day.

im feeling the same way as you this year. I’ve been playing the yellow phone exchange game for 3 years now. I’m sick of it! It’s such a hassle. I hate the idea of settling for such an expensive phone but apple owns us haha what can I say. I will say this though, I have noticed that as the screen ages it gets cooler. I know this is a conspiracy but I did test it last year with an old phone and it did get cooler and brighter over time. I know I know. Let’s just keep our fingers crossed.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
A properly calibrated display looks warm to most people because most people are used to improperly calibrated displays. Nothing in the natural world is pure white. White is always reflecting the world around it.

This may be true, and Apple has settled in on a 6500K whitepoint.

However, my Xs and my MBP are supposedly both 6500K, and I assure you, at least one is not, because they look completely different. They can't both be 6500K, regardless of what Apple says.

At the end of the day, I and most others are not doing color accurate work on a phone and we just want it to look good with crisp whites, even if that means a shift more towards blue in reality. The problem is, Apple's screens have gotten warmer and warmer and warmer every single year since the 6/6s, and it has never gone back the other direction. Eventually it has to stop, because you hit a point where it's too yellow, and no longer color accurate in that direction either.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Yeah but the XS used the same display as the X and people all over were saying it was warmer (at least in the early batches). I like your solution to the problem of getting a bad one though! :D

Honestly, Apple’s return policy is so generous that you don’t really have anything to lose by getting a phone from the first batch (aside from some of your time if you need to return it). Anyway, hope you enjoy your new phone!

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
It gets cooler over time.

No it doesn't, people need to stop saying this.

You just get used to it.

The same way turning Nightshift or TrueTone off makes you think momentarily that you're screen is blue as can be, when in reality a day or two later you realize it's still actually pretty yellow - you just got used to what initially appeared really blue - your screen didn't magically get warmer overnight, just like new displays that look yellow don't magically get cooler.

Reactions: kre62
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.