Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I just bought the 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro. I do not need this, but have been taken in by all the YouTube videos about how "you need the max". I am coming from a M1 MBP with 1TB that was fine for me. (got to 350GB storage). I can afford the M3 Max, but won't use it to its potential. I am a light user, just using to browse the web, emails and daily journalling. YouTube etc, but not much else.

I've been taken in by the M3 Max hype I know. Just wondering if anyone else in this position and if you're thinking of going back to the M3 Pro instead?

• Wow
Reactions: Howard2k

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Max all the way. I hope you maxed out your RAM as well. Computer will likely be useful well beyond the next 15 years if you did.
Or you just buy the base model every 5 years for the same price and get usually better screen, loudspeakers, I/O and speed each generation.

But since the OP already had a 14“ i doubt he can wait that long.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignatius345

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I just bought the 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro. I do not need this, but have been taken in by all the YouTube videos about how "you need the max". I am coming from a M1 MBP with 1TB that was fine for me. (got to 350GB storage). I can afford the M3 Max, but won't use it to its potential. I am a light user, just using to browse the web, emails and daily journalling. YouTube etc, but not much else.

I've been taken in by the M3 Max hype I know. Just wondering if anyone else in this position and if you're thinking of going back to the M3 Pro instead?
Since you already had the old 14“ what moved you to even buy the M3? Youtube?

Would you do any heavy work i could understand but with this basic stuff…

And since we had the discussion in the other thread that this is basically a waste of money nd you even have 2 ipads i am wondering even more.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Since you already had the old 14“ what moved you to even buy the M3? Youtube?

Since we had the discussion in the other thread that this is basically a waste of money nd you even have 2 ipads i am wondering even more.
Just wanted to upgrade. Also love the new black colour. Crazy I know but there you go...

Reactions: geta and Disher

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019

What specs did you go with for the 14 inch M3 Max?

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Makes sense if it's a long term investment. If you're not using all of the power and are only going to resell it to buy a M4, then it's a waste

• Love

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I got the M1 Max, it was a difficult decision. I wanted 32 gigs of ram because I work on large files, and the max was just about 100 or so more. The max was also important because I use 3 screens (including the internal). For the work you’re describing I agree than an air would definitely do all you need, a max is overkill.

Nozgog

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2019
Also got the Max because I thought I would get started with some video editing - didn’t do it (yet) - but the Max comes in handy when playing games with CrossOver or using VMware.

Otherwise definitely would have went with the Pro chip because of less heat and more battery life

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I got caught in the same hype early on with the MBP16 M1 Max. Fortunately most of it was subsidized through work but I gave up on all the 'future-proofing' theories at that point.
I still have the same M1 Max now, and use it with FCPX successfully, so not completely wasted, but I'm sure a M1 Pro would have been ample enough for me, even now!

Been thinking about getting a MacBook Air for a while though, as I've sold my iPad Pro recently, and will likely go with what I need this time - the 16/512 model would do me for many years to come.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for all your replies. No, I don't need the Max and am still within the return window. Will have a look at the base pro and the 1TB one. The base has 11 Core CPU and the 1TM 12 Core CPU. Is the extra core worth it do you think? The 1TB is only £330 extra so 330 for an extra core and 1TB? The base has 512Gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.